RBA rates on hold

Text of the STATEMENT BY GLENN STEVENS here

Most commentators interpret it as no more cuts are on the table, regardless of unemployment levels, or removal of FHB stimulus.

The market is now places a high probability of a 0.25% increase within 4 months, with a small possibility of a raise within 2 months. And a full 2% of increases within 18 months.
attachment.php

Attachments

• SFEYieldCurve4thAug2009.jpg
    SFEYieldCurve4thAug2009.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 559
And a full 2% of increases within 18 months.

we would surely be in the midst of a serious boom for this to occur.

This must be labelled 'the recession we never had'.

The experts make me so angry... in '07 we were bombarded with the boom that would never end, resources depletion, china blah blah. Then it was the greatest depression ever, despite not entering a recession yet. now IRs are set to sky rocket and the world is on fire again.

how is one suppose to make long term investment decisions with so much over reactionary BS?

Throw a dart at the wall as to how much rates will *actually* rise in the next 18 months. There are too many unknowns right now.

The expected rate expectation curve has been wrong before, may be wrong again. Most economists are saying below average growth globally for the next few years. Then again, they're often wrong too.

One of the large reasons our dollar is so high is the interest rate differentiation between Australia and the rest of the world. Up the rates (higher) than everybody else does and the dollar will only rise further, which the RBA actively tries to prevent.

how is one suppose to make long term investment decisions with so much over reactionary BS?

This is part of the reason why I like to make a series of short-term investment decisions, instead :)

(and, I guess, a big part of the reason why I don't rely too much on the media)

Not really... back to around 5% could be considered neutral. 24 months ago we had 7.25% which still didn't really slow the economy much. We're currently at generational low IRs based on the view in Q4 of an likely imminent financial abyss. That is no longer the case, so +2% is may well be justified to get it back to neutral.

ha :).

but i've seen the cash rates at 4point-something not 8 years ago.

how is this a "generationally low" scenario?

much like the "Recession" we're currently in?

The experts make me so angry... in '07 we were bombarded with the boom that would never end, resources depletion, china blah blah. Then it was the greatest depression ever, despite not entering a recession yet. now IRs are set to sky rocket and the world is on fire again.

Ausprop,

I am of the same frame of mind sometimes. I know what you are saying and when I do my own research I tend to come up with conflicting information. Are there any REAL experts?

Alot of the time it is mostly media and when you read the same headlines for so long you actually start BELIEVING it! The good thing is: the more people that believe there is a BOOM coming, the sooner they will all rush out and buy property!:)

We didn't have a recession.

I will be suprised if rates don't rise before the end of the year.

Regards JO

Not to be an attack on the possibility of heavy rate rises, however I think it is important to see how volatile the implied yield curve can be.

Here is the chart from only 3 weeks or so ago.. There were actually expectations of a rate cut, and rates nearly 1% lower than is indicated in the latest yield curve at the same November 2010 period.

If there is any deterioration noted on the expected recovery in the next couple of months, I am sure it may look quite different again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SFEYieldCurve13thJuly2009.jpg
    SFEYieldCurve13thJuly2009.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 330
Not to be an attack on the possibility of heavy rate rises, however I think it is important to see how volatile the implied yield curve can be.
Sure, it's volatile on a daily basis. However, look at the trend from March till today. It's been consistently trending towards increases sooner & higher since then.
If there is any deterioration noted on the expected recovery in the next couple of months, I am sure it may look quite different again.
Sure. The facts change everything.

Just to illustrate what gwk is pointing out regarding volatility....

On 4th August the yield curve looked like this
attachment.php

Then we had much stronger than expected employment figures.

And as a result by 6th August the yield curve had changed....

attachment.php

The curve has shifted a little to the left, and moved a little higher. This shows that the market thinks that rate hikes have a higher probability of coming a little sooner & rising a little higher.

The difference between the 2 curves, shows that the bond market changes it's mind when the facts change.

As Keynes said When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

And after todays RBA speech it's v. likely that the yield curve will change again. There's a possibility that the RBA will increase their growth forecasts & reduce their peak unemployment forecast, and maybe even inflation.

Attachments

• SFEYieldCurve6thAug2009.jpg
    SFEYieldCurve6thAug2009.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Maybe not on hold for too much longer:

RBA Statement on Monetary Policy

RBA said:
In response to the rapid change in the global environment that took place following the financial events of last September, the Board reduced the cash rate by 4¼ percentage points in six steps between September and April. Consistent with the Board’s forward-looking approach to monetary policy, this rapid and large easing of monetary policy was made in anticipation of a very weak domestic economy and a decline in inflation from elevated levels. At its meetings since April, the Board has held the cash rate constant at 3 per cent. Over much of this period, it judged that the inflation outlook provided some scope for a further reduction in the cash rate to below 3 per cent if that were needed. However, the recent stronger-than-expected economic data and the general improvement in sentiment both in Australia and abroad have reduced the likelihood that a further reduction will be required.

Given the rapidly evolving financial and economic landscape globally, the outlook for the Australian economy continues to be subject to considerable uncertainty, although the risks are more balanced than they have been for some time. With confidence globally still fragile, it remains possible that the outlook could again weaken. On the other hand, with the cash rate at an unusually low level and the global economy stabilising, movement towards a more normal setting of monetary policy could be expected at some point if further signs of a durable recovery emerge. For the time being though, the Board’s judgment is that the present accommodative setting of monetary policy is appropriate given the economy’s circumstances. Over the period ahead, the Board will continue to monitor economic and financial conditions and how they affect prospects for a sustained recovery in the domestic economy, consistent with achieving the inflation target.

And some related coverage:

Reserve Bank outlines case for raising interest rates

Cheers,
Michael

Back