Reporting a welfare cheat / fraudster

I wonder if there has ever been anyone with mental issues ever be able to go to work but not be able to play/participate in sport/hobbies?

I'm pretty sure you don't need their birthdate, just enough information to identify them.

Yes, I would absolutely dob them in. In fact I've dobbed a few in, but not for a while now. If they are doing nothing wrong, then they will not be penalized by an investigation. On the other hand, if they are claiming something they shouldn't, they should get the book thrown at them.
I dobbed in one of my cousins.

A bludger and a cheat, and we were funding her lifestyle.

She copped her right whack; and I loved it.

I wonder if there has ever been anyone with mental issues ever be able to go to work but not be able to play/participate in sport/hobbies?
That's me; can work no probs, but everytime I stand over a 3 foot putt I suffer a stress/anxiety attack...

Given that golf was my profession, can I retrospectively sue for workcare claims for stress, as it affected my ability to make my living? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Not sure what your issue is.

I know at least 100 welfare cheats - from people who work in cash jobs making $1k+ a week and claiming centrelink, to people who own a portfolio of 10+ properties living in commission housing.

These days, I just accept that as the Australian way. While I don't condone it nor will ever do something like that, if you choose to live here, you need to put up with it.

Well I suppose you could have someone sick enough to be on Clozapine who is able to work in a supported role but finds playing worthwhile team sport difficult because the normal people in the team don't socially accept their "strange" behaviour.
They might be untrusting of anyone who has Schizophrenia after seeing how they are portrayed in dramatical productions and hearing the odd case in the media of someone becoming violent when having a florid episode.
So it might be more a case of social stigma that they have to contend with.

Not sure what your issue is.

I know at least 100 welfare cheats - from people who work in cash jobs making $1k+ a week and claiming centrelink, to people who own a portfolio of 10+ properties living in commission housing.

These days, I just accept that as the Australian way. While I don't condone it nor will ever do something like that, if you choose to live here, you need to put up with it.

So how does your moral compass dictate when to take stance and when to just "put up with it"?
I take it welfare cheats and tax evasion is fine by you... as this is the "Australian way". Maybe you need to find new acquaintances? I don't think this is Australian at all :mad:

Which of the following would you take a stance on...or are some of these the Australian way as well?

1. Possession of unlicensed fire arms
2. Illegal drug use / possession
3. Under age drinking
4. Drink driving
5. Spousal abuse
6. Child abuse
7. Physical assault
8. Money laundering
9. Embezzlement
10. Bribery
11. Drug dealing
12. Sexual assault
13. Slavery

Keen to hear why you would think welfare fraud (theft) and tax avoidance may or may not differ to some of the other crimes on the list above?

So how does your moral compass dictate when to take stance and when to just "put up with it"?
I take it welfare cheats and tax evasion is fine by you... as this is the "Australian way". Maybe you need to find new acquaintances? I don't think this is Australian at all :mad:

Which of the following would you take a stance on...or are some of these the Australian way as well?

3. Under age drinking
4. Drink driving
5. Spousal abuse
6. Child abuse
7. Physical assault
8. Money laundering
9. Embezzlement
10. Bribery
11. Drug dealing
12. Sexual assault
13. Slavery

Keen to hear why you would think welfare fraud (theft) and tax avoidance may or may not differ to some of the other crimes on the list above?

I've done 1,2,3,4 and 7 (in retaliation to someone that attacked first).
I've also done 10 especially with my children, (Do as you're asked and you'll get an ice-cream type bribery).
Lock me up.

I've also done 10 especially with my children, (Do as you're asked and you'll get an ice-cream type bribery).
Lock me up.

Sure...I've done some of them as well, most people would have at some times in their lives. But what on the list would you turn a blind eye to and not report / take action against as Deltaberry has admitted to. He claims to know 100 or so serial fraudsters. If I knew someone who was a continual drink driver, continual wife beater, continual child abuser, continual drug dealer..... you get the idea...
Add on the end continual welfare cheat, continual tax avoider...why the difference?

Sure...I've done some of them as well, most people would have at some times in their lives. But what on the list would you turn a blind eye to and not report / take action against as Deltaberry has admitted to. He claims to know 100 or so serial fraudsters. If I knew someone who was a continual drink driver, continual wife beater, continual child abuser, continual drug dealer..... you get the idea...
Add on the end continual welfare cheat, continual tax avoider...why the difference?

I was with you on this post until you slipped in the word "continual" in all those crimes. What about someone who just beats his wife once or just abuses his child once?

Every welfare cheat who is caught means more money in the pocket of those who are paying taxes to support these people. If all the rorters stopped putting their snouts in the welfare trough, there would be more money for those who "really" need and deserve taxpayer and government funded help.

I'm all for supporting those who need it, but not the cheats.

Lock me up.

I would love to have locked you up for No. 4. That is just plain stupid. The ignorant bliss of people who have never had to attend accidents due to drink driving or deal with the aftermath of one never ceases to amaze and disgust me.

I was with you on this post until you slipped in the word "continual" in all those crimes. What about someone who just beats his wife once or just abuses his child once?

Your right of course, the list I provided had differing levels of crime. The serious crimes should have zero tolerance in regard to acceptance. My point was that I don't believe anyone would reasonably accept ANY of these crimes to be continually perpetrated, yet some people open detail turning a blind eye to serial fraud or theft and see it as being acceptable and being "Australian" :confused:

I know someone who has been on a disability support payment for about the last 10 years. Not because she has a disability, but because her teenage son has autism.

She is convinced that she cant work, even a few hours 1 day a week. The son is at school all day, but she feels she needs to be available should her son's school call to pick him up.

The same kid has just obtained his driver's licence. While I love that he got his driver's licence, you cant have it both ways. Either he is so disabled that mum cant work and he cant drive, or he can drive and mum can work.

Welfare. Australian way.

Good social equaliser. But at the same time, I'm not a hypocrite. So when these people tell me about cutting CGT discount and negative gearing, I'm happy to cut them if they pay all the welfare back.

Uhmmm, sorry but I disagree Delta.

CGT discount and Neg gearing are legal.
Rorting welfare is not legal.

Are you rorting CGT and Neg gearing?

If this person has a workcover history of injury as long as your arm, it could be no employer is willing to take them on 'official books'. This person might have given up applying for permanent jobs because no employer would touch them with a barge pole should he get re-injured again and raise their workcover premiums.

So this person might have worked out that employers were happy to pay him 'cash-in-hand', just not officially. Also he might have given up applying for permanent work because knockbacks were too many and damaging to self-esteem. Just saying....

When you applied for jobs, it used to be mandatory reporting to report if you had a workcover claim in previous employment and give details, not sure if it is still the practice now. Any workcover claims including for stress, depression, anxiety as well as for physical injury.

There is nothing unlawful about an employer asking the prospective employee to provide details of any workers comp claims, you just can't discriminate based on the answers AFAIK. After all, you have workplace safety obligations and need to ensure they can do the job without endangering themselves or others.

I believe work-related stress is non compensable, unless it requires ongoing clinical intervention

3. Under age drinking
4. Drink driving
5. Spousal abuse
6. Child abuse
7. Physical assault
8. Money laundering
9. Embezzlement
10. Bribery
11. Drug dealing
12. Sexual assault
13. Slavery

Would make an interesting poll, after all, many of us originate from convicts

Back