secrecy

Originally posted by Sim

Do you want the gurus to hold your hanky while you blow your nose too ?

Or do you just want me to tell the whole world about the latest deal that I am negotiating on before I complete the deal ?

What is it you actually want ?

Do you want the passwords to my online banking accounts so you can see how I've structured things ? What's more, do you want me to post that information on the forum so that everyone can "learn" from that knowledge ? How much is enough for you ?

he he

Hi Sim

I think there has been a misunderstanding here.

In the original post all brains was asking about is why there is so much secrecy in fellow forumites disclosing where their current IP's are located i.e already purchased location, area, possibly suburb

He was not asking about IP's which the forumites are in the process of, or are thinking about purchasing. I would certainly not disclose that info if I was still in negotiations. Nor was he asking how the forumites have structured things.

But if you ask me where my current IP's are I will tell u.

Then again that's up to the individual.

Regards

I bought a flat 5 years ago close to the Perth CBD for some of the following reasons:

Close to nightclubs (cabs are cheap home)
Close to cafes (love a coffee and a chat)
Close to the city (shopping is easy)
Close to my work (hate travelling more than 15 minutes to work)
Close to a beautiful lake (love running - this is a great place for it)
Close to gym (200m walk is a good warm up)
Clost to pool (Perth summers are hot!)
Close to 2 Tafe campuses

It seemed (and was/still is) so good, I bought the place next door

If you look at any city in the world and look for features in a suburb/property that make it a spot nice to LIVE rather than thinking just of a nice place to INVEST, you will have no problems renting your property....people live in properties - not lifeless rent cheques.

I am not setting the world on fire, but have met my goals for the last 3 years now and intend meeting next year's by September 03.

Glenn

Sim,

No need to get excited mate, we are not "frustrated folks" and i dont want (or need) your bank account details and/or your IP details.

You have already made your position clear on your privacy and thats cool, thats your thing, but not everyones.

I was just wondering why there is so much secrecy and paranoia on the forum.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone and i hope we get some more points of view.

btw...i havnt seen one valid reason for the secrecy and paranoia yet;)

Originally posted by brains
btw...i havnt seen one valid reason for the secrecy and paranoia yet

Have you ever been stalked, embezzled, attacked or hacked ?

It is an unfortunate truth that there are people in the world who resent others who have been successful with their investments and have become financially independent. I know several people who have been put in very difficult and frightening situations because of their financial position.

The only real way to protect yourselves is to be very very careful about the details you share in a public forum. In private, it is a totally different manner - but not in public.

In some cases - the paranoia is simply about protecting your own family !

Hi all,

One of the things I have found very profitable is to know specific areas and trends really well. An area may be 3 or 4 four adjoining suburbs. Invariably the prices in these suburbs will get out of sync and come back into balance over a 1 to 2 year period.

I'll use a specific example in Canberra, the suburbs are Garran, Hughes and Deakin. These suburbs are adjacent all are considered 'inner south' and over time maintain parity pricing.

In the last 4 property cycles have always Deakin and Garran boomed first with Hughes following on about a year latter. Saw it again in this cycle where the 3 bedroom BV home in Hughes went from 220k to 380k. Last cycle it went from 120k to 200k. If you put in sweat equity (aka reno) $180k to $420k was possible ;)

So the question is; knowing this what would you do? Of the 5 or 6 people(would be property investors) I told about this 2.5 years ago not a single one acted on the info. Each could have bought 2 or 3 houses and each would be about $500k + better off without it costing them a brass razoo.

There are examples like this for every capital city only the numbers change. Just ask the area agent where she thinks the undervalued suburb is and why. Check out her reasoning, look at the historical evidence, compare with current trends and make up your own mind.

And Brains congrats on getting rid of the BMW it was only a means of getting from A to B. As for the watch, it is but a tool which tells time. Before you get defensive I confess to having owned many expensive toys over the years - If you think cars consume money, try competitive long distance ocean racing as a hobby!

regards, MC

Michael,

To you a watch is a thing that tells time and a car is a thing that gets from A to B. Thanks for that insight into your personality.

To me (and millions of others) a nice expensive watch or car is a beautifuil piece of european engineering, and a reward for years of hard work. And i happen to be a incurable car nut.

I intitially disagreed but Im starting to agree with bbruham re his post about miserable, tight people.

I have an (ex) friend who has a lot of money, the more money he made the tighter he got (in personality as well as financially), watching his bank balance rise and his friends and associates shrink was a fascinating experience. There's no great skill in getting rich by using tea bags 3 times over or having to go home every time its your shout at the pub....

Well, thats not me, my way is if i want to spend more money i just have to get out there and make more money.

And Sim, while i accept what youre saying and its an unfortunate fact of life i dont mind helping people if i can without the thought of being stalked or whatever in the back of my mind.

Sim
Online bank account password....thanks.
er.. sorry I seem to have misplaced your account number, could I have that to please? :D

bye

Hi Brains and I'm sorry to upset your preconceptions.

I'm far from miserable and actually very happy with my life and could die tommorrow without regrets even though there is so much to live for.

As for being a car nut - been there done that. I have owned and enjoyed over 50 cars in my 25 years of driving - mostly European, fast and well engineered. I also raced and rallied cars in my extreme youth so I do appreciate a well engineer machine. I earn't the money for my first watch, an Omega Seamaster 300, in 1969 age 11 and I was very proud of it too.

