Rudd vAbbott

Just got another call from a pollster - that's 2 in less than a week.

This time it was a real person who claimed he was independent, but didn't proceed with questioning me as he already had the quota from my age group.
Why aren't you screening calls through to the message bank?

I was watching a recorded episode of Selling Houses Australia......

Far more interesting and probably far more useful to us little investors.

I'll pay attention when Joe runs for Leader.

Hey Bayview,I was watching 'homes under the hammer' last night and some fella (investor/renovator) purchased an old victorian terraced house in Notting Hill,London, at an auction. He paid 980,000 pounds,(guide price;700,000),and then sold it on through an estate agent a few weeks later for 1.25 million without so much as lifting a paint brush!
Made me turn several shades of green .............

Hey Bayview,I was watching 'homes under the hammer' last night and some fella (investor/renovator) purchased an old victorian terraced house in Notting Hill,London, at an auction. He paid 980,000 pounds,(guide price;700,000),and then sold it on through an estate agent a few weeks later for 1.25 million without so much as lifting a paint brush!
Made me turn several shades of green .............
Sounds like a nice result, but what would the nett result have been after all the purchase costs, selling costs and cap gains tax (assuming they have that in the UK)?

Less than 30 mins before they go head to head for the first time in this campaign. Abbots' personality(or lack of),reluctance to debate and general lack of policy will surely come under great scrutiny. Should be very interesting.....

My - the original post of this thread is only 19 days old.

Are you of the same opinion still ??

Senior Labor Ministers are sitting at their desks thinking wistfully about Julia Gillard right now ;)

I will make a prediction here that may or may not be proven correct.

I see Tony Abbott as PM for a minimum of 3 terms.

My two bobs worth.

Senior Labor Ministers are sitting at their desks thinking wistfully about Julia Gillard right now ;)

My two bobs worth.

on the predictions: liberal 3 terms, not necessarily TA.
id vote for malcolm in 3 yrs time

on the predictions: liberal 3 terms, not necessarily TA.
id vote for malcolm in 3 yrs time

Malcolm has no political capital as he has never won an election or even come close in the polls. It's like saying that John Howard was going to be replaced by Costello - but this never happened in 4 terms.

My two bobs worth.

I see Liberals for a minimum 2 terms, possibly 3.

But not Abbott.

I see Liberals for a minimum 2 terms, possibly 3.

The issue of succession has raised its head in the last 3 governments:

In spite of the (so called) "Kirribilli Agreement", Hawke couldn't let go of power in favour of Keating, so was challenged and on the 2nd occasion was rolled.

It is no secret that Costello had higher ambitions and Howard probably should have stepped down in favour of Costello (or someone else) 12-18 months before the 2007 election (we may never have had Rudd if Howard had seen the writing on the wall).

And the Rudd / Gillard / Rudd circus has been quite farcical.

If they (the liberals) can manage their own egos and recognise that turnover, done right, is actually a good thing - then they will be in power for longer. 2 terms is pretty much guaranteed though - even this lame-duck of a government managed it, and Australia just doesn't have 1 term governments at the federal level (not in a long time, anyway).

So I'd be thinking Abbott for 2.5 or maybe 3.5 terms - and then someone else (again, if they can manage succession well - which no federal government has done since Menzies stepped down in favour of Holt).

I can't see Abbott lasting more than 2 years as PM. Even the rusted on Liberal voters that I know don't like him and would much prefer someone else leading their party.

I can see Costello coming back.

Heck, why not, you've got Beattie, Bob Carr all parachuting in.

Costello v Shorten 2016.

See how wrong I am then.;)

I can't see Abbott lasting more than 2 years as PM. Even the rusted on Liberal voters that I know don't like him and would much prefer someone else leading their party.
yep. His laugh does me in, amongst other things.

Hurry up and take over, Joe.

About the most normal bloke they have, that doesn't get on people's nerves, I reckon.

My - the original post of this thread is only 19 days old.

Are you of the same opinion still ??

Yes Dazz,19 long days ago!
To be fair to Abbott he has conducted himself quite well in the three head to head debates but he is hardly Winston Churchiill is he?
I would have liked to have seen more of him including an appearance on Q and A, and expected more transparency and substance from both parties on policy.
Neither Tony or Kevin have really set me alight so lets hope the victor can give us something to smile about in the not too distant future......

To be fair to Abbott he has conducted himself quite well in the three head to head debates but he is hardly Winston Churchiill is he?

No, he's not....but then, in 2013 is that what the country needs ?? What you will get is a cohesive team that is better than any single individual.

I want a unified team of work horses, not a single trick solitary show pony.

I would have liked to have seen more of him including an appearance on Q and A

To be fair, it's not fair if you're not a card carrying Greenie, so why bother ??

The audience is stacked, the political leanings of the audience declared at the start of the show is massively wrong every time. One of our greatest Prime Minister's ever went on the show and had a shoe thrown at his head and absolutely nothing was done. It's a joke.

Neither Tony or Kevin have really set me alight so lets hope the victor can give us something to smile about in the not too distant future......

I'm not hoping for anything to be given to me at all. I'm going to stand on my own two feet, and at the same time attempt to give something back to the community.

The audience is stacked, the political leanings of the audience declared at the start of the show is massively wrong every time. One of our greatest Prime Minister's ever went on the show and had a shoe thrown at his head and absolutely nothing was done. It's a joke.

They threw a shoe at Gough Whitlam? Outrageous!

No, he's not....but then, in 2013 is that what the country needs ?? What you will get is a cohesive team that is better than any single individual.

I want a unified team of work horses, not a single trick solitary show pony.

To be fair, it's not fair if you're not a card carrying Greenie, so why bother ??

I'm not hoping for anything to be given to me at all. I'm going to stand on my own two feet, and at the same time attempt to give something back to the community.

Well Dazz,it's difficult to see where Abbotts' cohesive team are going to come from as Joe Hockey apart,his backing in this election has been pretty woeful.
Great politicians hold no fear of going into the lions den so Abbott should have done Q and A as Thatcher did the BBC's question time with Sir Robin Day and won over many of her critics with a legendary performance.
It is good that you are able to stand on your own two feet and give something back to your community,I hope you will spare a thought for the many less fortunate Australians that for many varying reasons are unable to.........

Back