Redcliffe Peninsula

Hi,
We are in the market for our first IP and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Margate/Clontarf/Kippa-Ring are for sub 450k house? Mainly in it for potential capital gain; looking at property close to the water. Rental yield doesn't appear to be fantastic (lucky to be 5% gross), but wondering if it might change with general growth and moreton bay rail.
Thanks

Quite a few people are watching the Redcliffe Peninsula for the reasons you've mentioned. The Moreton Bay Rail Link is scheduled to open in 2016.

Other things I'm aware of going on include various new commercial, industrial and retail developments around North Lakes centre, and also the Gateway Motorway North capacity upgrade, which feeds traffic into the Redcliffe Peninsula and provides the most direct link to Brisbane Airport.

Hi,
We are in the market for our first IP and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Margate/Clontarf/Kippa-Ring are for sub 450k house? Mainly in it for potential capital gain; looking at property close to the water. Rental yield doesn't appear to be fantastic (lucky to be 5% gross), but wondering if it might change with general growth and moreton bay rail.
Thanks

IMHO go with scarborough and margate being closer to the water rather than kippa-ring. scarborough to the locals is the premium suburb in the peninsula. kippa-ring is the suburb where the train station will be located.

East of Oxley was the old catch cry. Buy East of Oxley ave if the price is right. It's easy to forget how big Rescliffe is and that means there's usually something for everyone depending on your price point. There's some great yields on blocks of flats (3 or 4 packs) when I was looking a month or two back, 7 to 8%. Also you can get together a few blocks of land to Da when you've get the equity down the track.

Thanks for your input guys, it gives me confident that we're on the right track. I think you're right about focusing on those suburbs closer to the water, had a look today and it's just a much better feel.

I grew up in Redcliffe. Closer to the water is better, so yes, East of Oxley is good, but there is other waterfront, and even canals.

Traing station will be interesting. Was previosuly thinking of buying a couple of blocks next door to the parent's house (not far from where the station will be) and doing a unit or townhouse build.

I think buying closer to a train station rather than water will be better for rentability. I'm not convinced being closer to the water (unless you can actually get water views) has much advantage.

The fact you are already living in a seaside suburb, does getting to the beach a couple of minutes quicker on the weekend make much difference? On the other hand, if you work in the CBD, those few minutes you save getting to public transport are important.

Thanks. We've been doing some searching and are finding.good.properties are moving.pretty quickly. Have started considering the option of sunshine coast also for hospital/education/airport factors. I will start a new thread but any thoughts?

I think buying closer to a train station rather than water will be better for rentability. I'm not convinced being closer to the water (unless you can actually get water views) has much advantage.

The fact you are already living in a seaside suburb, does getting to the beach a couple of minutes quicker on the weekend make much difference? On the other hand, if you work in the CBD, those few minutes you save getting to public transport are important.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong

Just look at the prices of houses in any bayside suburb in AUS

Facts are that people who live in these areas are happy to travel a bit extra after work to live where they want to be

Works is a just a part of their lives, not a controlling influence

I agree with Strongy.

Good for renting near the train, but better CG for beachside.

It's great sitting down at Redcliffe on a Sunday morning - markets all around, blue sky and ocean.

If you can walk to that, it will do well down the track IMO.

Not only are there walkways along most of coast line there are also coffee shops and restaurants that could be with-in walking distance depend where you purchase. I also personally think the coastal area has a better feel about it for some reason. :)

Not only are there walkways along most of coast line there are also coffee shops and restaurants that could be with-in walking distance depend where you purchase. I also personally think the coastal area has a better feel about it for some reason. :)

Run along the beach track, fishing, sailing, walking to the beach is so much better than driving (no hot cars, sand on the seats) - have a few froffees!
If I had to drive 5 mins to a train station each morning it wouldn't bother me

I came across few interesting things about redcliffe when I was researching.

Is flood a big issue for this area? I read after Council updated the flood maps for the area and listed them in category high,mid and low the prices of high risk went down and also flood insurance for them doubled.

I'm not convinced that trains from Kippa Ring will be that fast. Look at the line on the map and it's fairly indirect.

Petrie to Roma St is around 40 min even on an express train. Kippa Ring into town would be the best part of an hour. Add further driving or bus time if you're not at the station.

City commuters in Sydney and Melbourne tolerate that but do many Brisbanites?

Especially given that a nice suburb say 10 - 15km out is more affordable in Brisbane than in the larger capitals.

Suppose you work 5 days / week and go to the beach 1 day a week. Would not not be better to save time on your commute even if beach trips take a bit longer?

I can't help thinking that three of four really good express bus routes (in own lanes) from all parts of the peninsula to trains at Sandgate might provide a faster connection than the proposed railway.

I'm not convinced that trains from Kippa Ring will be that fast. Look at the line on the map and it's fairly indirect.

Petrie to Roma St is around 40 min even on an express train. Kippa Ring into town would be the best part of an hour. Add further driving or bus time if you're not at the station.

City commuters in Sydney and Melbourne tolerate that but do many Brisbanites?

Especially given that a nice suburb say 10 - 15km out is more affordable in Brisbane than in the larger capitals.

Suppose you work 5 days / week and go to the beach 1 day a week. Would not not be better to save time on your commute even if beach trips take a bit longer?

I can't help thinking that three of four really good express bus routes (in own lanes) from all parts of the peninsula to trains at Sandgate might provide a faster connection than the proposed railway.

Even the trains from Sandgate/Shorncliffe are quite slow (stopping all stations), taking 35-40 minutes to the city. Wouldn't really be any quicker than the new train line. The capacity issues south of Northgate and Eagle Junction are what slows down the services on the northside.

Hi All
Long time lurker but first post ....
I'm dredging up an older post here but I'm also very interested in everyone's thoughts on the Redcliffe Peninsula.

I'm thinking of making an offer on a unit in Scarborough one street back from the water. Gross yield is 6.5% but BC is high at $4k plus rates etc etc
Does this sound competitive compared to your research?

We own a townhouse at Scarborough, one street back from the waterfront and our BC is $1200 a year. Does the one you are looking at have gold-plated taps? A gold plated elevator? Pool?

Back