Perth builder differences

Hi everyone,

Anyone have any thoughts of differences between Perth builders. Summit vs Plunkett vs Aveling vs Commodore homes for example?

Does the build quality of these build really justify a large difference in price or is more for the name?

Cheers!

Am in middle if this process right now. Agree with MTR in both what is/isn't included in their spec PLUS what quality/building material is quoted (and don't just focus on what kitchen appliance package they offer, try and get detail on as much as you can about they entire construction).

Dex2
Have you thought of the option of using a designer/draftee therefore you own the drawings/plan and then you can shop it around with all the major players and smaller builders to get the best price and quality.

Draw up a spread sheet detailing what specifications each builder is including and their price. This changes on a monthly basis depending on what promotions they are running. Also you should be able to negotiate some extra's especially if you tell them that you are comparing them to other builders before choosing. In relation to build quality it depends home good your site supervisor and trades are. It is the luck of the draw and unfortunately the price you are paying has nothing to do with it. Something you also need to ask them is their average build time from contract signing. There are some builders in Perth who are taking a lot longer than others so holding costs have to be included in the equation.

We have a design that we like and have gone to a few builders. Summit, Plunkett and aveling, however Plunkett seems to have a huge difference in pricing about 30k from my untrained eye and when I did go see the sale consultant he was just making a lot of excuses yet the designs between the builders are very minimal.

We do prefer the plunkett design the best and basically got a near copy design with aveling for 50k less! Dad is rather against going with aveling because he says that they are less reputable and quality isn't as good. However for a 50k price difference between project home builders, how much of a difference in build quality could that be? (we intend to sell the home once built)

Could you recommend any small builders MTR?
And thanks for the idea of using a designer, I think that will save a lot of time next round.

will pm you
in saying get a draftee/designer to draw up plans, you need someone who is very good.

I notice my draftee left so much out that I could have been up for a fortune, as everything is quoted as per plan. Not just about the right design

We have a design that we like and have gone to a few builders. Summit, Plunkett and aveling, however Plunkett seems to have a huge difference in pricing about 30k from my untrained eye and when I did go see the sale consultant he was just making a lot of excuses yet the designs between the builders are very minimal.

We do prefer the plunkett design the best and basically got a near copy design with aveling for 50k less! Dad is rather against going with aveling because he says that they are less reputable and quality isn't as good. However for a 50k price difference between project home builders, how much of a difference in build quality could that be? (we intend to sell the home once built)

Could you recommend any small builders MTR?
And thanks for the idea of using a designer, I think that will save a lot of time next round.

A lot of little things can add up and also they way that they show pricing can be a little complicated but once you find out exactly what is included then it's a little easier to compare.

For example if you are getting the property turnkey and they have tiling included in that package what is the tiling allowance per sqm AND what size tile. Some will say $40sqm but only 300 x 300 non rectified tiles as these are the cheapest to lay. Some will say $40sqm but you are allowed up to 600 x 600 rectified tiles to be laid. That is a huge difference as the larger tiles are harder to lay and rectified harder again on top of that.

The cheaper the builder is the little things that fall off - WIR with no door, 28 course ceilings, steel cabinet trough not bench and inset trough, all cupboards in kitchens with no drawers, no overhead cupboards in kitchen, cheap and nasty exhaust fans, single power points, simple bayonet lights etcetcetc

That's exactly right its those little items that can make a huge difference IMO.

I can see quality in my villas that I don't see with regular builds same product, the extas such as - down lights, superior lighting, gas bayonets, higher ceilings, 600 x 600 tiles no extra cost, full length tiling, overhead cupboards in kitchens and laundries, jazz cornices throughout. These are the items that just makes a huge difference and I also expect the end value.

In other words need to weigh up everything, if you have to spend an extra $10K per villa but you make $30K more each villa I know which way I would go.

Regarding Aveling being established, Mark Aveling is ex Zorzi...

He would know how to build quality.

As mentioned, it is all the little things. Soft close cabinets, overheads, 900mm appliances, glass splashback in lieu of tiled (to underside of overheads), full height larger tiles, stone to wet area benchtops, nicer cornice (symphony/jazz), double entry door, tbar with brickwork over garage door instead of pelmet, 31c to living areas (if not whole house). And so on...

As mentioned above, there are a lot of differences in the quality of inclusions to be aware of:
- height of ceilings
- type of facebrick or render
- laminex benchtops vs stone
- quality of tapware
- quality of kitchen appliances (oven, stove, rangehood etc)
- overhead vs no overhead kitchen cupboards
- lighting
- ceramic vs acrylic basins in bathrooms
- dropped ceiling to kitchen
and many others. I did a google search for standard inclusions, and found this list to give you an idea:
http://www.impressions.net.au/images/stories/Master_Series_Specification_December_2014.pdf

For example, stone benchtops might be standard with one builder but might be an upgrade with another builder. I hope this helps.

