Rudd vAbbott

Terrific question, and I - as a Lib supporter - often ask myself it.

I don't reckon the Libs can achieve miracles either, but I know that everyone has no confidence in Labor to do anything, soo the alternative can't be any worse....

Or can it?

Only one way to find out. Peter

Then it is the Greens!

In reply:

the NLP says now 10 years to get back to surplus. That is not "return to glory days" promise to me.

The ALP said each year , a surplus, then failed. Only as little as 3months or so we were told deficit is $3BN now it is $30BN

Who is being more honest/responsible?

I agree NLP may stuff up as well but your logic is give the proven Goose another go? As opposed to trying the unproven and possible Goose?

Peter

Hi Peter,

My post was to highlight the responses of forum members, attacking the original questioner.

It wasn't a criticism of the LNP campaign, or promises. I agree they aren't promising a return to the glory days. A forum member did that, not the party.

I wasn't suggesting giving the goose another go, or changing gooses, or a possible third goose. It wasn't a comment on either party's policies or ideas.

I was pointing out the uncivil responses to a perfectly legitimate question. That's all.

That was stupid of Swan to think and say that.
Swanny got sucked in by the politics of "Labor always has deficits, Liberals always have surpluses"
The problem is due to the mandated way that treasury and the RBA work out the forward estimates. Over the four year period for the first two years they forecast what will occur but for the second two year period they are required to project that everything will revert to the long term trend.

For the sakes of their reputations I heard that they want to have this changed during the next government so that they are able to forecast everything over the forward estimates.

Agree.

ALP simply had to say the truth. Hey, we did our best, we didnt know how bad GFC would be, we stuffed up here and there, but did we go into a GFC. No. Even acknowledge others work re Banks.

But No Everything NLP says is bad and everything ALP says is good.

I think the recent ALP policy of North AUS Economic Zone sums it up. When NLP only thought about this they were ridiculed as dumb arses. Now it is ALP policy:confused: and good!. A

Yet the ALP wonders why I and others cannot trust them?

Peter

I don't reckon the Libs can achieve miracles either, but I know that everyone has no confidence in Labor to do anything, soo the alternative can't be any worse....

Or can it?

No, just a bit different in certain areas, one of which is Industrial Relations.
I don't know that they will have the balls to swing the pendulum back in favour of the employers, though.

List of things to do for business.
Cut penalty rates.
Reverse the sham contracting crackdown.
Stymy union influence on building sites.
Freeze the super increases.
Reduce environmental restrictions on development. (one stop shop)

Hi Peter,

My post was to highlight the responses of forum members, attacking the original questioner.

It wasn't a criticism of the LNP campaign, or promises. I agree they aren't promising a return to the glory days. A forum member did that, not the party.

I wasn't suggesting giving the goose another go, or changing gooses, or a possible third goose. It wasn't a comment on either party's policies or ideas.

I was pointing out the uncivil responses to a perfectly legitimate question. That's all.

Sorry missed that. Peter

The only deductions I can make from these post's is that people are quite uncertain about what the future holds for us,and,wether you swing to the left or the right, we all seem to be shifting towards the middle ground.
I cannot remember a time in which so much political uncertainty prevailed.
It appears to me that a large percentage of voters have very little confidence in either of the main parties and the alternatives are not worth considering.
I for one will not be scribbling my X with any great conviction.:confused:

The only deductions I can make from these post's is that people are quite uncertain about what the future holds for us,and,wether you swing to the left or the right, we all seem to be shifting towards the middle ground.
It appears to me that a large percentage of voters have very little confidence in either of the main parties and the alternatives are not worth considering.
As an employer, I will always vote Liberal.

But, even if I was an employee, I would still vote Lib, because of their overall mindset of government which is broader and more Australia as a whole.

Labour is more focused on the little guy, who isn't necessarily going to put Country before self.

I want my little corner to be good, but we need the big paddock to be good for the little corner to be good.

Yes but if i may be bi-partisan, IMO the best economic governments are ones with great, strong, disciplined treasurers. Hawke had Keating and Howard had Costello.

A weak treasurer is a game over. Swan needed to dominate Rudd / Gillard and others like the above did.

So is Hockey up to it? Only a real test will tell.

Peter

Last edited:
Yes but if i may be bi-partisan, IMO the best economic governments are ones with great, strong, disciplined treasurers. Hawke had Keating and Howard had Costello.

A weak treasurer is a game over. Swan needed to dominate Rudd / Gillard and others like the above did.

So is Hocky up to it? Only a real test will tell.

Peter
I've been watching Joe Hockey for many years.

I've often thought he would eventually be the PM, and I still do.

