Perth builder differences

Hi everyone, you really need to be wary in the current market of WA project builders with regards to timeframes. I know for a fact builders in the BGC group, including Commodore, are taking 18 months to build on a titled Lot including Pre-Construction and construction timeframes.

For all the money you save upfront, you then forfeit in holding costs/lack of rent. Not to mention they are cheap because they use their own products - window frames, bricks, appliances etc. I don't mean to sound blanket generic, I'm sure they'll build a good home, but 18-24 months for a single dwelling is just too long in my opinion. I do hope they buck the trend for you though SunnyBill!

You wouldn't happen to work for the competition would you!!. I think full disclosure is required of who you work for and what your role is. My guess is ABN Group who are in hot competition with the BGC Group. I have seen the construction timeframes for Commodore and at the moment the average is 11 months. They have told me to add 3 months on to this. So the average 18-24 months you are talking about is frankly a load of rubbish. I have built with the ABN Group (Homebuyers/Celebration) in the past and have been happy it just so happens BGC (Commodore) have the best deals at the moment.

Well SunnyB has signed a contract so hopefully we will get updates/progress on the build with Commodore. I must admit it sounds very attractive indeed.

MTR:)

Yes agreed, it would be great to get updates Sunnybill and I do hope for your own sake they have sorted themselves out by the time they start building for you. I can't wait to start doing villas/apartments - hoping to make some CG from these single dwellings which will allow me to do so fingers crossed :)

I have seen the construction timeframes for Commodore and at the moment the average is 11 months. They have told me to add 3 months on to this.

anything beyond a year would blend into a long and painful experience. 14 months... hard to conceive how they could go so slow. amazing

Bomber
I have not signed anything with anyone at this point in time.

I may not even build, I have one unconditional contract on a block and waiting for the other to go unconditional, am just covering my bases that's all.

Can you clarify?? have you used Commodore with a recent build or someone you know who has had a bad experience with blow out on timeframe??

THnaks

MTR:)

Hi Sunnybill, yes I work in construction industry and have workED for both said companies so I know better than most how each operates and what's involved. Due to my conflict of interest I do usually try and bite my tongue in threads like this but as this is about "differences between builders", I wanted to highlight the importance of timeframes in the current market. Some builders are genuinely taking twice as long as other builders to construct homes. It's fact. This will obviously change once the industry slows, which I agree with MTR probably won't happen for another 12 months due to the backlog of jobs.

And as a side note, one of my friends signed a prelim contract with commodore in May 2014, it titled in August that year, he didn't get actual building contracts until November 14. They then said 12 months until keys, so he pulled out before signing contracts and put the block on the market. Lucky for him the land in Wellard had gone up $30k so still made money.

it titled in August that year, he didn't get actual building contracts until November 14.

for me this is the most frustrating thing, the design / contracts departments in these places are worse than 1970's public service. how the likes of abn have done so fantastically well and amassed such a fortune is a mystery

When considering different builders, investigate who they use and for what also with regards to fixtures and fittings etc

Less than impressed with Jason Windows on a number of items/issues from doors to windows

When considering different builders, investigate who they use and for what also with regards to fixtures and fittings etc

Less than impressed with Jason Windows on a number of items/issues from doors to windows

Any brand you'd rather?
I've had some issues with Jason sliding doors on the last built.

You wouldn't happen to work for the competition would you!!. I think full disclosure is required of who you work for and what your role is. My guess is ABN Group who are in hot competition with the BGC Group. I have seen the construction timeframes for Commodore and at the moment the average is 11 months. They have told me to add 3 months on to this. So the average 18-24 months you are talking about is frankly a load of rubbish. I have built with the ABN Group (Homebuyers/Celebration) in the past and have been happy it just so happens BGC (Commodore) have the best deals at the moment.

14 months is still pathetic for a solitary single storey home on a small block though

I was interested to see a QLD company has set up a branch here - Thompsons Sustainable Homes.

They are doing framed housing with a 16 week construction guarantee (noice!). Looks like they have quite a few H&L packages going and their designs aren't bad - the elevations are a little eastern states though :)

http://wa.thompsonsustainablehomes.com.au/
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-brabham-118754047?listingType=buy

That's great. I guess we will see more companies expanding to Perth from over East. It's happening quite a bit in husbands industry also.

Looks like they have quite a few H&L packages going and their designs aren't bad - the elevations are a little eastern states though :)

Surely im not the only Perthian that prefers eastern states elevations? Every time I'm in melbourne I'm envious of the streetscapes they have there.

Surely im not the only Perthian that prefers eastern states elevations? Every time I'm in melbourne I'm envious of the streetscapes they have there.

I like quite a few of them. I found this one to be quite different to Perth norm but it would probably suit an older suburb where there is some semi heritage features

main.jpg

I agree you with you on that. I do like some of the more traditional styles as all I see in Perth is very similar villa styles (that's what im currently looking at).

I was interested to see a QLD company has set up a branch here - Thompsons Sustainable Homes.

They are doing framed housing with a 16 week construction guarantee (noice!). Looks like they have quite a few H&L packages going and their designs aren't bad - the elevations are a little eastern states though :)

http://wa.thompsonsustainablehomes.com.au/
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-brabham-118754047?listingType=buy

I love this. Hopefully we see more companies doing the same so that the Perth "must-have" double brick mindset will change!

Max build time for a single story project build should be 6-7 months after slab is down, anymore should be unacceptable.

Back