re:- Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris

Might need a new car for this new job. As the pay might not be fanastic (though i still need to provide my own car), i was thinking of buying a small car... you guess right, the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris. But are seemingly small cars but fuel consumption wise they are very economical. But are they a car a guy can drive without getting laugh at?

depends how big a person you are. there is a couple down the next street from us - both about as round as they are high who own one car .... a mazda 121 (bubble car). he has a pony tail, beard and never seen him in any shirt except a blue singlet.

yep, to my shame i raise an eyebrow and give a small smirk.

kero said:
Might need a new car for this new job. As the pay might not be fanastic (though i still need to provide my own car), i was thinking of buying a small car... you guess right, the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris. But are seemingly small cars but fuel consumption wise they are very economical. But are they a car a guy can drive without getting laugh at?

Who knows???

I snicker at Monaros.

Single Doored Commodores.

I was given a go at for my Alfa Romeo 147, red, sports car, compensating for something!!!:eek:

Now as a family of one baby I look at 4WDs for the first time with envy. Soooo much space for baby crap!

Toyaota are bullet proof and the Yaris is newer tech.

You could also stretch and spend $32k on the new Hybird Civic. Hybrids hold value very very very well so far.

Peter 147

kero said:

How about the Echo? I love my Toyota and I don't consider myself uncool in it driving around the Hills :D
Don't forget that as nice as Hondas are (and I do like them very very much) they do cost more in services and parts.
Something to consider...

kero said:
Why not a Proton....with Lotus enginuity you can't go too wrong!! ;) My biased choice, the GTi - it's small, gutsy and looks sharp too!! :cool:

http://www.proton.com.au/showroom/satria_gti/satria_gti_overview.php

If you can get your hands on one, a secondhand Toyota Corolla should be a cheaper option. They go forever and sell like hotcakes. Hubby has had one from new since 1990 and has done 462,000 km's. Runs at 43 miles per gallon or 15 km per litre.

When I lived in Malaysia many of our western friends were factory managers, engineers etc.

The stories they told make you wonder how that country could ever produce a national car like the Proton. And the Proton factory was apparently the benchmark by which incompetance and disorganisation was measured.

But in Malaysia labour is very cheap and cost of repairs are not even factored in. When we sold our car noone was interested in the mileage, just the age.

I would never own a Proton based on what we heard. Tho to be fair they also advised that the export cars had a whole higher regimen of quality control.

We did own the competitor which was Perodua who assembled Diahatsu's under license and rebadged them. Only available there tho.

I've heard some really good things about the Yaris, which is the new version of the Echo.

I'd take it for a test drive first then see how the competition compares. Oh, myself and a few of my mates drive hatchbacks, in inner Sydney you can't beat them (except for motorbikes). Park 'em anywhere and cheap to run.

Govt Auctions

I don't know what Darwin is like for Govt Used cars. Last week I dropped into Govt Auctions at Moorebank. They had Echos and other small cars for around $15000. 18 mths old most with less than 10000 klm on them. A couple only had 4000klm. Hospital cars driven by a nurse to visit patients and get lunches.

We bought a new small hatch about a year back. Compared & researched - shortlist was the toyota echo, honda jazz and mistubishi colt.

In the end, went for the colt for a number of reasons:

1. 5 & 10 year warrenty compared with 3yrs on others
2. much higher specs e.g. auto, ABS brakes, air-con, all electric as standard
3. low fuel consumption (now get 6.5-7 litres per 100k)
4. lower priced when comparing similar specs
5. good standout design
6. good trade-in deal

Very interesting (good) and easy car to drive. The CVT (continious variable transmission) means you don't hear it changing gears and steering is so light - like an electric car.

Ian

I've got a white Hyundai Getz and I think I'm cool, so that's all that matters. The reason I went with Hyundai was because the dealer gave me an awesome trade in on my ute. No one else would offer me anything near it. It runs quite well, about 7.5L per 100kms.

Back