Removing ceramic tiles

Anyone give me an approximate cost per sq. metre of getting this done by the professionals? The tiled area is indoors, on top of floorboards and is about 30 yrs old. No idea if there is masonite underneath or not. The tiles spoil the whole house and really need to go.
The only other solution I can think of is carpeting over the top of them, but how high would the floor level have to be elevated to do this?

Hi Jacque,

When I had my bathroom done about 12 months ago, the tiler said he could have his labourer remove the tiles for $20/sqm.

I ended up hiring a kanga hammer for half a day and did it myself in a couple of hours for around $40.

Glenn

Hi Jacque,

I'd remove them myself (I removed tiles from a few long halls, kitchen/dining & 2 bathrooms in under a day with a couple of mates using hammers, chissels & a crow bars) if I were you, but if you didn't have time, just hire a labourer for the day (I wouldn't pay per square meter), they would only charge around $20ish per hour (as its not skilled labour you need for such a task)... depending on how large the area, you may need a mini-skip OR a trailer on standby...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Hi Jacque

When I need "muscle" jobs done like removing tiles, I fax an ad through to the nearest backpackers for them to post on the notice board.

Someone always wants work.

Cheers
ani

Back