Real Estate Agent

I am considering a career in real estate. i'm interested to know what people think makes a good agent, what they look for when employing an agent and why they choose a particular agent in the first place (ie. word of mouth, advertising).
I'd also like to hear from any agents on the site.....could you let me know what you think of the job??

Look forward to all comments.:)

Hiya Joanne,

I used to be an agent. I went into the game with the main intention of learning how to play from their side... to use against them when purchasing. Personally, the eighteen months I spent as an agent were invaluable (even if it did set my studies back by two years - I could have graduated by now :eek: ).

Things to bare in mind:

- Awfully long hours. A typical agent works six days a week (your day off being during the week), with one weekend off every three or four weeks. And you'll be lucky to be home by six at night, and later during the summer.

- Unless you sell a decent amount of property, you won't get paid much. The pay system generally works on a retainer, so you get pocket money each week which is effectively owed back to the agency in lieu of commissions you're expected to earn, which is balanced out at the end of each month. There are more and more offices leaning towards a 'commission only' type arrangement with their staff, which means if you don't sell houses, you don't get paid.

- Potential lack of respect. This one I found hard to deal with, and often took general insults to the industry personally. I'll put that down to naivity and a lack of maturity at the time. There are a few good agents out there, but odds are good you'll be working with at least a few dodgy ones. The office reputation will either promote or tarnish your name while you're there.

- Stress. Comes back to all three of the above points, in various degrees.

- Under commission-based wages, from what I understand, the banks will look at your average over the last two years or your last twelve months, whichever is less, when determining your serviceability. So, when entering the game, you might find your retainer is about all the banks have to go on until you've gotten established. One of the Rolfs or Simon will know more about this than I do, and the rules have probably changes since my time anyway. Obviously not an issue if you don't plan on buying anything for a short while...

On the up side though, you will learn your chosen market inside out and gain access to a wide range of extremely useful tools and databases. You will meet many, many people, which (if you like people) is a nice way to spend the day. If you can find the right office to work for, it should be a good experience.

Joanne, I've still got the PA guide that I wrote when leaving my last job. If you like, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you an adjusted copy (some of the things in there are a little too specific for open information). If nothing else, it could give you an idea of the day-to-day things you'll find yourself doing - and, I guess, suggestions you can make to your boss as though they were your own ideas ;)

Good luck!

James :D

I'm led to believe in Real Estate that 20% of Agents make 80% of the money ?

Interestingly a Mortgage Broking firm here in WA that has also got into Property Developing is now looking at a REA Licence and a few other things....and Many REA Companies now have Depreciation arms etc, it'llbe interesting to see how things develop and more companies try and offer "one stop shops"

I'm led to believe in Real Estate that 20% of Agents make 80% of the money ?

I think this is true - and yet 95% of the RE agents we meet drive up in some of the nicest cars I've seen! As a buyer, I tend to find this obnoxious - and I also find of those 95% in the flash cars, I trust less than 5% of them after meeting them - and yet nearly 90% of those who drive modest cars we seem to trust very well.

Just my random observations. On a side note, I have 2 RE agent friends who insist on driving flash cars to impress their customers - they're great friends, don't know if I trust them as an agent though ;)

Cheers,
Jen

I think this is true - and yet 95% of the RE agents we meet drive up in some of the nicest cars I've seen! As a buyer, I tend to find this obnoxious - and I also find of those 95% in the flash cars, I trust less than 5% of them after meeting them - and yet nearly 90% of those who drive modest cars we seem to trust very well.

You can trust me then, I drive a 7 year old Commondore!! :D It'll last me a year or 2 more yet. I hate paying out for depreciationg stuff like cars. Although, I may have to get myself a 4 wheel drive.... some people don't seem to want to walk across 60 or 80 acres. Don't they know it's good exercise? :rolleyes:

Hi joannep,

I would just like to wish you luck in your new profession, as the job is more about people than it is about houses, if you like people then you will find it is really rewarding.

Paulie

Good to see you are still here helping SOS, I got distracted with my bike for a while :rolleyes:

Lots of what I read is true. One thing though about choice of vehicles. Would you be happier if your REA or Solicitor drove up in a 10yr old Falcon ? I agree that some go over board, so I think thats your point. I drive a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and I am the principal, some say why don't I buy a new car, I say why this one is fine.

Not all agents work extra long hours, although forget the 38-40hr week most are accustomed to. 50-60 is more the norm here. I have sales people who earn 50 and others that earn 150,000 pa. Like any indistry there are good and bad eggs. I have 3 IT people that I have delt with in the last 12mths here and I told one yesterday I don't have faith in any of them.

Its a great industry, been at it since 1992. One other thing is I am not so keen when people refer to it as a "game" IMHO it makes it sound like a circus. Its a proffession, think of it like that and act like that and people will treat you like that.

take care

RE Agent

Hi Joanne

I was a high school teacher for 15 years and resigned to go into RE sales in July '04.

I knew the people in this (Independent) office and this gave me the confidence to leave teaching and to come here.

On income. I left teaching for a new challenge - I was on 60k something and in my first year made about 50k. I am on Commission only.

