Selecting a builder in Perth

I am currently going through the process of selecting a builder to build a townhouse behind a house in Cloverdale. I have shortlisted Amano, Ventura-ID, JFK Construction and Danmar. From the emails and discussions I have had so far, they seem fine. I have also started inspecting the houses they have built in my area and checked for recent sales of their houses. Apart from talking to them and inspecting, I'm not really sure how to pick between them. If they all seem good, will build what I want within my budget and build quality homes that sell well, how am I supposed to pick between them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would also view these 2 builders developments below, and if you like what you see then ask for specifications, this is a start.
Thanks. I will check them out for sure. I guess I will get a better idea from walking through some finished houses.

I always try to keep it simple and just find out what people want and make sure you have this in your product. Some things are now pretty standard such as:

Stone bench tops
Higher ceilings - living areas/kitchen

I can not stress the importance of employing the right draftee/designer who can get the design right and maximise space etc.

I always try to keep it simple and just find out what people want and make sure you have this in your product. Some things are now pretty standard such as:

Stone bench tops

I can not stress the importance of employing the right draftee/designer who can get the design right and maximise space etc.

I have Promenade and Allure on my shortlist from a while back (have not checked them out yet). Would you still rate your current builder over these now that you have seen the quality, experienced the delays and the 20k price rise?

Stone bench tops
100%. I have been inspecting similar houses for rent/sale in the area to find out what gets a price premium.

Having inspected quite a few houses and townhouses in the area I can tell you that I have been uniformly unimpressed with the designs. I have only seen one that was acceptable. The rest have been very poor. Design is crucial.

I have Promenade and Allure on my shortlist from a while back (have not checked them out yet). Would you still rate your current builder over these now that you have seen the quality, experienced the delays and the 20k price rise?

I think they are good pretty good, builder provided extras and came in $15,000 cheaper, however I don't think it will be the case next time.

All these use the same draftee for design (Mark Anthony), I have seen his designs his very good. Jaylo used him for his Balga deve.

I am currently going through the process of selecting a builder to build a townhouse behind a house in Cloverdale. I have shortlisted Amano, Ventura-ID, JFK Construction and Danmar. From the emails and discussions I have had so far, they seem fine. I have also started inspecting the houses they have built in my area and checked for recent sales of their houses. Apart from talking to them and inspecting, I'm not really sure how to pick between them. If they all seem good, will build what I want within my budget and build quality homes that sell well, how am I supposed to pick between them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

One thing I would seriously look if selling - how the original home would impact on the new build at rear. Just need to make sure that this is OK in this area.

Some areas it is not and you pretty much have to sell the front property for peanuts, just something you need to consider especially now that the market is softening.

Also if the original/front is an ugly duckling this will also impact on new build/end value.

One thing I would seriously look if selling - how the original home would impact on the new build at rear. Just need to make sure that this is OK in this area.

Some areas it is not and you pretty much have to sell the front property for peanuts, just something you need to consider especially now that the market is softening.

Also if the original/front is an ugly duckling this will also impact on new build/end value.
These are to hold. There is room behind to build two townhouses. One will be built now. One a bit down the track and hold all three properties. Eventually, the front will go and be replaced as well. The problem is that the front is rented for $440 a week and rent for a brand new 4x2 is max $550. It is simply not worth bowling over the front at this point from a rent return point of view. Different story if selling.

These are to hold. There is room behind to build two townhouses. One will be built now. One a bit down the track and hold all three properties. Eventually, the front will go and be replaced as well. The problem is that the front is rented for $440 a week and rent for a brand new 4x2 is max $550. It is simply not worth bowling over the front at this point from a rent return point of view. Different story if selling.

Sounds like you have a cash cow scenario, do they have to be townhouses?? or can you go villas??? don't know anything about council etc for Cloverdale

Sounds like you have a cash cow scenario, do they have to be townhouses?? or can you go villas??? don't know anything about council etc for Cloverdale
You are right I am sitting on a potential cash cow if I can swing the development. The block is split coded R20/40, so there are 'special' scheme provisions that apply if I want to above R30, which I do. First cab off the rank is that the front house must be worthy of retention, which is up to council to decide. So I'm crossing my fingers on that one. Next is that the next house I build must be two storey. Technically, the one after that could be single, but the land is pretty tight and the design for a 4x2 would be compromised. I could go 3x2 for the middle but they are a dime a dozen in the area and lots of competition to find tenants. I really want to maximise the site and three two storey townhouses is the best way to do that.

You are right I am sitting on a potential cash cow if I can swing the development. The block is split coded R20/40, so there are 'special' scheme provisions that apply if I want to above R30, which I do. First cab off the rank is that the front house must be worthy of retention, which is up to council to decide. So I'm crossing my fingers on that one. Next is that the next house I build must be two storey. Technically, the one after that could be single, but the land is pretty tight and the design for a 4x2 would be compromised. I could go 3x2 for the middle but they are a dime a dozen in the area and lots of competition to find tenants. I really want to maximise the site and three two storey townhouses is the best way to do that.

PG: my deve in cloverdale is well underway with ventura id, if you want to get an idea on their quality pm me and ill give you the addy to keep an eye on progress and quality to see if you want to use them.

Also youl be able to see the upgrades on the retained dwelling to meet the councils requirements.

Although not two story, it should give you a hands on view.

PG: my deve in cloverdale is well underway with ventura id, if you want to get an idea on their quality pm me and ill give you the addy to keep an eye on progress and quality to see if you want to use them.

Also youl be able to see the upgrades on the retained dwelling to meet the councils requirements.

Although not two story, it should give you a hands on view.
Sure, that would be great! I'm not bothered by it being single storey, I know Ventura-ID do a lot of two storey.

Myself and my investment partner interviewed some great builders and finally decided on Danmer. Now some the other builders want to know why they were not selected. I am very unsure of how to respond.

Myself and my investment partner interviewed some great builders and finally decided on Danmer. Now some the other builders want to know why they were not selected. I am very unsure of how to respond.

Be honest and offer fair feedback if you believe they genuinely want to know.

Were the other builders competitive on pricing based in your specs?
All seemed on a par in terms of price. Price wasn't much of a factor. We were looking for a company that is happy to build with the material we select and willing to work with us. Having a very talented designer was what got the selected company over the line.

It's hard to be honest?
why DID you select Danmar?
Was it price? gut feeling? you preferred their designs? their salesman was better than the others? shouldn't be too hard to give some constructive feedback to them, that's all they are after.

Back