Sad day....our little staffies went to a new home!

Hi Everyone,

Just a sad day, after a final decision to move into the city for a unit alot closer to work - we had to make the heart breaking decision of finding out special children a new home. I think we made the right decision, the bloke who is taking them is very nice and seems to love his dog. Along with this, he has a disabled sister who finds happiness in dogs - their 6 yr old staffy just passed away while giving birth.

Anyway, here is small picture of them.

So who else on here has had to give up their pets to move forward? We are finding that it is an extremely hard thing and hoping we made the right decision.

Attachments

• 400973_10150468149496938_536686937_9110303_978669611_n.jpg
    400973_10150468149496938_536686937_9110303_978669611_n.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 416945_10150544334546669_674731668_9319887_1584327216_n.jpg
    416945_10150544334546669_674731668_9319887_1584327216_n.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 76
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 70
We had to get rid of a dog years ago. He's a Springer Spaniel.

The people that bought him (he's purebred but the only reason we put a price was that we didn't want someone taking him with ulterior motives).

The people that bought him (elderly couple) were great. They invited the kids to see him at their home. We drove up there (Blue Mountains) and visited so the kids were happy. They showed us a photo of their dog that had died and the similarities were amazing.

A year or so later the kids got a postcard from the dog saying he'd moved to Merimbula. It told how he loved walking at the beach, chasing the birds etc. I thought that was so lovely of the new owners. He definitely has a charmed life with his new owners.

Such a good story there. It is so hard because they become like family, but this person that took on our dogs seems like a very good bloke. He has already got back to me with photos showing them settling in to their new home and all!

Man I feel for you guys..

I could never (personally) give my Dog away, we grew up together and she's 14 now. Even in the hardest of times when renting a unit would have been nice, I had to rent a house because I love my girl. We have a new pup now too! But we're doing well financially now and have a large acerage for them to enjoy so our home life is stable, which is something I didn't have in my teens.

I'm glad they went to a good home.

I have a cat and custody of my grandkitty.When we travelled the first year, they went to live with my son, who lives in the same apt building as us. When we returned they were supposed to move back in with us for the 4 months we were home. Son wanted to keep them, because it took a long time for them to stop meowing to "go home". So I can visit them at "their " home now.

Our grandpuppy unexpectedly had 4 puppies in 2008. When it was time to find new homes, we did attach a price to them because we also wanted to make sure the new owners would be able to afford any expenses/vet bills.... and they were mutts,cute mutts.
I had applicants write a letter stating what they could offer to our puppy and why I should pick them. It was an extrememly difficult time, as I never had to find homes for animals before. All had agreed to provide updates of how things were going, which 3 honored.
They are still very much a part of my thoughts..they are the first picture I see each time I turn on my computer.

To the original poster, it does get easier, especially if they continue to give you updates, even for a little while.

Exactly my thinking, a Dog is not just for Christmas, and in many ways it helped me move forward (financially speaking) because it forced me to be better with what little money I had at the time and upped my standard of living at the same time. It's amazing what you can do when you've got a best mate to look out for, and amazing what they do for you, too.
Kudos

Neither. My dogs are part of the family and we made a commitment to take care of them for their entire lives when we brought them home.

Cheers

Jamie

It's alot better than what some of our tenants( and other dropped off at our apt buildings) have done..and moved without taking the pets, or finding them homes.
In the 6 years we have taken responsibity for 8 cats.

At least OP took the time to find as best alternative as possible.

I'm sure he already feels bad enough, without anyone making him feel worse.

Yes thats true Kat, thanks for chipping that bit in, I'm sure he's sad enough about the whole thing and I'm glad that tbey can rest easy knowing the Dogs went to a good home :)

What a heart breaking decision to have to make.

We have a 12yo Golden Retriever who recently needed a very expensive knee reconstruction. When considering the cost, my husband questioned the return on investment :rolleyes: She is part of our family, we couldn't not do it.

Cool Nemo :)

Reminds me of a chicken we have. It got really sick and turns out it was just egg-bound. My Wife atually took it to the vet! And paid $200 for them to steam it's bum. It still didn't work, got her home and 15 minutes before the deadline (Vet said if she doesn't get any better before x time) she laid an egg just 15 mins before being put down..!

Everyone laughs that we took her to the Vet but my Wife says, She's a part of our Family, and she's a pet, just because She's a Chicken doesn't mean we shouldn't look after her.
And I agree.

I don't mean to change your thread Andy, sorry mate, just popped up in my mind.
I know it's not an easy time for you guys. But things will be okay as time goes on and they have found a good home.

Cool Nemo :)

Reminds me of a chicken we have. It got really sick and turns out it was just egg-bound. My Wife atually took it to the vet! And paid $200 for them to steam it's bum. It still didn't work, got her home and 15 minutes before the deadline (Vet said if she doesn't get any better before x time) she laid an egg just 15 mins before being put down..!