He takes no shoit from no-one....he has a strong presence, a quick and intelligent wit, is personable and very experienced.

Watch that space.

I've been watching Joe Hockey for many years.

I've often thought he would eventually be the PM, and I still do.

He takes no shoit from no-one....he has a strong presence, a quick and intelligent wit, is personable and very experienced.

Watch that space.

Thats is Good.

He also seems happy to let Abbott be the leader which was another trait of the two governments I mentioned.

Peter

I've been watching Joe Hockey for many years.' I've often thought he would eventually be the PM, and I still do. He takes no shoit from no-one....he has a strong presence, a quick and intelligent wit, is personable and very experienced. Watch that space.

Hockey was a junior minister in the Treasury portfolio way back when (Minister for Financial Services iirc) - he was seen as a bit of a joke around the Department tbh. In his defence, he has improved a lot since then.

Maybe he will be PM one day (he was once the leader of the NSW Young Liberals, so it is not beyond comprehension that he could lead them federally).

Or maybe it will be a case of bad timing...

Abbott gets elected PM - will likely be around for (at least) 2 terms and then either hand pick his successor* or be defeated at an election.

And then they'll be in opposition for at least another 2 terms and not back in government again until at least ~ 2025.

*So if he isn't chosen as TA's successor (while they're still in government) or somehow manage to wrest the top job away from TA - then the earliest he could possibly be in the lodge is a long way away (and a lot can happen in that time)...

Last edited:
A Treasurers Lot!

Well it kind of is (especially when you think about the role of Treasurer being one of only 3 central ministerial roles).

And even more so, in a coalition government (the last two long serving coalition Treasuers - Howard and Costello - both had ambitions for The Lodge - but only JH got the keys).

If you're the leader of the Liberals in a coalition government -> you are the PM. The leader of the Nats is Deputy PM and (typically) gets handed a suitably "rural" portfolio.

Of the jobs that are left, Treasurer is (arguably and almost certainly) the next most prestigious. It makes sense that the de-facto 2IC within the major coalition party gets the role. If Howard had died in office, the Deputy PM (Fischer / Anderson / Vaile) would have only been Acting PM until the Libs elected a new leader (which in all likelihood would have been Costello).

Keating (according to his biography) wanted the role of Treasurer to show he could prove his worth with a major portfolio - and match it with all his ministerial colleagues who, unlike him, at least finished high school - many of them had degrees (and Hawke was a Rhodes Scholar).

Or can it?

First we'll get the "now we've looked at the books in detail, things are much worse than we expected so ...."

Then they might be tempted to listen to PWC quoted in today's Age. PwC Australia head Luke Sayers:

''[We] should rely more heavily on consumption and land taxes, and less on corporate and personal taxes, stamp duty, taxation of insurance, and payroll taxes in their current form,'' Mr Sayers said.

''[And] taxes need to be more uniformly applied with fewer exemptions and concessions. These two changes alone would help address some of the major economic and fiscal challenges facing us today.''

http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...an-approach-20130826-2sm8t.html#ixzz2d9CR7J1d

(may be paywalled). Sounds like a hint that he would withdraw NG given a chance.

Kate Ellis initially had posters up on close to every second mainstreet pole in some places - total overkill in trying to outdo everyone else - but many have disappeared.

Limits on how many can be put up and where perhaps?

If they were torn down i'm sure they'd be back up in a flash, but they haven't.

I just noticed in my electorate someone overnight removed every single Labor placard that was along my route to work. Not one remains. Someone must hold a grudge against Labor winning the negotiation to form government last election.
This is a Liberal held set whose margin has slowly declined due to the fact that the local member is a poor performer and usually invisible until election time. Highly unlikely to change hands anyway.
I often wonder if he has another job as a doctor somewhere. Even his local party members wanted to turf him out because he wasn't raising enough money with fundraisers.

Just got another call from a pollster - that's 2 in less than a week.

This time it was a real person who claimed he was independent, but didn't proceed with questioning me as he already had the quota from my age group.

Hi Mush
I don't think it would be very good for Canberra based on our experience with the Howard government. Jobs and services will be cut and property prices will drop. Would it be the same for your State (Perth)?
Regards
AYK

Hi AYK,
The state liberal government have announced 500 job losses in the education sector,despite upwards of 1000 people entering Perth on a weekly basis.

Work commitments forced me to miss tonights' final head to head with the big two.
Did Kevin win again or did Tony manage some kind of response?

Work commitments forced me to miss tonights' final head to head with the big two.
Did Kevin win again or did Tony manage some kind of response?
I was watching a recorded episode of Selling Houses Australia......

Far more interesting and probably far more useful to us little investors.

I'll pay attention when Joe runs for Leader.

Back