REA's, please lift your game, just a little will do

Jo

The point isnt the extra $1050. It is 'how hard is it to sell at that price in the current market'? Almost impossible, unless you drop your price 20%.

An agents first responsibility is to his commission. Even if he gives the impression it isnt.

Oh dear Evan,

Definately not so. Do you really think he would say no becasue he wanted an extra $1050.00? Do you think he would forego over $10,000 for the sake of $1000?

Why do people use agents to sell their home anyway..

its really easy to sell your house on your own..

plus I think most potential buyers would be happier to deal with the seller rather than a pushy agent..

An agents first responsibility is to his commission. Even if he gives the impression it isnt.

Just like the dress salesperson, the hairdresser, the deli owner etc. Every business is there to make a profit.

Do you do whatever you do for the love of the people?

plus I think most potential buyers would be happier to deal with the seller rather than a pushy agent..

I think the "sell it yourself" figures make you wrong on all counts :D.

Most people seem to want to avoid dealing with the owner direct. A good agent will be a good negotiator. I don't believe many people making one sale of their biggest asset are that good at negotiating.

I dont do much :D but i get your point. Of course not.

My reply was in response to Josko saying the agent was looking out for her interests. She would be naive to think there isnt self interest in his statement.

Do you do whatever you do for the love of the people?

I disagree there. People like to be able to speak freely while viewing a property. It is intimidating to look in corners and cracks when the owner is hot on your heals.

Selling your own home would be subject to market conditions.

Trying to sell my PPOR and IP's in this market on my own would be a waste of time and money.

Regards Jo

They do this all the time. Thats why most property doesnt sell quickly or sell at all.

They list at a too high price (for whatever reason but mostly from 'buying the listing') and then go into conditioning mode.

There is only one single thing that stops any property from selling. And that is its overpriced.

However, if I had told you all that this agent had listed my property 40k higher than what he thought market price was - you would still be berating him for wasting my time and giving me high hopes when all he wants to do is sell it for bottom dollar!

Regards JO

I think the "sell it yourself" figures make you wrong on all counts :D.

Most people seem to want to avoid dealing with the owner direct. A good agent will be a good negotiator. I don't believe many people making one sale of their biggest asset are that good at negotiating.

are realestate agents good negotiators?

When I sold my property, they asked me 'how much do you want' and came back saying "this is how much they offered"

There was no advise, or negotiations etc.. they were simply a messenger..

In the case of a auction.. its "this is what the market is offering you" and the pressure in both cases is on the seller to accept and the agent gets his commission..

There is no proof out there that agents get better prices for their clients... if anything your $15,000 behind due to their commissions.

They do this all the time. Thats why most property doesnt sell quickly or sell at all.

They list at a too high price (for whatever reason but mostly from 'buying the listing') and then go into conditioning mode.

There is only one single thing that stops any property from selling. And that is its overpriced.

I happily agree with you there Evan.:)

Regards JO

are realestate agents good negotiators?

Good ones are. I am biased because my mother was a great agent, highly respected and had much repeat business.

When I sold my property, they asked me 'how much do you want' and came back saying "this is how much they offered"

There was no advise, or negotiations etc.. they were simply a messenger..

I would not call that agent a "good agent".

In the case of a auction.. its "this is what the market is offering you" and the pressure in both cases is on the seller to accept and the agent gets his commission..

Vendor can always say "no".

There is no proof out there that agents get better prices for their clients... if anything your $15,000 behind due to their commissions.

My (retired) mother got an agent she knew was a great negotiator to sell her own house. For a retired estate agent to use another agent tells you something.

I know that when my mum was selling, one of the things she said that buyers hate is the owners staying in the house during inspections because the buyers feel intimidated and don't want to say what they dislike about the property. For me personally, I wouldn't like to negotiate direct with the owner because it can get too personal.

Happy if others do though, but the numbers of private sales seem to show that it just is not popular.

I don't like handing over commission either, but a good agent will get you over and above their commission.

You have to negotiate on just about everything else in life except the sale of property. Funny that.

Is it the amount that worries you? It shouldnt.

