Quotes That Inspire & Motivate You

agent 86 said:
Just done a wiki on Maya Angelou

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Angelou

Im inspired enough to pick one of her short ones as my new sig.:)

I will have a look at the link. Thanks agent 86. I went to the library and have borrowed a few of her books. I am reading "I know why the caged bird sings" about her early life.

The quote I posted in incomplete, I is: "When people show you who they are believe them the first time"

i do love jim's "bite off more than you can chew ... "

but a personal favourite of mine is "there is no reality, only perception". understanding that quote makes the world around us make a whole lot more sense.

lizzie said:
"there is no reality, only perception". understanding that quote makes the world around us make a whole lot more sense.

Lizzie, it is a goodie, but have to admit no matter how a soldier 'perceives' a bullet in the chest, it won't change the outcome much.

A Quote For Almost Every Occasion?

On Money...
"I don't like money actually, but it quiets the nerves..." Joe Lewis.

"I've got all the money I'll ever need. If I die by four o'clock."...Henny Youngman.

Creativity...
"The power to connect the seemingly unconnected" ...William Plomer.

One Horse Towns...
"There isn't much to be seen in a little town, but what you hear makes up for it"...Kin Hubbard.

Governments...
"They are like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other"...Ronald Reagan.

Horses...
(loved the description of Northerly...what a champion, and Fred is just a legend)...
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom...as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses"...Mrs Patrick Campbell...(go Patty!)

English Language...
"Never use a big word when a little filthy one will do."..Johnny Carson.

Men...
"I only like two kinds of men; domestic and foreign."...Mae West.

You should all know this little gem..."Too much of a good thing is wonderful"...ta Mae again.

Sex...
"Love is the answer, but while your waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."...Woody Allen.

"Don't stint on foreplay, or afterplay. Be inventive.".. Ruth Westheimer.

Strength...
"Is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands...and then eat just one of the pieces."...Judith Viorst.

"Here is a rule I recommend.. Never practice two vices at once.'.. Tallulah Bankhead.

And....my favorite...

"To get the best results you must talk to your vegetables."..Charles, Prince of Wales.

Rixter said:
One One was a race horse,
Two Two was one too,
One One won one race,
and Two Two won one too
Jimmyjamjars said:
THAT inspires & motivates you ?????

JIM
Sure did, from your kid at six on Saturday morning followed by "read with me daddy" you can overcome the most indulgent hangover

Jimmyjamjars said:
THAT inspires & motivates you ?????

JIM

Sure did, from your kid at six on Saturday morning followed by "read with me daddy" you can overcome the most indulgent hangover

No it doesn't motivate me. But fishing for the reactions from posting it sure does ;)

Pass the bait again please :D

Rix,
No worries, I'm just really enjoying the quotes that I'm getting in, would hate to see the thread get off track.
Keep posting them folks :)

JIM

No Probs JJJ.

To get back on topic.

The definition of Insanity - Doing today what you did yesterday expecting tomorrow to be different.

Some of my favourites (on occasion been used as my sig).

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

- William Shakespeare

Why go out on a limb? Because that's where the fruit is.

- Will Rogers

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.

- TS Elliot.

There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were, and ask 'Why not?'

- Robert Kennedy

Three stone cutters were asked about their jobs. The first said he was paid to cut stones. The second replied that he used special techniques to shape stones in an exceptional way, and proceeded to demonstrate his skills. The third stone cutter just smiled and said: 'I build cathedrals'.

- Ricardo Semler - Maverick!

Does anyone have any by Warren Buffett.
I would think he would have come out with some beauties in his time. I've been listening to some of his audio and am very impressed by the man.
JIM

Here's an extract from a post I made some time ago that outlines Berkshire Hathaway's Acquisition Criteria -

Charlie and I frequently get approached about acquisitions that don't come close to meeting our tests: We've found that if you advertise an interest in buying collies, a lot of people will call hoping to sell you their cocker spaniels.

A line from a country song expresses our feelings about new ventures, turnarounds or auction-like sales "When the phone don't ring, you'll know it's me."

Mark

The God Guy On Wall Street...

"A public opinion poll is no substitute for thought"

"I don't look to jump over 7 foot bars; I look around for 1 foot bars that I can step over."

"If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians."

"Risk comes from not knowing what your doing."

"It takes 20 yrs to build a reputation, and 5 minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you will do things differently."

"It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price, than a fair company at a wonderful price."

"Rule No 1; Never Lose Money
Rule No 2; Never Forget Rule No 1."

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree long ago."

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult."

"You only have to do a few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong."

Warren Buffett.

"The difference between playing the stockmarket and the horses, is that one of the horses must win."...Joey Adams.

"Lady Godiva put everything she had on a horse."..W C Fields.

Back