raise level of new floor by a half inch?

Hi, I have a situation where there are tiles installed in the hallway/ kitchen, which we are not changing for now (might do in a year or two) and there are some adjoining rooms which are carpeted but the carpet sits about 0.5inch or so lower than the tiled areas, so there is an annoying mini-step between rooms. We're planning to put floating floors/ boards in the adjoining rooms, but my guess is they might not come up to be level with the tiles. I want to get rid of the 'mini-step' between rooms - is it possible/ practical to put a layer of thin plywood/ similar before laying the new floor, to bring things up level with the tiles? If so how do i figure out how thick it should be? Hope I have explained what I mean.... thanks

laying ply will be fine. I have done this before to level a floor out so i can put a floating floor down. Thickness will be what ever you require to level t up

You could lay ply, but this gets expensive depending on the thickness and square metreage you require. A cheaper alternative, and something that is used all the time is masonite. I think its about 4-5mm thick.use contact adhesive, or liquid nails(more expensive) if you lay it on concrete.Also, you shouldn't need moisture barrier of the slab is fairly recent, it should have moisture barrier under it. Think about it, you don't usually have it below your carpet?

I would use moisture barrier if you've converted your garage, concreters rarely use it here.

You can staple the masonite to a timber floor. to know how much you need to build up, you need to measure the thickness between the finished tile floor, and the floor in say the bedroom, bearing in mid, not all rooms will always be the same.

A couple of mm out wont worry anyone, and if you like you can blend the transition by building up an area around the doorway only, by using a bit of self leveling cement and feathering the edges. You need to find out what type of floor you're using, and what the finished thickness will be, including any underlay.

For mine, I would go a proper overlay floor using a 13mm flooring, and a ply sheet substrate, and get it polished.

I hope this was helpful.
cheers.

Not sure of the cost but you can get a leveling compound. Basically its a filler used to level out a floor before laying tiles or the like.

moisture barrier under a slab is actually used to keep moiisture in it. its helps cure the slab. Carpet does not swell with a little bit os moisture like ply wood.

Hi, I have a situation where there are tiles installed in the hallway/ kitchen, which we are not changing for now (might do in a year or two) and there are some adjoining rooms which are carpeted but the carpet sits about 0.5inch or so lower than the tiled areas, so there is an annoying mini-step between rooms. We're planning to put floating floors/ boards in the adjoining rooms, but my guess is they might not come up to be level with the tiles. I want to get rid of the 'mini-step' between rooms - is it possible/ practical to put a layer of thin plywood/ similar before laying the new floor, to bring things up level with the tiles? If so how do i figure out how thick it should be? Hope I have explained what I mean.... thanks

If you are using floating engineered timber floors then you could expect them to be around about 14mm thick, plus about 3mm for the underlay. A total of 17mm. Half an inch is 12.7mm, so assuming your current carpet is about 4-5mm, you should end up with a pretty level transition.

If you are going to use laminate, they are usually 7 to 8mm thick so you would notice the level change a little more.

Boods

Back