Robotics and Automation

What does the future hold over the next 20 years for industry ?

Will trains and trucks become fully automated ?

Will we have robots as house keepers and soldiers in the military ?

What other jobs will disappear or become obsolete in 20 years time ?

What new opportunities will emerge ?

What does the future hold over the next 20 years for industry ?

Will trains and trucks become fully automated ?

Will we have robots as house keepers and soldiers in the military ?

What other jobs will disappear or become obsolete in 20 years time ?

What new opportunities will emerge ?

Less train drivers but more work for the guys setting up the command centres and operating them. Also, nano technology in medicine, etc.

funny you mention this.

Google unveiled the latest iteration of its self-driving car today with no steering wheel or pedals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSDWoAhvLU&feature=youtu.be

I eagerly look forward to the implications this tech has. Imagine homes built without garages because you just summon a car when you need it. Being networked to all the other vehicles and smart roads it will be able to safely whisk you to your destination in comfort - no road rage, no ego, no road hogging, no drunk driving, no hoonin, no crashes and possibly even no stopping at traffic lights because the road will tell the vehicle what speed to be at to ensure a journey that doesn't get a red light.

instead of purchasing a vehicle and forking out for fuel, maintenance, license and registration, etc you just pay a set monthly fee as you do with water, power, gas, phone, internet, etc or pay as you go much like we do now with taxis and uber.

These vehicles are electrically powered and when they need to recharge they just head for a recharge point and plug themselves in so no more visits to the gas station.

Because these vehicles will be summoned when you need them this may also mean fewer parking spaces will be required and you'll never need to worry about finding a parking spot and paying for it or getting a parking fine - imagine that!

The future is exciting.

I'm a control systems / automation engineer. The mines are innovating big time, especially with the down turn. As far as jobs goes, you have to be skilled up in something in the future, no more unskilled operators. Every thing is becoming fully operated from dump trucks to trains, even shiploaders.

For domestic use, there are a lot of sensors an IC chips and circuit boards available to the general public and ridiculously low prices. You are only limited by your imagination on what you want to control and automate around your home.

For domestic use, there are a lot of sensors an IC chips and circuit boards available to the general public and ridiculously low prices. You are only limited by your imagination on what you want to control and automate around your home.

I wonder if I could insert a chip somewhere into our youngest son and have him automatically pick up his clothing and assorted crap from his floor instead of using his clothing as a strange kind of area rug? :D

I think the life changer over the next 20 years will be the 3D printer, it's unbelievable what they're doing with them now - 'Printing' houses, clothes and they've even started printing food. They're selling them for $100 now, just wait till everyone has one in their own home.

I think the life changer over the next 20 years will be the 3D printer, it's unbelievable what they're doing with them now - 'Printing' houses, clothes and they've even started printing food. They're selling them for $100 now, just wait till everyone has one in their own home.

I was telling our sons that I first recall seeing a 3D printer on some show probably 20 years ago and was gobsmacked. They all said I "was dreaming" but I googled and the first 3D printer was indeed made many years ago (1984).

I love it when they challenge me and tell me I'm making things up and I can prove them wrong :D. Young'uns seem to think they invented the wheel... :p

Back