I disagree with your last statement. The commission just adds to the difficulty of selling a place. Just about every seller works on the numbers they will accept minus commission and costs.

For me personally, I wouldn't like to negotiate direct with the owner because it can get too personal.

Happy if others do though, but the numbers of private sales seem to show that it just is not popular.

I don't like handing over commission either, but a good agent will get you over and above their commission.

The amount doesn't worry me at all. But I am happy to let an agent I know and trust look after my interests.

One thing I believe is that when people see a private sale advertisement, they can think the seller is a bit naive and they might be able to "get a bargain". I also know that when selling privately most buyers want the amount of commission reduced from the price, or at least half the commission amount. They think they have a "bunny in the headlights", if you will.

I do believe a good agent will get you over and above their commission, but am happy to agree to disagree.

I know that when my mum was selling, one of the things she said that buyers hate is the owners staying in the house during inspections because the buyers feel intimidated and don't want to say what they dislike about the property. For me personally, I wouldn't like to negotiate direct with the owner because it can get too personal.

So how is your typical person supposed to know who is a good agent and negoiator and who isn't? You don't find this out until its to late.

A good agent can only get what the market is prepared to pay.. They can't force more money out of a market which doesn't want to pay.

The amount doesn't worry me at all. But I am happy to let an agent I know and trust look after my interests.

One thing I believe is that when people see a private sale advertisement, they can think the seller is a bit naive and they might be able to "get a bargain". I also know that when selling privately most buyers want the amount of commission reduced from the price, or at least half the commission amount. They think they have a "bunny in the headlights", if you will.

I do believe a good agent will get you over and above their commission, but am happy to agree to disagree.

Agents only look after their own interests.. They are in business to churn as many properties through their doors as possible..

Its a false sense of security thinking a agent will get you a better price. Agent motivation isn't to get a extra $20,000 for their client, their motivation is to sell as quickly as possible to then churn in the commissions.

You can quiet easily get a valuation done on your home to get a idea on what its worth, and advertise it for that price.. you have room to reduce your price during negoiations as your saving on agent fee's.. So yes if someone offers you $10k less because your saving on fees, thats a great result..

I also offer agents less when I make a offer, so essentially its the same either way..

Can anyone point me to a study which shows that agents get a better result for the seller?

You can quiet easily get a valuation done on your home to get a idea on what its worth, and advertise it for that price.. you have room to reduce your price during negoiations as your saving on agent fee's.. So yes if someone offers you $10k less because your saving on fees, thats a great result..

Oh please.... who do you think the valuer calls to get an idea of recent past sales in the area........ "sound of crickets chirping".

You believe in your reality, and I will believe in mine. I'll bet I have more "inside knowledge" than you.

And if you price your house too high with the idea you can reduce it, well by then it is stale and people are avoiding it. Same thing happens when agents price them too high, or vendors insist agents list it too high.

I have seen that happen more times than you have had hot dinners.

I emailed an agent a few weeks ago to ask what a house sold for in the same street as a property we have. I explained that I had emailed him previously when it was on the market (to which he replied) and that I now wondered what the house had actually sold for.

I had told him that if we got a great offer, we would consider selling this place.

Haven't heard back :confused:.

All I want is a sold price (which I can easily get anywhere) but I thought that in the climate right now, he might be interested in a possible listing.

If you haven't tried it, visit http://www.onthehouse.com.au for sold price info. In my experience, agents are not interested in people who are only interested in selling if they got a great offer. They are only interested in people who have made a decision to sell.

Thanks, and I love "on the house" and I also agree what you say about an agent thinking I am probably a tyre kicker, but in this slow market, any lead should be followed up, surely.

Anyway, his loss. If ever we list it he won't get a look in :p.

I think the "sell it yourself" figures make you wrong on all counts :D
Are these figures just the number of private sales? This doesn't tell you how successful they are :confused:
Can anyone point me to a study which shows that agents get a better result for the seller?
There is no case study because it's impossible to test.. The only real way of testing is to sell a group of houses both though an agent and privately - at the same time. Which is impossible...

Back