restumping

Hi All
have a property in Melb which needs restumping. Any idea on costs and any recommendations.

thanks, MTR

I always worked on $5k - $10k.

Just checked the Acrhicentre reno cost guide and it says $5 - $7.5k but that is 2005 prices.

I guess budget on $10k?

Nick

I had a property which was restumped in early 2010 and cost $6k+ GST for a Edwardian weatherboard. I can't recall how many stumps were replaced (over 30 i think) but the floor space area under which we replaced the stumps was around 110sqm. Some of them had to be done by lifting the floorboards whilst on one side of the property, concrete had to be cut to allow access to replace timber stumps with concrete ones.

It was good job and he was pretty thorough. Will PM you his details.

Just had my place restumped but as the house is on a slope going north to south and the house faces east it was a funny/more involved job. Had to use steel stumps for the southern end as the area is more than 6ft high.
Ended up going with the mob some friends used as they did a good job and their quote was the middle of the three but the cheapest wanted to use all concrete stumps.
They did a great job and confirmed for me that I would never be a reblocker in a million years. Those guys work hard for their money.
Am happy to pm you the details if you want.

just bringing up an old thread

so im looking at a property that apparently needs restumping,

agent is saying that its perfectly tenantable/tenanted and that you could rent it ou for another 5-6 years in its current state,

assuming you are going to tear it down within 5-6 years,

would it be wise to ignore this fact? as we all know that real estate agents can bendthe truth ever so slightly in their favour (surprise surprise)

If you are going to pull the place down in a few years and rent it in the meantime - Just jack up the bearers in the low spots and place packing between the stumps and the bearers. You might have to fill any cracks in the plaster and repaint. How bad is this place?

Attachments

• concrete cancer (1).jpg
    concrete cancer (1).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 114
Back