re-routing plumbing in bathroom

Can anyone tell me how you go about rerouting drains and pressure pipes in a bathroom for a late 1970's style appartment (all walls are brick and floor is a slab so is the ceiling even though its a top floor appartment) accept for the cavity that runs all the services (between toilet and bathroom wall), Is it expensive and how is it done?? or should i just leave everything where it is as its to much effort?

In brick walls the pipes can be recessed into the brick by cutting a channel, not sure about the floor and wastes. But as a unit, this is common property and not something I would be starting myself.

in a unit, any structure work
breaks the fire rating of the walls and floor
requires inspections
guarantee and warranty to the other affected unit owners
and costs a motza

without structual work it may be possible to relocate fixtures, elevated tub/shower with the drain in the plinth to the existing drain
or new tub or shower with the drain appropriately located in the pan to match the existing fittings, many are offered with the drain, centre, corner, offcentre in a number of positions to suit renos

Thanks for the replys,

what i want to do is get rid of the shower over bath for a double shower (maybe put a larger bath in the laundry which is the same size as the bathroom) and place the vanity on the other side as the side it is on also has the entrance door making it limited in size (could easily fit a double in if i did this) but this means routing everything to the other side of the room.

ive also heard of people doing faulse walls to accomodate the new plumbing does anyone have opinions or advice on that method?

the shower over bath to double shower is not going to be a difficult change, piece of cake actually, the double shower base will likely be easiliy available with a drain offset matching the existing tub,

dunno about moving the sink, havent ever done it

The rerouting of the water pipes around the room is a breeze.

All you need to do it open it all up and cut new channels to where you want the new outlets to be. Just advise the BC that you are doing this and no doubt you will from that point need to maintain your own plumbing (pressured) issues.

As far as turning the shower bath to a double shower this should also be easy as long as you use the drain that is connected to the bath as the drain for the shower recess.

Drilling new drain hole for the vanity is also possible but you will need the cooperation of the unit below. You will also need to be aware of where the electrical conduits run as the lights for the unit below will run through slab between your units. All you then need to organise is acore drill throuygh the slab and obviously all the plumbing in the ceiling of the lower unit to connect the new plumbing. Best if you can connect this to the old vanity drain pipe.

As far a fire rating you will need to include a fire color om the new pipe that you insert though the slab. In all likelihood none of the other plumbing pipes will have these currently.

Here are some pics of core driller in action. To date we have done about 15 core either 60mm or 120 mm depending on the requirements. In all instances we controlled both the top and bottom unit.

cheers guys very informative, is it better to do the core drill for the vanity(I take it you drill in and cut a channel to connect the vanity to an existing floor drain?) or run the drain in the walls back around to the original that goes into the services panel (about a foot above floor level)?

cheers guys very informative, is it better to do the core drill for the vanity(I take it you drill in and cut a channel to connect the vanity to an existing floor drain?) or run the drain in the walls back around to the original that goes into the services panel (about a foot above floor level)?

The core drilling is right through the slab with the new plumbing in the false ceiling of the unit below. The same as all the other plumbing for the floor waste and the shower that is there currently.

If you tried to run the waste in the wall around the room you wouldn't get sufficient fall let alone undermining the whole wall with the amount of brickwork you would need to remove.

Cheers

Reactions: BV
Back