Everyone laughs that we took her to the Vet but my Wife says, She's a part of our Family, and she's a pet, just because She's a Chicken doesn't mean we shouldn't look after her.
And I agree.

I don't mean to change your thread Andy, sorry mate, just popped up in my mind.
I know it's not an easy time for you guys. But things will be okay as time goes on and they have found a good home.

Friends of ours had a cockatiel (Canada) and her name was Lucky.They found her outside perched in a tree, and it was very cold. She was someone's
pet that either escaped and was 'released'.They took her in, and saved her from a certain death. She would "nest" a lot and she actually died from being egg bound a couple of years ago.

Years ago, when we bought a male hamster, it was in great health. A few weeks later it was all swollen in the tail region. We thought it was in terrible trouble, so we took him to the vet. The vet checked him over, looked at us a smiled, and said he needs a girlfriend. That will be $10 please.It doubled the value of the hamster, but we were relieved he was ok. We bought him a girlfriend and they had 11 babies.

We have a 12yo Golden Retriever who recently needed a very expensive knee reconstruction. When considering the cost, my husband questioned the return on investment :rolleyes: She is part of our family, we couldn't not do it.

I realise the ROI comment is in jest, but on a serious note, the joy and laughter my golden has brought myself and my family on a daily basis is truly priceless and he is considered a member of the family.

I knew when I got him 4 years ago he was a lifetime commitment and have treated it that way. I would never consider giving him up and would/have altered my life to suit the 'family' needs.

I have to agree that it is extremely hard decision to make, and not one we took very lightly. We honestly weighed up our options, over and over. Nearly didn't move just so we could keep the dogs, but we knew we just had to do it.

Took us a while to find the perfect owner for them, and we believe we did. There was no way we would let them go somewhere that wasn't great for them.

We miss them terribly and hope we made the right choice

So sad to hear that you had to let them go. My boys (jack russell terrier mutts) are definately part of the family and although I like the idea of moving closer to work I wouldn't be able to find a pet friendly rental, so sticking to our home.

Because of my boys, I am constantly cleaning and improving the house because I want a good environment for them to play in :)

Hope your dogs enjoy their new home :)

I had to rehome a couple of dogs years ago so I understand how you feel. I hope I never have to do that again but who knows what life can throw at you. Anyway it looks like you found a good home for them. They will be fine. You will probably miss them more than they will miss you. :) It's amazing how quickly they settle in actually. I am the proud owner of three second hand dogs now :D and have owned rehomed dogs in the past as well.

These three littlies (Chinese Crested Dogs) will probably be our last dogs so we are a bit precious about them. We sold our much loved small acreage property a couple of years ago. It was a steep piece of land and getting a bit much for us. I refused to leave this Council area, and held out for a half acre replacement, because of the dogs. You are allowed up to four dogs here if you have 2000 sq.meters or more. So I wouldn't even look at anything less, not even 1 sq.meter less, these little guys have been rehomed enough I reckon. The real estate agents thought I was barking mad. ;):D

Yeah I had to rehome a dog a long time ago and would never do it again - way too heartbreaking. Karma bit me on the bum because when I moved to Perth I specifically bought a house instead of rented a unit so I could keep my ageing cat. Damn thing died before I moved in so now I have a big house that I don't really need.

I fully believe that a dog/cat/bird etc is for life so I won't be getting another pet until I know I'm set and no longer need or want to travel or work away. I also allow pets in all my properties because I know how hard it is to find a rental where you can have pets.

Yeah I had to rehome a dog a long time ago and would never do it again - way too heartbreaking. Karma bit me on the bum because when I moved to Perth I specifically bought a house instead of rented a unit so I could keep my ageing cat. Damn thing died before I moved in so now I have a big house that I don't really need.

I fully believe that a dog/cat/bird etc is for life so I won't be getting another pet until I know I'm set and no longer need or want to travel or work away. I also allow pets in all my properties because I know how hard it is to find a rental where you can have pets.
It is very heartbreaking. We are still finding it hard to come home to an empty backyard, usually I'm out there every day doing something but at the moment it just saddens me to see their empty dog area.

We are now in the same boat where we are committed to never getting another pet until we settle into our next PPOR, which I think will definitely be a few years off yet.

We have cats. When one of them got sick, my hubby and I discussed what our upper limit was for vet fees before we put the cat down.

He is very much part of the family, but there is a limit. I know someone who has a dog that was on dialysis, a cat needing high cost drugs and various other animals having vet treatment, and they could hardly afford to pay their mortgage.
I think there does come a time when pets should be put down, no matter how much they are part of the family. Fortunately, our cat got better without much intervention, and lived to see another day.

Back