Re:The thread "Farewell from WW"

Non-conformists are welcome.

That's nice of you.

But it's when they start spouting conspiracy theories that I get concerned. WW was a classic example with his constant negative talk about the world and how it was going to end.
Hang on! Didn't you just say they WERE welcome? It seems they are only welcome with your personal invitation then. Do you have any authority to say who is, and who is not, welcome?

You have never suffered in silence. Those you disapprove of are left in no doubt what you think.

Hang on! Didn't you just say they WERE welcome? .

Read the post again Sunfish. Non conformist are welcome provided they don't spout crazy conspiracy theories like our "Richard Werner fan" WW did. In his tangled mind, everything was a plot. It was sad and depressing to read his posts towards the end. Anyone with an understanding of mental health issues would easily see that he needed help.

You have never suffered in silence.

I remained very silent when WW went into one of his anti immigration rants late one night. Didn't complain to the mods, maybe I should have. It was from then on that I started to feel sorry for WW.

It's touching that you are so loyal to his memory. A devoted friend indeed.

This grants bulls of standing open slather, alone and in concert, to belittle others.

I was actually referring to you there Sunfish.

You have never moderated any attacks on me or to the best of my knowledge, cautioned those who make those personal attacks.

Completely untrue. Every post you report gets reviewed and acted on if necessary. Infractions are handed out if appropriate. You don't get informed about those since they are a private thing between moderators and the recipient.

I have TOUd a moderator with good cause but he is still a mod. Did he "deal with" the TOU himself? But that was some time ago and he has pulled his head in since so it may have worked.

You have every right to complain about the actions of a moderator - they are reviewed by the moderation team, and by the administrators.

Moderation is a team activity. Nobody acts alone, and there is full transparency as to what action has been taken. We can and do reverse decisions if necessary - posts are never deleted permanently and can be reinstated, and even post edits can be undone (the system stores the full history of post edits).

You are slow to react to brewing trouble and only do so after I have (over)reacted. You then moderate a single phrase from the offending post but my explanations are deleted entirely and you give me a yellow card.

So don't over-react.

We aren't omniscient or omnipresent. We can't read every single post on the forum and act on them instantly. We often only know about a problem once it has been reported. We encourage people to do so if they feel a post warrants moderator attention. All moderators get to see reported posts and the discussions about them.

We also don't tend to go and edit a post unless it is clearly over the line - lest we get accused of censorship etc. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. If you react badly to it, it probably was over the line - at which point, we take action. We would prefer you just report the post instead of getting into a fight on the forum - saves us a lot of work having to clean up the bickering that way.

you give me a yellow card..

You get a yellow card for breaking the rules. "But he started it" isn't a defence for breaking the rules. Usually you both end up getting your posts edited or deleted and potentially both getting infractions. Easier just to report the post and leave it be.

I have had many issues with moderation as you know but have yet to receive any satisfactory notice of actions taken, or not taken, as the case may be.

Perhaps if you stopped bitching so much and making threats to the moderators (by the way, please stop using "TOU" as a verb - a cute little grammaticist dies every time you do that :p ), you might get a better response.

Seriously - Thommo - you've been around a long time. You've left, you've been banned, you've come back several times, and all you do is whinge and complain and make threats.

We put up with you a bit like the way we put up with an annoying uncle. Perhaps he might have some good advice, but mostly he just craps on about how bad things are now and how much the world hates him. Yes, Christmas time would be more boring without him, but it would probably also be a lot more pleasant.

If you want this forum to be anything more than a group hug, you should control the wolf pack mentality that does not allow nonconformists to remain.

By non-conformist do you mean "ornery old bear who has nothing positive to offer anyone"?

I have outlasted all the others but only because I mainly post on banal topics, and am VERY careful how I phrase any post of "substance". If any of a dozen individuals don't like what I post I am "challenged" again. It becomes tiresome.

So leave already and quit complaining about it if you hate it that much. Either that or shut up and start contributing something meaningful.