I would not like to live pay to pay and be in Real Estate sales. Second year was about the same. I really believe that if you look after people and stay in touch you will do really well. (provided you have good interpersonal skills as others have mentioned.)

I have a strong interest in investing and developing so I have learnt heaps on this side of the fence.

Skills: All those that make someone effective in life or any career. Organisation, motivation and people skills.

Invest in yourself and anything that might help.

Hours can be long- weekend work can be pain (I have a 12yr old son whose weekend games I regularly miss)

It is a challenging career- one I would not have been cut out for at 19 but many of the successful agents out there started young.

Think longer term- honesty and integrity are the only way to go.

Good luck

Tony

One other thing is I am not so keen when people refer to it as a "game" IMHO it makes it sound like a circus. Its a proffession, think of it like that and act like that and people will treat you like that.

Hiya,

David, no offence intended there. Believe me, I certainly treated it as a profession whilst I was there.

My philosophy on life though, is to treat most things like a game; property (as an agent or investor), dating, work, just about everything.

The aim is to have fun. And, ideally, to win. :D

Makes life much more enjoyable that way, and, IMHO, me a much more pleasant person to deal with than I might be otherwise.

Cheers

James.

James it was not aimed at anyone here, I have one salesman who says it and I kick him everytime. But hey what can I do when he makes over 150,000/yr which means the same for me.

I do understand where you/he are coming from in principal.

One more thing I would like to add, about the hours. Do NOT let the job become your life. Have a life outside the job. Money is a means to a life not a life in itself. I have Wednesdays off, I spend it with my wife most times. I tell people I am booked up with appointments that day, well I am.

A wise man once told me "pay yourself first and the bills will still get paid"

Without being silly about it, give it a try. It works. If you pay bills first you will find very little left over at most times. But pay/draw your wages first and the bills somehow still get paid.

One more thing I would like to add, about the hours. Do NOT let the job become your life. Have a life outside the job. Money is a means to a life not a life in itself. I have Wednesdays off, I spend it with my wife most times. I tell people I am booked up with appointments that day, well I am.

thanks David, the one good thing about my working in real estate is that I am not in it for the money (although if I do earn some it'll be fantastic). Hubby & I invest full-time so my entry into real estate will be purely for the love of property & working with people. the downside is that I am not sure whether I'll have the same "hunger" as an agent who needs a sale to feed his kids or pay the mortgage. I've certainly got the determination though so I'll see how it all goes.:)

the downside is that I am not sure whether I'll have the same "hunger" as an agent who needs a sale to feed his kids or pay the mortgage. I've certainly got the determination though so I'll see how it all goes.:)

I see that as a downside for them not you. Short term agents who get into that state will end up out of the business sad to say.

Its as if they have a tattoo on their forehead saying "I gotta have a sale today or I die"

You can think it inside, but never let it show. At best, think positive and never let it even enter your head. Easier said than done I know, but once you start on the road to positive thinking you never look sideways.

We are seeing agents act in desparate ways here at the moment as the also ran agents fight to survive. The stronger agents just keep on keeping on. Be that agent, don't let yourself become that desparate agent. Accept that although you may think you are a good agent that its not for everyone.

The very best salespeople are not salespeople, does that make sense.

Best of luck, its a road worth traveling. Rewards are far greater than money.

I'm a licensed land agent with my own company.

Before I went though all the training required to become a licensed agent, I used to think that real estate agents really don't know much and as an investor I knew alot more than them.

Now, I can say with absolute certainty that investors know more :D

If you even have some clue on what makes a good real estate investment and understand big words like "cash flow" and "gross rental yield" which is not even considered in the training, then you will do well!!!

Wish you luck J
X

A lot more about what :rolleyes:

Are you talking general law, investment yeilds, contract law, marketing....
The list is much longer but as I am unaware of your attention span I kept it short :D

ps its a joke as in funny... haha

How long does it take to become a fully licensed. professional real estate agent, assuming no prior experience/qualifications in the field and if you never finished high school or went to TAFE/University etc...???

I read in a post it is just 3 months???

I just can't believe that, is this true???

GSJ

How long does it take to become a fully licensed. professional real estate agent, assuming no prior experience/qualifications in the field and if you never finished high school or went to TAFE/University etc...???

I read in a post it is just 3 months???

I just can't believe that, is this true???

GSJ

In WA to hold a Real Estate Agent license (ie to open and run a real estate company) you need three things
1 - to be passed by the Board - interview, background check etc
2 - a current Tri-annial certificate which can be obtained at TAFE via a 6 month semi-fulltime study or 3 months full time
3 - two years actual real estate sales experience

In WA to become a sales person you need to pass a simple 3 week course and get a letter from a real estate company that says they will employ you once the course is complete.

In WA to become a sales person you need to pass a simple 3 week course and get a letter from a real estate company that says they will employ you once the course is complete.

Just 3 weeks and you can start selling property and earning commission - a 'real estate professional'?!

Then, keep working for 2 years, and in that time do 6 mths part-time study, and you are 'fully licensed and qualified'?!

No wonder the industry has such a bad reputation.

GSJ

Back