See Change and Richard Feynman . let's hype the sydney market thread .

This is nuts. You can squeeze into a small, but decent terrace in Paddo/Wollahra for $1.5m, or a nice house in the Inner West. Got to be some development angle to it otherwise all this is gonna end badly for some punters. But seeing I'm heavily exposed to the Sydney market, can't say I'm unhappy bout all of this.

Same here. Unsure if I should be happy or worried.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-mount+druitt-119484303

500sqm, clad home in Mount Druitt
$505k purchase, rent of $400pw (potentially).
4.11% rental yield...

What are people thinking?!

Edit...

Now look at this, 395k apartments sold in Mount Druitt and Toongabbie. This makes the Toongabbie purchase look much better:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-toongabbie-105944555
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-mount+druitt-119501383

Ms Ali

Can't be bothered searching to find a link , but I' m fairly certain I was tipping around 480 - 500 for Mt Druitt , though that one has granny flat potential .

Where will it end ? time will tell:rolleyes: With possible future rate cuts , it may even get sillier .

I remember chatting to a Newbie back in the early 2000's ( ? 2003 ) at a Freestyler Meeting and they were really happy they'd bought in Mt Druitt for around 220 - 240 ( can't remember exact price ) . They were really happy about future growth . Well that future growth took around ten years to eventuate . Not my style of investing.

I think we're getting to a similar situation now .

Cliff

see_change said:
I remember chatting to a Newbie back in the early 2000's ( ? 2003 ) at a Freestyler Meeting and they were really happy they'd bought in Mt Druitt for around 220 - 240 ( can't remember exact price ) . They were really happy about future growth . Well that future growth took around ten years to eventuate . Not my style of investing.
Cliff

In year 2000, you could get a 1000 sqm lot in Mounty for $135k-145k. Today each is worth $750k. That is 400% growth in 15 years. Not bad?

Further if anyone bought even 5 of these ~750k. These would be worth 3.75mill.

Also to add, spoke with an agent contact in Penrith region today. He said he has never seen this before.In his view the 2002 boom wasn't like this either. ...

Wow. They must want to re-develop! Not sure if 14.8m frontage is sufficient for duplex in the area!

And people are complaining Hills being too expensive ....

I personally prefer this location over Hills. Close to train & Parramatta....

Could it be, these buyers are the ones spilling over from Hills because it's more 'affordable' than the Hills area?

Wow. They must want to re-develop! Not sure if 14.8m frontage is sufficient for duplex in the area!

Could it be, these buyers are the ones spilling over from Hills because it's more 'affordable' than the Hills area?

It s 15.28 frontage...enough for duplex (1st link)

Will they make money developing it.....may be not.

600k for land
300k build
50k extra
950k total cost for each duplex

What they hoping to get?

The Pendle Hill auction we attended today...Got to the auction 10 minutes late. The agent's assistant who must have been in her late 40's said to us.....the bid is at $850k and 'in times like these, what will you young people do'..This left monalisa and I a bit gobsmacked, but we weren't complaining :)

It s 15.28 frontage...enough for duplex (1st link)

Will they make money developing it.....may be not.

600k for land
300k build
50k extra
950k total cost for each duplex

What they hoping to get?

As per pricefinder the frontage is 14.8m (Wentworthville). So not sure how they are advertising it as 15.24m frontage?

1.15mill is closing costs
+800k for build (could be more, given now a days a decent home costs 500k inc demolition etc)
---
1950k spend

end value 950k x 2 = 1900k

Definitely in loss. Likely banking on just capital growth.

Not sure why people build when they could have made more money not doing anything. There was an 800sqm lot in Toongabbie sold for 600k in July 2013. Sold for 755k with a DA in May 2014. The guy built duplexes. He could have just sat and sold for 900k+ at this rate.

Last edited:

With that price at Wentworthville, it is definitely not more affordable than Hills ..... Maybe they want to buy adjacent properties and build units.

Oh well someone is willing to pay that much. Good luck to them.

With that price at Wentworthville, it is definitely not more affordable than Hills ..... Maybe they want to buy adjacent properties and build units.

Oh well someone is willing to pay that much. Good luck to them.

But may be Seven Hills is still more affordable and hence the 781k?

Back