RIP Nelson Mandela

Everyday we read of "heroes" in the media, just pretenders, would be's and wanna be's

Nelson Mandela, displayed for all to see, what a hero truly is, RIP

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"

"When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity"

“No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” Nelson Mandela.

The peaceful transition from white to majority rule in South Africa, and especially the ongoing peaceful nature of that rule, was something I never would have thought possible.

Thank you Madiba. One of the great achievements of the 20th century.

I have been in that cell he lived in for so many years, I couldn't have lasted a month. he lasted 27 years

refused to be broken, that takes enormous strength

Mandela was nothing more than a Marxist terrorist. He pleaded guilty to 156 counts of public violence, including planting bombs in public places. He was the instigator of bombing campaigns which killed innocent women and children.

While he was president, over 100 000 people were murdered which works out on average of 25 000 people each year. Up from 170 a year under Apartheid (1948-1989).

He released thousands of criminals, murderers and rapists from jail every year to celebrate his birthday while president, unleashing even more violence, chaos and death on the people of South Africa.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/africa/item/15888-saint-mandela-not-so-fast

I wonder if the family members of their victims mourn his death.
The ones who were given the necklace ...tire around their neck doused in fuel and set alight.

Wasn't he in prison for murder?

It's no different than all these people who make a folk hero out of Ned Kelly and many others, just like him.

Do you also despise soldiers who fought against totalitarian governments elsewhere in the world? After all, they killed people as well. And their families must be upset.

Do you hate American soldiers who drop bombs on innocent civillians in Iraq? After all, I wonder if the family members of their victims feel liberated?

Or do they not count?

Well done for pulling a cheap political stunt and turning a memorial thread into a platform for your own political views. Really nice, caring and thoughtful of you.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/africa/item/15888-saint-mandela-not-so-fast

I wonder if the family members of their victims mourn his death.
The ones who were given the necklace ...tire around their neck doused in fuel and set alight.

Wasn't he in prison for murder?

It's no different than all these people who make a folk hero out of Ned Kelly and many others, just like him.
Quoting from the publication of the John Birch Society, an extreme right wing group which has claimed that the US Civil Rights movement has been "deliberately and almost wholly created by the Communists patiently building up to this present stage for more than forty years"

It opposed the US Civil Rights act and is against the United Nations.

This is a credible source?

btw it was his ex wife's (Winnie) bodyguards who abducted and killed an 14yo boy- and probably others. Nelson Mandela was still in prison when that happened- a political prisoner. He was still loyal to her until she was found guilty. Nelson Mandela himself was never in prison for murder.

Taking a deep breath and steeping away from the ideological agendas.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens into the future. The ANC has become a highly corrupt organisation, filled with cronyism and division.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone like Helen Zille became president, with a unified government behind her.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Zille

I have no concern for Mandela or any one else, like him.
I am not a politcal person.

It annoys me when murderers like this are held up on a pedastal.

We were in a small town in Australia (I forget which one) and their claim to fame was an outlaw similar to Ned Kelly.
Selling all sorts of souvenirs. Rob and I spoke about how wrong we thought it was, to celebrate this person.
We stopped for lunch at the town cafe. An elderly man (about 90) came in and asked if he could sit with us, because all the tables were full. He was a retired police man from that town. He started talking about this local 'outlaw folk hero", and was appalled at the way his town profited from it. He said no one considers the police men who put their lives on the line, when dealing with these people.

While he was president, over 100 000 people were murdered which works out on average of 25 000 people each year. Up from 170 a year under Apartheid (1948-1989).

Do you seriously believe those figures? Really? A source would be nice, if you have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

We were in a small town in Australia (I forget which one) and their claim to fame was an outlaw similar to Ned Kelly.
Selling all sorts of souvenirs. Rob and I spoke about how wrong we thought it was, to celebrate this person.
We stopped for lunch at the town cafe. An elderly man (about 90) came in and asked if he could sit with us, because all the tables were full. He was a retired police man from that town. He started talking about this local 'outlaw folk hero", and was appalled at the way his town profited from it. He said no one considers the police men who put their lives on the line, when dealing with these people.
Ned Kelly was a criminal with few redeeming features- although there is an argument to be made that he was been a member of an oppressed minority (the Irish).

Nelson Mandela was a flawed man, who had his faults and who did things wrong- but what he achieved in South Africa by getting a deeply divided and potentially explosive population to talk to each other and to agree to a peaceful handover from the minority white rulers to a unity government was a huge thing. I had never thought that apartheid South Africa would ever revert to majority rule without a huge amount of bloodshed or subsequent recrimination. Whatever his faults, he did achieve this.

There is no comparison with Ned Kelly.

How do you view Nancy Wake?

Back