RIP Gough Whitlam

You don't hear that $40bn figure mentioned because it is absolute nonsense.

Seems pretty cut and dried. Nice reference (especially the Budget one).

I'm still comfortable with ranking Keating pretty well as a Treasurer (with Costello a bit above him).

With regard to asset sales, it is true that much of the success in repaying the debt was due to that. This should never be a criticism though (not suggesting you are), it is merely the continuation of the aggressive privatization strategy commenced and planned to be continued, by Hawke/Keating. Another strong legacy of their time in office.

Sure. My comment was because it is one of those common misconceptions - that Costello and Howard managed the revenue > expenditure equation and saved their way out of debt.

Like when people point to the GST as a money grab on the part of the federal government (another popular misconception).

But yeah, if Keating had been there he would have wanted to keep going on the asset sales for sure.

Victorian Planning Minister Matthew Guy has stopped the destruction of Gough Whitlam's birthplace in the Melbourne suburb of Kew, despite on Wednesday claiming he could not intervene because a demolition order had already been granted by the local council.

Mr Guy on Thursday said he had applied for an interim protection order on the former prime minister's family home in Kew.

"Yesterday I applied for an Interim Protection Order, under the Heritage Act, for the birthplace of Gough Whitlam," Mr Guy said. "I am advised that the Heritage Council has today made an Interim Protection Order."

Mr Guy said Mr Whitlam was "widely acknowledged to be one of the most significant Australian political leaders of the 20th century".

"As his birthplace, it is likely that the cultural significance of this house will become recognised more strongly as time passes," he said.

Demolition of Ngara, the house in which Whitlam was born, commenced on Tuesday, the day after the former prime minister passed away aged 98.

Ngara house was built in 1915 by Whitlam's grandfather, master builder Edward Maddocks, and named Ngara after an indigenous word of the Darug people of Sydney that means "to listen, hear and think".

Mr Whitlam, according to legend, was born on the kitchen table. In adult life he would listen to and hear the voices of indigenous Australians, and his thinking would help give rise to the land rights movement.

At least seven properties across Victoria enjoy heritage protection because of a link with a prime minister.

The birthplace of John Curtin in regional Creswick is protected. Even the Grampians holiday house of Malcolm Fraser, the man who would end Whitlam's days as prime minister, enjoys a heritage overlay.

Mr Madden said Mr Guy had the powers to stop the demolition of Ngara.

"Planning ministers have pretty extraordinary powers under the Act," said Mr Madden.

"Given there is a precedent to provide heritage protection to homes associated with prime ministers, that this building is certainly under threat, and the minister has the power, I would say there is a case to hit the pause button on demolition to buy some time. The easiest way to hit the pause button is to grant an interim heritage overlay. Mr Guy has the power to do that."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...dhood-home-20141023-11acma.html#ixzz3H19rZgSg

My grandparents and aunt had a home in western Sydney. We visited them every Christmas holidays and they had a thunderbox all the years I was growing up.
The visit after I turned 18 I had the luxury of a using an indoor flushing loo at their house in Sydney (we had indoor flushing loos here all the years I was growing up). That would have been 1981.
I think that must have been one of the last homes sewered in western Sydney.

Even if after consideration the development is allowed to proceed, who picks up the bill for the delay? The contractor is not at fault and shouldn't be out of pocket, and the owner/developer seems to have done everything right. He must be ruing the fact that GW didn't live a day or two more.

Gough Whitlam's memorial is standing room only

Huge public outpouring of affection: Former prime minister Gough Whitlam. Photo: Steven Siewert

Gough Whitlam's memorial is standing room only

There has been a rush on seats for Gough Whitlam's state memorial service, with nearly twice as many people applying as there were available spaces.

Late on Sunday afternoon the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, which is handling applications, had received nearly 3966requests. The Sydney Town Hall can accommodate only 2000 people.

Many will miss being inside the building for Australia's largest memorial service in living memory.

The choice of the Sydney Town Hall has bemused some who had wondered about a bigger venue. But the Whitlam family has been involved in planning every detail of the memorial for years and the Sydney Town Hall, as "the people's place", was deemed the most suitable venue.

The Whitlam children - Tony, Nick, Stephenand Catherine - have organised the service, which will take place on November 5 at 11am.

Senator John Faulkner, who had continued to visit Mr Whitlam every week until his death, and former Whitlam speechwriter GrahamFreudenberg, are among those who will deliver tributes.

