Replacing a heater in IP, wall heater or ducted?

The PM supplied a quote to replace a old wall heater for $760 (IXL 3600kw). This is just for the lounge room area. There isn't really any suitable heating in the rest of the house, so I thought maybe a ducted gas heating may be the solution and waive any suggestions in the future that the tenants would find any other parts of the house being too cold.
The IP is in Canberra,
What kind of prices am I looking at to heat a 4/5 bedder with 2 living areas and dinning?
Or should I just stick to replacing the old heater being a IP?
Suggestions anyone?

Ducted sounds expensive and invasive, more of a between-tenants sort of job. Can't help you with costs though, I'm thinking heating for my IP too just so the tenants don't try and burn the place down by using the open fires with the chimneys capped off. I'll be closing off all the fireplaces and installing a cold-rated window mounted reverse cycle aircon. I can safely say not to get a combustion wood heater, they cost upwards of $2500 and probably aren't legal where you are, even though they are fantastically warm.

Considered a regular reverse cycle split system if you don't have aircon there, or replacing any wall/window-mounted aircons with a reverse cycle one? It does get quite warm in Canberra in summer. We have basically the same weather as Canberra here but without the rain so I feel your pain ...

A air conditioning company gave me a rough estimate for a 4 bedder house. Ducted heating itself will cost from $5500 and to add cooling later on will cost $6000-$7000. To do a reverse cycle ducted is about $10k.
Then I enquired about split systems. For a 20sqm lounge room, I was quoted $3k - $3.5k for a daikin or fujitsu.
So, I have decided to just replace the old electric heater for a couple of hundred dollars and install full reverse cycle ducted air conditioning in years to come. Hopefully, the old refrigerated air cons in the house have a few more years of life in it.
Thanks all for taking an interest!

Back