Removing glued down crapet underlay

I just had a look under the carpet in my place and the underlay has been glued to the cement slab. Any ideas on how I can remove this?

Last edited:
having had to remove this hideous product a couple of times in reno's - all i can say is "good luck".

a sharp spade is about the best product i've come up with. pouring all sorts of glue soakers and white spirits made no difference ...

i hope someone else has a better suggestions

Kamak

If the carpet lifts off but leaves a black rubberlike underlay stuck to the cement, then you need to scrape it off.

If is a painful (tedious and messy) job and best left to the carpet installers who have special tools and the knack to do it quickly.

You can buy a scraper (a bit like a long handled shovel with a flat blade about 300mm wide from Bunnings.) This gets the bulk off. You can also use a long handled scraper (like a razor blade refill) from same supplier.

I spent a half a day trying to do this on a reno a couple of years ago, but then found out the installer would prepare all floors and remove old carpets for an extra $100-$150. This was on a 3x2 with dining and lounge.

Best money ever spent!

Toluene gets almost anything off, including you.

Dangerous stuff if not taking the correct precautions (like letting somone else use it)

Dave

We removed carpet underlay and glue from a timber floor by scraping and then sanding with the floor sander and a makita orbital sander. Had we realised the floor sander was so effective in removing the underlay we would not have bothered with so much scraping at first. I would probably give it a go on concrete with a really heavy duty sander and a very rough grit disk/paper.

having had to remove this hideous product a couple of times in reno's - all i can say is "good luck".

a sharp spade is about the best product i've come up with. pouring all sorts of glue soakers and white spirits made no difference ...

i hope someone else has a better suggestions

yep this is the way to go. unfortunatley.
cheers
yadreamin

We removed carpet underlay and glue from a timber floor by scraping and then sanding with the floor sander and a makita orbital sander. Had we realised the floor sander was so effective in removing the underlay we would not have bothered with so much scraping at first. I would probably give it a go on concrete with a really heavy duty sander and a very rough grit disk/paper.

unless it's a rubber based underlay - we tried the same thing and all that happened is that the rubber melted and clogged up the sandpaper even quicker.

i like the petrol option - pour on petrol, light match, run very fast ... that should get rid of any underlay problem.

I just had a look under the carpet in my place and the underlay has been glued to the cement slab. Any ideas on how I can remove this?
I had the same problem a few years back.

I hired equipment from Kennards which stripped the glued carpet underlay, as well as lifting cork tyiles.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44319&postcount=19

Not forgetting a picture of the equipment. Me with a professional stripper (in the same thread).

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49172&postcount=41

Forget solvents and hard work with the back of a spade. That machine did a fantastic job.

But compare costs with what a professional would do.

Cool Geoff I'll call Kennards in the morning. Will be getting a quote from a guy in the morning. Im a bit tight so if I can do it myself I will. :) $113 for the day. Wonder if it will take care of the remnants of tiles after they have been jack hammered up.

Back