I think my issue is that I don't know the quality of some brands that are included. Thanks everyone, looks like I'll have to study the specifications a bit more.

I think my issue is that I don't know the quality of some brands that are included. Thanks everyone, looks like I'll have to study the specifications a bit more.

Visit the displays and ask what is included in your specifications. Then you can look at the products. In this respect I like Celebration Homes because what you see in their displays is what you get. I have built 7 brand new houses in the last 10 years and only used the same builder once. That is because they are always changing what they offer and their pricing in compared to the competition. I find that using cheaper builders such as Homebuyers and Aussie Living and then paying to increase the specifications is a lot cheaper than building with their more expensive related companies which are Dale Alcock in relation to Homebuyers and Ventura in relation to Aussie Living, and they use the same trades people. The house I have made the most money on was built by Homestart and the best quality build I have had was Homebuyers (only 1 thing to be fixed at practical completion). I have just signed for another house this month with Commodore Homes. I have never built with them before, but what they offered me was hard to beat, especially as the pricing was the same as their rivals without the inclusions they offered me. The upgrades they have offered are upgraded property elevation, high ceilings in all living areas, stone benchtops in kitchen and both bathrooms, 900mm appliances, reverse cycle air conditioning, 3kw solar, gas boosted solar hot water, upgrade to double sinks in ensuite and final cherry on the cake was 5k off the house price. I had done enough home work to know this was a great deal. Total build price (including site costs) was $183,000 and I have allowed $2,000 for pre start. House size is 210 square metres. Just a word of warning, some builders offer 30k of inclusions free of charge but when you check against the competition, you are well and truly paying for these. To me it takes a lot of homework to be comfortable with your choice and I treat it like I am operating my own business.

Visit the displays and ask what is included in your specifications. Then you can look at the products. In this respect I like Celebration Homes because what you see in their displays is what you get. I have built 7 brand new houses in the last 10 years and only used the same builder once. That is because they are always changing what they offer and their pricing in compared to the competition. I find that using cheaper builders such as Homebuyers and Aussie Living and then paying to increase the specifications is a lot cheaper than building with their more expensive related companies which are Dale Alcock in relation to Homebuyers and Ventura in relation to Aussie Living, and they use the same trades people. The house I have made the most money on was built by Homestart and the best quality build I have had was Homebuyers (only 1 thing to be fixed at practical completion). I have just signed for another house this month with Commodore Homes. I have never built with them before, but what they offered me was hard to beat, especially as the pricing was the same as their rivals without the inclusions they offered me. The upgrades they have offered are upgraded property elevation, high ceilings in all living areas, stone benchtops in kitchen and both bathrooms, 900mm appliances, reverse cycle air conditioning, 3kw solar, gas boosted solar hot water, upgrade to double sinks in ensuite and final cherry on the cake was 5k off the house price. I had done enough home work to know this was a great deal. Total build price (including site costs) was $183,000 and I have allowed $2,000 for pre start. House size is 210 square metres. Just a word of warning, some builders offer 30k of inclusions free of charge but when you check against the competition, you are well and truly paying for these. To me it takes a lot of homework to be comfortable with your choice and I treat it like I am operating my own business.

Wow thank you for the advice! Will try it next time around.

Because it is my dad who ultimately decides we have just signed up with Summit homes for a 190sqm narrow lot home today for $223k.

My dad has a strong stigma that commodore, aveling etc are less superior builders and quality etc would not compare with Summit or Plunkett. The house is also in a nice suburb therefore he doesn't mind spending a premium for a slight better project home builder(?) I now the other hand have no qualms with the cheaper builders :)

Wow thank you for the advice! Will try it next time around.

Because it is my dad who ultimately decides we have just signed up with Summit homes for a 190sqm narrow lot home today for $223k.

My dad has a strong stigma that commodore, aveling etc are less superior builders and quality etc would not compare with Summit or Plunkett. The house is also in a nice suburb therefore he doesn't mind spending a premium for a slight better project home builder(?) I now the other hand have no qualms with the cheaper builders :)
http://www.productreview.com.au/c/home-builders-wa.html?sort=item_rank&sort_type=desc

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/summit-homes.html
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/plunkett-homes.html
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/aveling-homes.html
Latest post on the Summit one is worrying. But you hear many stories across perth, across most builders about lack of brickies.

I find that people who write reviews are invariably the unhappy ones. People that have an average normal experience post nothing and even people that have a fantastic service tend to be slack about reviewing.

I find that people who write reviews are invariably the unhappy ones. People that have an average normal experience post nothing and even people that have a fantastic service tend to be slack about reviewing.

I agree, if you read the product reviews on builders you would never build with anyone.

Exactly.

If you are content with a product, you are busy enjoying it. People upset at something find any outlet they can to vent (welcome to the room, internet).

I found my current employer on there, we rate well ;)

Back