Scott Pape's MoneySmart Teaching

Looks like a number of well known financial salespeople other than Scott signed up for it as well as a host of other stakeholders

ASIC has a large and diverse group of stakeholders. Key stakeholders in consumer and financial literacy education include:

Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
The Council of Australian Governments
The Ministerial Council for Education, Early Childhood Development and Youth Affairs
The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority
The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership
The Australian Government Financial Literacy Board
The National Reference Group
Government and non-government schools
Teachers and parents
Business and community

According to his newsletter he was asked to develop a programme

Susan: You’ve also been working at the other end of the age scale – teaching school kids?

Scott: This is one of my real passions – financial literacy for young people. ASIC (the Australian Securities and Investments Commission) asked me to develop a program for schools, called MoneySmart Teaching. It’s now up and running.

Susan: How does it work?

Scott: The trick is, finance shouldn’t be taught once a week in a specific class – it needs to be integrated into the curriculum. So MoneySmart is taught as part of English, history, science, maths – that way kids get to learn about finance without really realising it – they just ‘get it’. But we’ve taken it one step further by educating teachers about money as well. For it to work, teachers need to feel confident about managing their money so they can share it with the kids.

Broadly speaking, I think he makes a lot of sense. However, he has some very specific ideas that would help 'the great unwashed' but would be a detriment to someone actually wanting to improve their financial intelligence.

Junior is a 9yr old "Cashflow" addict - the adult version - and has even started teaching it to her friends.

Can't say it's made her wiser on how she spends/saves her pocket money ... but teaching kids how money works can only be a plus. Last weeks' homework was "buying" cars on carsales.com with imaginary money - it's great to see what they learn in school being put to use with real life examples.

Back