Rudd vAbbott

Less than 30 mins before they go head to head for the first time in this campaign. Abbots' personality(or lack of),reluctance to debate and general lack of policy will surely come under great scrutiny. Should be very interesting.....

You are kidding.

Why would anyone want to debate Kevin Rudd after all that has happened since he first became PM...?????

It's just been a shambles so why go down the path of "debating" him...?

More like he'd be "baiting" Mr Abbott.

I mean, shouldnt he be debating Julia as well..? Wasnt she in there just not long ago...?
Was she elected by the public..? Was KR elected this time round by the public????

Way too many questions hanging over Labors heads.

let the public make their decision as they most obviously already have this time round.:rolleyes:

I thought Rudd looked a tad P($$ed off that he didn't have control of the debate.

Abbott calm and more sure of himself and his party.

Sportsbet had Abbott at $3 to win. How do they decide who wins?

Opening round appears to have resulted in a no score draw! Kevin not his normal confident self and frequent referral to notes did not help his cause,however Tony still has little substance in his rantings and will have to rely on Aussie greed to propel him over the finishing line....

Opening round appears to have resulted in a no score draw! Kevin not his normal confident self and frequent referral to notes did not help his cause,however Tony still has little substance in his rantings and will have to rely on Aussie greed to propel him over the finishing line....

Rudd is a train wreck. Abbott isn't great but he's streets ahead of Rudd.

I felt Abbot had no age care policy that he could articulate. That's when I tuned in. I was eating a very nice korma chicken curry with a chardonnay followed by a German beer.

I felt Abbot had no age care policy that he could articulate. That's when I tuned in. I was eating a very nice korma chicken curry with a chardonnay followed by a German beer.

The aged care policy we have now appears to be working well - it's recent and no one's complaining about it. If it's working why change it for the sake of it? I think that was Abbotts view too.

My reaction when that Q came up was that it was a strange thing to bring up.

Just curious... what do you think is wrong with the policy and how do you think it should be changed?

Edit... I personally think retirees want more security and chopping and changing policy regarding nursing homes and superannuation won't give them that.

Last edited:
The aged care policy we have now appears to be working well - it's recent and no one's complaining about it. If it's working why change it for the sake of it? I think that was Abbotts view too.

Just curious... what do you think is wrong with the policy and how do you think it should be changed?

Edit... I personally think retirees want more security and chopping and changing policy regarding nursing homes and superannuation won't give them that.

There are significant changes to aged care funding introduced and passed by the current government due to come in July next year. Information on these changes is starting to be rolled out and some finer details still being worked out.

Aged care organisations are trying to get a handle on how these changes will pan out etc.

Edit... I personally think retirees want more security and chopping and changing policy regarding nursing homes and superannuation won't give them that. The government wants people who access services to pay for the service if they have super & assets

There are significant changes to aged care funding introduced and passed by the current government due to come in July next year. Information on these changes is starting to be rolled out and some finer details still being worked out.

Aged care organisations are trying to get a handle on these changes will work out etc.

Aged care organisations are trying to get a handle on how these changes will pan out etc.

My understanding is it first came into effect July 2012 and rolled out from there.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/mr-yr12-mb-mb032.htm

There were a few negative rumbling initially but it was fairly well accepted.

Either way Abbott is not opposed to the policy hence why he hasn't drawn up a new one.

The government wants people who access services to pay for the service if they have super & assets .

Changing policies all the time and the content of a policy are 2 different things.

Aside from both parties supporting this... what is the issue with user pays? There is no avoiding it - aged care is expensive and the number of elderly is increasing. If the elderly themselves don't pay others will.

This is one of the few Gillard policies I did like.

Last edited:

Nice balanced appraisal:)

Less than 30 mins before they go head to head for the first time in this campaign. Abbots' personality(or lack of),reluctance to debate and general lack of policy will surely come under great scrutiny. Should be very interesting.....

Of course there has never been any reluctance to debate from Abbott. As he said, There was always going to be 3 as is the recent convention. However it now appears it is Kevin who is ill prepared to debate. Reading from a prepared script is hardly a debate and is against the rules he agreed to.

Rubbish format all round though. The "town hall" style of last time provided a lot more insight.

It's an on-air lying contest, really.

Let me guess; lots of promising, a bit of personal slagging and a couple of well-made suits and ties.

Maybe a smidgeon of what both of them say will actually come to pass.

Did either of them say: "The Carbon Tax will achieve absolutely nothing - except for money in our coffers - so we are going to scrap both it, and any idea of an Emissions Trading Scheme - forever."

USPGA on FoxSport with Adam Scott in contention is far more exciting...and real.

Even "Men in Black" is more real.

I thought Rudd looked a tad P($$ed off that he didn't have control of the debate.

Abbott calm and more sure of himself and his party.

I was just amazed how well Abbott went. I expected Rudd to out-debate him easily, but Abbott was fantastic.

See ya's.

Refused to watch it as only annoys me ... but all over the news this morning that Rudd cheated by using notes ... not a good look

In all honesty I'm not to sure what the current policy is. In the last 2 years I've had significant exposure to the legal side of growing old and what happens when you don't have enough money to retire on. This has started giving me nightmares as a self employed who hasn't made an super contributions in 8 years I will be reliant on my own ability to generate money over the next 10-15 years.

I am reluctant to put money in super because it will be the easy mark when the government needs money to hit it with higher exit taxes.

There needs to be absolute stability without chop/changing the rules. People need to provide for their own retirement and this may mean selling off the family home in lieu of pension.

I'm neither Lib or Labour on this one- I just know some tough decisions will be made- most likely in 5-10 years when it will affect me most and I would like to plan for them. The Rixter strategy is sounding better as it sidesteps the opportunities under current laws for the government to tax you as no assets are disposed of triggering CGT events.

Abbot look the better man last night (IMHO).

Because he's not faking anything.

Whereas Rudd had to rely on his notes to get thru. We all know Rudd can talk the hind legs off an elephant without actually saying anything.

I have to agree with others saying why change things for the sake of changing...?

Rudd changed the pacific solution and now look at the mess.

Too much ego and not enough serving of ones position as a public elected servant.

Back