Getting rid of my car

Hi All
Finally getting rid of my car, Peugeot 408, its been a heap of s..., had it for 4 years, birthday present from my DH, it was a nice thought.

However, seems like everything goes wrong with the damn thing. Low kms, I think only around 45,000 km, and I know when I sell will probably only get half what we paid.

I think we should get around $20,000-25,000 for the car. DH paid nearly $50,000 for it:eek:

My new car needs to be practical, accommodate 2 dogs, economical/fuel and around $30,000. I thought a small 4WD, Rav, as would provide plenty of room for dogs etc. I generally only drive locally/inner city areas that's about it. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will do the job, oh yes, and good air condition, that is another X against the Peugeot. Don't really mind a small car, has to be 4 doors, the dogs are smaller breed:)

Please help with suggestions

MTR

The Nissan Xtrail has a roomy interior and easy to drive. If you can wait to mid-2014 there is the new model coming out which looks much more stylish than the current model:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/251012/...er-styling-and-seven-seats-for-third-gen-suv/

You beat me to it. I'm retiring the WRX in a month or two and this is currently the top choice for replacement.

Practical, comfortable, economical. Just not a sports or prestige vehicle.

Just ordered my new i30 diesel wagon. Delivery late January.

I'll be sad to see the WRX go, but am looking forward to the practicality of the new car. Got a great deal, too.

My new car needs to be practical, accommodate 2 dogs, economical/fuel and around $30,000. I thought a small 4WD, Rav, as would provide plenty of room for dogs etc. I generally only drive locally/inner city areas that's about it. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will do the job, oh yes, and good air condition, that is another X against the Peugeot. Don't really mind a small car, has to be 4 doors, the dogs are smaller breed:)

Please help with suggestions

MTR

It's not exactly pretty but the Toyota Rukus is actually really spacious inside. My parents bought one maybe a year ago. My dad is tall and large framed and puts the seat right back with the back of the seat leaning back too. I am 6 foot but can still sit comfortably behind him in the Rukus. I can tell you from experience that is not the case for many many vehicles!! :eek:

http://www.toyota.com.au/rukus#dont-blend-in

Wow, 24 posts and not a single recommendation for a Holden Commodore sedan or sports wagon.

I was going to recommend a Commodore however saw the thread going in the direction of smaller cars.

I have a Calais and absolutely love it- best car I've owned and wouldn't hesitate to buy another (if they are still around).

I was going to recommend a Commodore however saw the thread going in the direction of smaller cars.

I have a Calais and absolutely love it- best car I've owned and wouldn't hesitate to buy another (if they are still around).

I think there will be quite a rush on at the end of the run, by getting one in around 2017 you could spin it out 10 years, not sure what after that?? go to the dark side and by a SUV I suppose?

It's not exactly pretty but the Toyota Rukus is actually really spacious inside. My parents bought one maybe a year ago. My dad is tall and large framed and puts the seat right back with the back of the seat leaning back too. I am 6 foot but can still sit comfortably behind him in the Rukus. I can tell you from experience that is not the case for many many vehicles!! :eek:

http://www.toyota.com.au/rukus#dont-blend-in

Yes, your right its pretty fugly.:) Prefer something smaller.

Another vote for the Hyundai.

Mine's an I30 hatchback, so too small for your requirements- but the wagon or IX35 could be good. The price was excellent, it drives well, it's economical, and is one of the safest in the market. Mine has Bluetooth as standard which I love- higher end models have built in satnav.

Another vote for the Hyundai.

Mine's an I30 hatchback, so too small for your requirements- but the wagon or IX35 could be good. The price was excellent, it drives well, it's economical, and is one of the safest in the market. Mine has Bluetooth as standard which I love- higher end models have built in satnav.

Is yours petrol or diesel?

Mine is a petrol- and manual, unusually.

It was the demonstrator, so the deal was good and I didn't have a long wait to get it.

I have an i30 petrol auto. Love it. No guts on accelerating on the open road but hardly uses petrol, fits the most amazing amount of stuff in the back (3 single beds in boxes from Fantastic Furniture this week alone at the same time). If I'd know I was moving bush I'd have gone up to the next size but still I think an awesome car for the price and it might suit.

I have an i30 petrol auto. Love it. No guts on accelerating on the open road but hardly uses petrol, fits the most amazing amount of stuff in the back (3 single beds in boxes from Fantastic Furniture this week alone at the same time). If I'd know I was moving bush I'd have gone up to the next size but still I think an awesome car for the price and it might suit.

hatches can be amazing, I never thought I could fit a green wheelie bin and a pile of appliances and speakers etc in the back of a mazda 2

Mine is a petrol- and manual, unusually.

It was the demonstrator, so the deal was good and I didn't have a long wait to get it.
Yeah; manuals are almost like the plague, these days...none will go near them.

Be prepared for terrible resale when and if you do it, but then; you paid less to begin with.

The amount of young folk we see who cannot drive manuals is staggering.

Going against the trend/penguin parade guarantees you a cheap car!

Yeah; manuals are almost like the plague, these days...none will go near them.

Be prepared for terrible resale when and if you do it, but then; you paid less to begin with.

The amount of young folk we see who cannot drive manuals is staggering.

Going against the trend/penguin parade guarantees you a cheap car!

A fair point, and not one I'd considered.

However I was really pushing my budget as it was, with $1,000 coming from visa cash advance. $2,000 for automatic was out of range.

Cruise control on manual is less useful than on automatic when hills come into play.

Back