removing window contact???

Hey all,

Well our bathroom windows have this scrappy old type of contact over the glass so you cant see in. Its like the contact stuff kids put on their school books. The old methods such as metho, eucolyptus oil etc has not worked. Any ideas as to how I remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Jayro!

To remove the yucky stuff use windex and a razor blade, option 1 option 2, go to the hardware shop and buy a fairly new product called yuk off, "i think it's called " good luck!

I don't know windex's ammonium hydroxide concentration off the top of my head, but that's the active constituent, and the highest you can get is 10% for household use.

When applying ammonium hydroxide to the interface of the film and window, it is important to keep it wet, otherwise the adhesive just hardens up again.

If you can remove the window and lay it flat, you can stop the ammonia from drying out by first using a stanley knife to cut lines 20cm apart across the window, spraying with ammonia, then placing a large garbage bag or other sheet of plastic over the top, and leaving to soak in for 10 minutes.

Then use the knife to lift a corner and it will peel off without breaking as easily.

If you can't remove the windows, you could cut the line horizontally across the window and tape a plastic sheet over the top and leave for 10 mins.

You could use gladwrap instead of taping plastic, but try a hair dryer and razor blade scraper, this takes stickers off just about anything.

Back