Restumping/Relevelling

just wondering if they are two totally separate tasks or not,

have been told by an agent, that a few stumps have been previously replaced, but more need to be replaced, and also the building needs to be relevelled.

Two separate things. You can relevel without restumping but a stumper will relevel as well, depending on what needs doing.

I see,

is relevelling a major task? and assuming the job was say $25k, what proportion would the relevelling component be?

ive got a rough estimate for replacing x number of stumps, but just wanted to know if relevelling was a little bit extra or another huge job in itself

thanks

Don't know the costs BUT if you relevel AND the house has been "worked on" before (i.e. cracks filled, doors/window frames done), then levelling it can damage all the stuff that was done while the house was unlevel.

The Y-man

Agree with y the man. How far out are the levels? May be worth just leaving it. relevelling is not a hard job and can be done diy. You'll need a jack, some clear hose or a laser level, some fibre cement packers and a willing mate. If it's out by more than about 50mm probably need to re stump

Is the house on timber or concrete stumps? Whereabouts is the house located?

Cost of packing (levelling) the house can only be done if it's <=50mm out and costs around $1500 or so. Depends on the size of the house and number of stumps. If they're out by >50mm it can't be packed and you'll have to dig out the stump and replace it. I'd suggest steel posts with adjustable heads.

The first thing to do is to get a soil test done. Should range from 350-500 for 2 boreholes, testing and a report. At least you can get a classification of the site's soil reactivity, and borehold log so you can get an idea of how deep you need to go if you restump. If you don't go deep enough you might not acheive enough bearing capacity for your new stump and the problem will still be there.

Once you get the soil test done, try and get a line/water gauge out there and get any idea of how far out each stump is. Packing the house will level it and re-distribute the loads across all the stumps, causing it to start moving again. Getting someone out there to measure the levels will cost you $$.

I got quoted about 450-600 per stump, to remove the old stump and install galvanised steel posts with adjustable heads. Obviously depends on quite a few things like material (type of galvanising - hot dipped?, height of post, if concrete doming or larger footing is required etc).

Sure, if you can pack it, you could try and do it yourself, but restumping is hard work and not something I'd want to DIY. At least if it's an IP it's deductible. I'm getting a soil test done next week myself ;)

I'm getting a soil test done next week myself ;)

Eek, did you get your test done back in Apr? If so please could you let me know who you used, and how good you found them to be: I'd appreciate the advice. I'm also in Brisbane and I need to do similar soil testing and possible restumping. If you prefer please PM me.

Many thanks

We just had our house releveled - price quoted was between $980 - $1500. The inside was done so cracks did appear and not included in the above. We still need to relevel the bathroom but with cracking tiles thought we would wait until ready for bathroom Reno.

Note very small house only 2 bedrooms

Back