Removing a troublesome neighbour from a strata complex

Reading Dave's thread made me think of my troublesome neighbour. We have an issue with a tenant in the adjoining townhouse of one of my IPs. They yell racist remarks at my tenant, turn their tv up so loud my tenant can't hear her tv and basically just make life miserable for her and the others in the complex. The neighbour even had a noise breach letter sent to my tenant from the strata. This neighbour has been there since before I bought my place in 03 and she tells everyone she is an owner.

Does a strata have the right to remove a tenant from a neighbouring property? Looks like I'll be moving back in there with the kids in a few months and it would be great to be rid of her. She used to yell and scream at me when I lived there on my own many years ago and always comes out to throw some sort of abuse at me when I go to inspect the property so I can only imagine the trouble she will start when the kids and I move in.

We have had some situations where tenants are an issue. In each case the body corporate actually wrote to the agents who managed the property and highlighted the issues. The tenants leases were not renewed.
With respect to the behaviour of the tenant in the property. If there is abuse, you may need to review the Peace and Good behaviour legislation that is relevant to the property. I am aware of at least one situation where the dispute between neighbours ended up in the courts. Significant costs were recovered from the offending neighbour. I believe that neighbour ending up selling the property in order to pay those costs.

I think the troublesome neighbour may be jealous coz she ain't got no IP. Better get her to sign up to SS so she can get an IP and Settle Kettle.

Reading Dave's thread made me think of my troublesome neighbour. We have an issue with a tenant in the adjoining townhouse of one of my IPs. They yell racist remarks at my tenant, turn their tv up so loud my tenant can't hear her tv and basically just make life miserable for her and the others in the complex. The neighbour even had a noise breach letter sent to my tenant from the strata. This neighbour has been there since before I bought my place in 03 and she tells everyone she is an owner.

Does a strata have the right to remove a tenant from a neighbouring property? Looks like I'll be moving back in there with the kids in a few months and it would be great to be rid of her. She used to yell and scream at me when I lived there on my own many years ago and always comes out to throw some sort of abuse at me when I go to inspect the property so I can only imagine the trouble she will start when the kids and I move in.

If she is an owner then she is probably harder to get rid of. I do know that my friends have a court order out on their neighbour and he is no longer allowed to even look sideways at their property. After years of him abusing and spying on them and filling up a file at Council with his complaints about their building project they had enough and took him to court basically for an AVO

She's a tenant, not an owner. Managed to get every other resident of the complex off side at some stage.

Thanks for your comments Raddles. Regardless of whether I move back in I am concerned about my current tenant being abused by her. I have a feeling the next door neighbour requested the noise complaint letter to try to get in first.

Back