Mr Whitlam's funeral is a private family affair.

The memorial is shaping as the largest public display of affection for a political leader since the funeral of Robert Menzies in May 1978.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gough-whi...-room-only-20141026-11c2qz.html#ixzz3HsfeaZ48

Gough with best bud Malcolm Fraser

seven surviving Australian prime ministers, past and present
at the completion of the Gough Whitlam memorial in Sydney

I was there yesterday. The Town Hall is 100 meters from my office, so I couldn't not wander around. I mingled with the crowd and watched a bit on the big screen and then went back to the office to watch a bit online, and back to the Town Hall again.
It wasn't a sombre occasion and the crowd were loving it. It was interesting to see lots of youngsters (20 somethings) in the crowd. Their parents probably told them to go.
Boy, there were some great speeches. Graham Freudenberg mentioned that classic Paul Keating quote, 'There was an Australia before Whitlam, and then a different Australia after Whitlam.' I reckon Australia grew up in those three years with Gough at the helm. He pushed through a mountain of reform. Most of it would have happened eventually, but it happened in a rush. And of course he took his eye off some pretty important balls. Noel Pearson acknowledged the when he said it was a, 'triumph of reform over management.'
I haven't read anybody who has said that the Whitlam years were without fault. Commentators on both sides have acknowledged the failures and the successes. But none of those other seven Prime Ministers in that photo taken yesterday will have a funeral likes Gough's.
Scott

seven surviving Australian prime ministers, past and present at the completion of the Gough Whitlam memorial in Sydney

I think it is a shame that our system of government means that ex PM's still like to throw dirt at each other (some don't but a lot do) long after they've stopped being political foes.

At least in the US they seem to have a bit more respect for each other (with the exception of the Peanut farmer from Georgia).

And one more thing, does Bob Hawke go the same tanning salon as Bec Hewitt?

826100-5e5bf436-6485-11e4-a310-49154a12f97b.jpg

Most of it would have happened eventually, but it happened in a rush. And of course he took his eye off some pretty important balls. Noel Pearson acknowledged the when he said it was a, 'triumph of reform over management.'
Scott

But isn't that the Australian way? We have a go, even if it isn't 100% correct :)

It wasn't a sombre occasion and the crowd were loving it. It was interesting to see lots of youngsters (20 somethings) in the crowd. Their parents probably told them to go.

I reckon a fair few of them went there all on their own. In an age where we've got one government speaking about "deregulating" the tertiary education system, which by most measures seems to indicate students will pay a lot more for a lot longer, I think a government that helped a massive amount with free tertiary education would be looked on with favour.

There's a ton of people that don't care about politics, but I also think there's a large amount of young people who are becoming more engaged in political and social issues as they see threats of what certain policies pose to them.

Probably a bit selfish, probably the same as every generation before them.

Simply. Thank you Gough Whitlam.

quote properly

The plan was introduced in 1975 by the Whitlam Government as Medibank, and was supplemented in 1976 by a government-owned private health insurance fund, Medibank Private, established by the Fraser Government. Medibank was renamed Medicare in 1984.

quote properly

The plan was introduced in 1975 by the Whitlam Government as Medibank, and was supplemented in 1976 by a government-owned private health insurance fund, Medibank Private, established by the Fraser Government. Medibank was renamed Medicare in 1984.

Errrr, and your point is?:confused:

And while you are nitpicking and splitting hairs over nothing, you may as well learn to 'quote properly' yourself. You lifted the entire above paragraph from wikipedia without acknowledgement or referencing the source. This is an act of plagiarism, trying to pass off an entire paragraph from wikipedia as your own words. Tsk, tsk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Australia)#Medibank

At least my post is original :D and the above para from wikipedia serves only to prove and emphasize my point.

Medibank established by Whitlam in 1975 = universal health care
based on need not on ability to pay

Medibank was renamed Medicare in 1984 by the Bob Hawke Govt.
Medicare = universal health care

I don't think you even understand the paragraph you just quoted.
Medibank Private is NOT Medibank :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you think the word 'supplemented' = 'supplanted' which accounts for your confusion. :p

Anyway, here is an updated version of my post.

Simply. Thank you Gough Whitlam for establishing universal health care, Medibank, which was renamed Medicare in 1984 by the Bob Hawke Government.

oh no, sorry i wasnt having a go..i avoid political arguments as we all have diff views..sorry..it was more on the card, as im sure it was hawke who brought out the card in 84......may seem that way but not intended..

Back