RIP Gough Whitlam

The biggest irony is that so many of the midgets that stand up in Parliament to eulogise Gough owe their power and position to the reforms that Gough introduced, particularly education, the same reforms that they are now taking away from the present and future generations of Australians. HYPOCRITES! A pox on both their houses!

That so many of his former political enemies have spoken so highly of him is testament to his greatness.

The fact that Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt took the opportunity today to stick a few knives in is also a testament to that.

I DESPISE them. They're pathetic excuses for human beings. With no respect or basic decency or consideration for the loved ones and family of someone who has just passed away.

I only saw critiques of his ideology and spending/growth in government - am I missing the personal attacks?

I DESPISE them. They're pathetic excuses for human beings. With no respect or basic decency or consideration for the loved ones and family of someone who has just passed away.

If it were up to them, we would still have the white Australia policy and only those born with silver spoons in their mouths would rule; there would be education for only the rich; the poor would have no access to health. Oh wait, that's the direction in which we're headed. The right wing--no vision, no ideas.

History will judge Gough kindly.

His electoral loss in 75 was akin to Churchill's post-war electoral defeat. Both must have felt very betrayed.

Most people have forgotten that there was a mini GFC in 74-75. People voted with their pocketbooks and ousted poor Gough, even though the international economic mess was not his doing.

Alan Jones is a real hypocrite and troublemaker. My friends in the GLBT community find his hateful mouthings to be especially repugnant. According to Chris Masters' book (see below link) he has an unhealthy interest in young boys' bodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown:_The_Power_and_the_Myth_of_Alan_Jones

Lord Shanghai, that has been the case for a very long time. He has always taken young boys 'under his wing'. Remember the footballers he would 'help'? Shame he doesn't come out of the closet.

But apart from universal healthcare, no-fault divorce, indigenous land rights, free tertiary education, establishing diplomatic relations with China, introducing the Order of Australia, establishing legal aid, outlawing racial discrimination, abolishing the death penalty, changing the national anthem, abolishing conscription, standardising the railway gauges, extending sewerage in western Sydney, and granting PNG independence, what did Gough Whitlam ever achieve for Australia in his whole three years in office?
Wow!

I am in awe. RIP Gough Whitlam.

Taking all political affinity out of my view I feel that Gough was a truly great Australian and ahead of his times. Of course, he is probably rightly accused of trying too much too soon and not being as economically aware as he could have been. Although, there was a worldwide economic crisis at the time.

I agree that Australia is much better for his life.

As for Alan Jones et al, not worthy of tying Gough's shoe laces, shameful.

Best regards

The biggest irony is that so many of the midgets that stand up in Parliament to eulogise Gough owe their power and position to the reforms that Gough introduced, particularly education, the same reforms that they are now taking away from the present and future generations of Australians.

HECS has been around since the late 1980s, so the concept of "free and for all" tertiary ed has been looooooooooong gone

ta
rolf

If Gough hadn't had [oops]keating[/oops] crean & cairns as treasurer, Labor may have been in power solid since 1972
lost the re-election on the rebound of fiscal policies, the
treasurer​
is supposed to keep up on that

Ya done good Gough, RIP

like so many businesses
you have Nicky Hilton, then Paris Hilton
bob - paul
kevin? - juliar

edit: sorry paul, wrong f@&^ up labor treasurer, hard to tell one incompetent from another,
thanks for the correction

Last edited:
HECS has been around since the late 1980s, so the concept of "free and for all" tertiary ed has been looooooooooong gone
Sure, it hasn't been free since 1989, but it's certainly gotten "further from free". When introduced, HECS was $1,800 per year ($3,480 in 2013 dollars according to the RBA). A full-time load now attracts fees between $5,000-$9,000 per year.

So the amount students have to pay has increased somewhere between 50 and 250% in real terms.

The Problem I have with Gough is the level of spending and taxation went through the roof along with the massive growth in government. Not that it has gotten any better since then, he just started it.

It is the whole big government, we know what is best and should regulate, control take your money in and give it back to you again in the form of programs you could pay for yourself type thing. I am a big believer in letting people and business get on with it as being much more efficient then government being involved.

The Problem I have with Gough is the level of spending and taxation went through the roof along with the massive growth in government. Not that it has gotten any better since then, he just started it.

It is the whole big government, we know what is best and should regulate, control take your money in and give it back to you again in the form of programs you could pay for yourself type thing. I am a big believer in letting people and business get on with it as being much more efficient then government being involved.

Thankfully with the growth of the libertarian movement, we may see more people like David Leyonhjelm on the scene.

http://www.ldp.org.au/

Im pretty sure Bob wasnt treasurer either. He had a couple, Bill Hayden being the last before he was dismissed. Im pretty sure Bob was leader of the ACTU till being parachuted into parliament and then parachuted into the leadership deposing Bill Hayden just before the 83 election.

Back