Tight? Money is not important to me and never has been and that's why it's so easy to make and give away. Every year I donate hundreds of hours to non profit/charity orgs and money that most consider significant.

The fact that you confuse material possessions/money with happiness/success is not surprising given the culture in which we live. However it is the journey that is the reward not the toy at the end.

regards, MC

Originally posted by brains
And Sim, while i accept what youre saying and its an unfortunate fact of life i dont mind helping people if i can without the thought of being stalked or whatever in the back of my mind.

So that gets back to my actual question in my post - what information do you actually want ? How much is enough ? (and hence my sarcastic comment about the PIN numbers).

There are lots of people who post regularly on this forum offering all kinds of help and information. Yet people are still upset that not enough information is given !

I get the feeling that some people belittle the contributions of others - those who are "just miserable shytes" and those who supposedly keep "all their information secret".

So I ask yet again - what information do you actually want and how much is enough ? Give me details please.

Guys,

I feel like I'm in the schoolyard watching the seniors square off!

So lets just have a little fun.

BTW EVERYONE knows the best engineered cars are the ones produced in AUS (ever heard of a Kingswood )

Davids:D :cool:

"As for being a car nut - been there done that. I have owned and enjoyed over 50 cars in my 25 years of driving - mostly European, fast and well engineered. I also raced and rallied cars in my extreme youth so I do appreciate a well engineer machine. I earn't the money for my first watch, an Omega Seamaster 300, in 1969 age 11 and I was very proud of it too."

Funny how you mention all this only after my post, i thought a car to you was to get from A to B and a watch a thing only to tell time.

"The fact that you confuse material possessions/money with happiness/success is not surprising given the culture in which we live. However it is the journey that is the reward not the toy at the end."

For you maybe Michael, its not everyones reality.

Sim,

Its not content im after, its context:)

Any intelligent person using these forums should firstly learn that *advice* given on these forums is caveat emptor.

In that capacity, whilst I have strong respect for everyone on these forums who presently hold IPs (I don't, yet), I still realise that my own due diligence is necessary, even if someone makes a recommendation on an area.

I think some people may choose not to disclose details of their IPs for fear of it being seen as boasting.

bbruham: your comment of "miserable shytes" is simply beligerent and does nothing to promote well-mannered discussion on this forum.

brains: you and Michael Croft seem to have opposite views on how you should each display or wear your wealth. I think you have said "each to their own" several times, but then you seem to keep casting subtle denigrations at MC.

sim: I understand your sentiment, but things like financial deception and embezzlement are more likely to be committed by person's known to you (in positions of trust) than not. Like your account or solicitor.

I think the nature of the forum is such that it's unlikely too much information ever comes out anyway. If someone has 50 IP's, I doubt they're gonna write a list of every property and its street address and post it to the forum. They might say "I invest predominantly in suburbs X/Y/Z, occasionally in A/B/C".

Is that really "giving too much away"?

Is telling someone that you structure your finances using a LOC secured against your IP's giving too much away?

Just say what you feel comfortable saying...

Now, where did Paul Clitheroe say the best place to buy was :) ??? (or did he pick the Sydney Botanic Gardens like Jan).

Apologises to all,

I agree with Davids's comments this does seem to have degenerated into a school yard 'mine is bigger than yours' discussion therefore I shall bow out.

take care, MC

Originally posted by Kevmeister

Just say what you feel comfortable saying...

thats my opinion as well, I still dont know why this debate is going on - everyone should just get on with things and post as little or as much detail as they want :rolleyes:

Hi everybody

Brains I think you are being a bit unfair to Michael. I understand what MC is saying. He has reached a level in his life where expensive material possessions don't appeal anymore. Only the fact that he could have pretty much anything he desires is enough to satisfy him.
I have not reached that level in my life yet as I too am a car nut (12sec quater miles etc etc) however since the birth of my baby girl and since settling down abit material possessions are becoming less and less important to me as well.

By the way I haven't worn a watch for 3 years now. Everywhere I go there seems to be a clock in front of me. Most of the "times" I don't even want to know what time it is.:cool: :cool:

Regards

I dont by any stretch of the imagination mean you HAVE to stop - if you feel the discussion is worthwhile then by all means continue

(just to clarify my last post)

PS this forum has the largest number personal attacks Ive ever come across (it seems ppl think they need to justify everything that they do/or have done/or have/will become, perhaps some insecurity here ?)

just relax ppl - I thought this forum was about sharing information about property investment rather than how successful you have been doing it.

Its my understanding that this forum is designed to help and educate others in the property investement game.
Therefore why not share specifics in regards to where and why to buy.:)

Personally, I think it's up to the individual how much information they give out.

It is a privilege to read the stories and receive advice from experienced investors & related professionals. It is NOT a right.

Remember also that this is a public forum. It is possible for non-investors to review the posts and potentially possible for criminals to work out where individuals live & how wealthy they are...under these conditions it is only right to be careful about the information anyone provides on this forum.

If you feel that more experienced people, who freely give their time to answer questions on this forum for no material return, are holding out on you, then go somewhere else.

Or alternatively, pay to attend a seminar where a speaker reveals all about their investment strategies and how they applied them. At least here the speaker is rewarded for their time.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back