Recommendations for Flooring (Melbourne)

Hi guys..

I want to spruce up my current PPOR by getting rid of the carpet and putting down Timber or Concrete or Tile Flooring...

Any recommendations for a good Flooring company/ store in Melbourne?

Thank you kindly!

I haven't had any IP flooring done in Melbourne.

However Carpert Call seem to have a good selection of Floating Timber floors, laminate flooring and online buying guide.

Personally I like the laminate flooring They are pretty hard wearing for an IP, clean up a place nicely and not too expensive.

Other places include: Beaumont tiles, National Tiles, Bunnings, Carpet Court etc

Just ring around and chase a few quotes.

Cheers :)

Jump on Ebay and narrow down your search to Australia Only, and look for Vic sellers who sell timber flooring.

More often than not, the pricing is very cheap and you can compare prices and styles in the comfort of your own home before heading out and narrowing down in person :)

Please for the love of god, dont use carpet call etc.

What are you looking for?

pre-finished or solid timber? I presume you don't want floating, as it's nasty, plain and simple.

One is finished when it is put down, but often looks a little engineered and usually only available up to satin finishes.

The other is obviously a free for all.

But how do you lay solid timber onto concrete floors MRCCON?

Quite easily.

There's two options.

Direct stick: Waterproof the floor completely with mapegum etc, and trowel the glue directly onto it, you pull the boards tight and depending on the area's, wedge them tight against walls, or the other option is puting a few nails in every 5th board etc, you'll need clamps. I don't recommend this without alot of experience laying floors.

The other option is 12mm ply glued and screwed/shot to the conrete floor.

You then secret nail like normal, but use shorter staples.

You use double thick underlay in carpeted areas to bring it up flush to the increased size of the flooring. Obviously make sure it all works to existing door sills etc when considering this option.

Recommend install Bamboo flooring with click-locking installation

Hi guys..

I want to spruce up my current PPOR by getting rid of the carpet and putting down Timber or Concrete or Tile Flooring...

Any recommendations for a good Flooring company/ store in Melbourne?

Thank you kindly!

You could consider installing bamboo flooring which is long lasting, hard wearing, extremely easy to replace and environmentally friendly. Also friendly on the pocket for the quality you get.

I got my bamboo floor installed by The Timber Floor Centre at 6/200 Plenty Road, Preston, Vic 3072 Oct 2011. We chose the Natural colour, strand woven bamboo by GreenEarth. We liked the fact that it was 1.83m long and 14mm thick with a Janka rating of 15.
Janka rating measures the 'hardness' of the wood. For instance the Janka rating for jarrah hardwood is 8.5.

We didn't know about bamboo until my floor polisher put us onto it. The original part of my PPOR had 1950s hardwood long timber floors but the sunroom and bedroom extension had corkboard flooring so we installed bamboo in the sunroom & bedroom extension as well as the kitchen.

The Timber Floor Centre at Preston is kind of like a factory clearance outlet. The showroom is not fancy, it's like a warehouse showroom with a variety of solid timber, laminates, floating timber floors as well as bamboo. The solid timber floor strips were much less than 130mm wide so didn't suit the rest of the house's original hardwood floors. Didn't like the floating timber floors because it was only 3mm of hardwood face, so bamboo was the best compromise for us. We paid roughly $50 per sq metre for the bamboo and $20 per sq metre Click-locking system installation, if I can recall correctly (have to dig out my receipt). It includes the installation of beading on the skirting. I just checked their website, I think there's a sale now for $45 per sq metre for the strand woven Eucalyptus or 'Natural' colour.

Their website is http://www.timberfloorcentre.com.au
Hope this helps.

As for the installation of bamboo in the kitchen, am quite happy with it. When there's spills of large amounts of water on it, it doesn't soak through at all, I just quickly wipe it up with paper towels or a soft floor rag. I think the trick is not to leave pools of water lying on the floor for too long and I think that probably goes for any wooden floors, not just bamboo. :D

In my opinion, the best option would be bamboo flooring as its more durable and lasts really long!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back