Being a bear is all well and good. But we're here to make money. If you don't think we can - then that's fine, you are allowed to have your opinion. But don't tell those who actually are making money - they might not believe you when they look at their bank accounts.

Once again I ask you Sunfish - why are you here?

I went out with a few trolls when I was younger (mostly from the Findon Hotel & Lennies).....don't tell me there's some on here!!....any of you trolls looking for a good time???

Ian.

Perhaps if you stopped bitching so much and making threats to the moderators

Ouch.

all you do is whinge and complain and make threats.

Ouch.

We put up with you a bit like the way we put up with an annoying uncle. Perhaps he might have some good advice, but mostly he just craps on about how bad things are now and how much the world hates him. Yes, Christmas time would be more boring without him, but it would probably also be a lot more pleasant.

Ouch.

By non-conformist do you mean "ornery old bear who has nothing positive to offer anyone"?

Ouch.

So leave already and quit complaining about it if you hate it that much. Either that or shut up and start contributing something meaningful.

Ouch.

Once again I ask you Sunfish - why are you here?

Ouch.

Geezus... I thought I put too much weight into the value of the forum, but I've always known that wqs a shortcoming of mine which I did because it was one of the only places I knew to learn from & was prepared to learn from (i.e. not as hard as going to study something formally, for which I am probably too lazy)....

I can see our "annoying uncle" Sunfish walking off in a huff and promising never to return. Didn't realize he was banned before. Why so?

Actually, I just went back and checked all the usernames I remember Sunfish using in the past (I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember what they were). He never did get banned, but he did spit the dummy and leave at least twice before.

However, looking through some of the moderator discussions from a few years ago, he probably should have been banned a couple of times for abusing other members and for abusing the moderators.

I note a very similar discussion to the one we're having now happened almost exactly 5 years ago ... and I found other similar discussions in the past too :(

Actually, I just went back and checked all the usernames I remember Sunfish using in the past (I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember what they were) (

Do many SS members have multiple usernames? How do you catch them out, given that IP addresses are often dynamic? What motivates them to have multiple usernames? Is it because they enjoy talking to themselves?

Do many SS members have multiple usernames? How do you catch them out, given that IP addresses are often dynamic? What motivates them to have multiple usernames? Is it because they enjoy talking to themselves?

Posting under multiple usernames at the same time is not allowed, and if discovered will likely result in banning.

From time to time, people do leave the forums and then return sometime later under a new name (either they can't remember their old details, or choose to "start again" with a new identity). I don't really have a problem with this, although if a member is banned and then signs up under a new username, the new username will be carefully scrutinised to make sure they are sticking to the rules.

There are many ways to track users - IP addresses are one way, even with dynamic addresses, for a given geographic area, you will typically be assigned one of a number of addresses - and the likelihood of reuse is relatively high - especially for high volume posters. Email addresses is another way, but also things like writing style often give people away. We have several people on the forums who are excellent at picking writing styles of various users - based on the way they construct their sentences, the terms they use, the way they interact with others, etc.

For the record, it is relatively trivial for me to rename a user or merge two user accounts together if a name change is required or you want to join an old account up with a new one (or vice versa). There are some ramifications, but nothing too serious.

For the record, it is relatively trivial for me to rename a user or merge two user accounts together if a name change is required or you want to join an old account up with a new one (or vice versa). There are some ramifications, but nothing too serious.

I remember some time ago Lil asked if you would be able to amalgamate her old account into the new one, but she couldn't remember the password and/or the email address she had used at the time (she was only 14 when she originally set it up). There was some problem and you said that you couldn't do it. I am sure she would appreciate it if you could do it for her. Her previous username was Little Sk8er.

I went out with a few trolls when I was younger (mostly from the Findon Hotel & Lennies).....don't tell me there's some on here!!....any of you trolls looking for a good time???
OMG - LENNIES! I haven't thought of Lennies for years. Did we ... ? :eek: LMAO
We have several people on the forums who are excellent at picking writing styles of various users - based on the way they construct their sentences, the terms they use, the way they interact with others, etc.
Last night I was helping my son with his homework. I type quickly, so I asked him to tell me what he wanted to say, and I'd type it. I must've editorialised a bit, because my son, 9, read it and said "Mum, no WAY is my teacher going to believe that I wrote that! You'd better make it a bit ... (grasping for adjective)". Before we got around to editing it, hubby got home from work and he was having a look at it. He turns to me and says "it's SO obvious you wrote paras 2 and 3". :eek: And I'd tried to write in my son's voice, I really had. LOL

“the Activity Of Man Constitutes A Structural Whole, In Such A Way That It Cannot Be Subdivided Into Neat “parts” Or “levels” Or “compartments” Insulated In Character, Content, And Organization From Other Behavior. Verbal And Nonverbal Activity Is A Unified Whole, And Theory And Methodology Should Be Organized Or Created To Treat It As Such.”

Pike(1960)

. . . *....+........*

I for one enjoy Thommo's postings. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree. However to get a dissenting voice on a topic should always be welcome as it is the way to learn best.

I would argue that this forum is successful because of the dissenting views that are allowed, most of the time. Robust discussion gives the wide spectrum of beliefs on a subject and helps anyone make up their own mind about a type of investment by laying out the full gambit of possibilities.

A simple look at history, not just the last 5 years, can show that almost anything can happen and assuming the immediate future will be like the immediate past all the time is just naive.

Some people are not as articulate as others and get frustrated easily because their message is not coming across as intended, and their argument gets dished and they get criticised as 'not knowing what they are talking about'. Of course if their argument is against the mainstream, there is a host of replies putting them down, they react and end up being pointed out as a 'troll' or just 'trolling'.

When you look at forums that get rid of dissenters quickly and early, you find that the forum does not do as well as those that are more open, the Global House Price Crash forum comes to mind here as it ended up folding.

bye

we should set up a voting system and vote on getting rid of someone every week for a week. that will give food for discussion for the whole of next week :D

Non-conformists are welcome. But it's when they start spouting conspiracy theories that I get concerned. WW was a classic example with his constant negative talk about the world and how it was going to end. WW seemed clinically depressed. Not that he'd ever admit he needed help. Can't remember a single recent instance when he said anything positive. I actually feel sorry for the man.

In his tangled mind, everything was a plot. It was sad and depressing to read his posts towards the end. Anyone with an understanding of mental health issues would easily see that he needed help. .

Do you realise how many times now you've said these same things about WW on a few different threads?

I found him the most interesting poster here. Dazz would have been second. WW posted interesting stuff about economics. Anyone with any sort of economic knowledge would realise that the global economy is balancing on a razor blade. There is asia, China and India taking over manufacturing thus taking over a lot of the wealth once generated by western nations. There is massive global debt, mainly western countries, and caused by the developing nations industrialising, countries printing money, inflation, deflation, silver, gold, food, water. There is peak oil, global warming, protectionism.

WW talked about all this stuff. I didn't find anything in his stuff about conspiracies.

I remained very silent when WW went into one of his anti immigration rants late one night. Didn't complain to the mods, maybe I should have. It was from then on that I started to feel sorry for WW.

What the hell is the problem about talking about immigration rates? Most of Australia's population dont want to see this place end up as crowded as the rest of the world. Plenty of surveys show this. Why can't that issue be discussed here?

We are a commodity exporting nation that manufactures almost nothing anymore. We don't need millions of people to man the factories, because we don't have many factories left. Our economic wealth is due to not many people divided by massive resource wealth. So why fill the place up then and lose what makes us great?

High immigration benefits governments, big business and property investors. Most other people don't benefit, just put up with congestion and higher prices for land and everything else. This issue will be big, and will get bigger as we get more populated and congested. It's worthy of discussion.

See ya's.

Back