Selling photos

This is for beginers...Stop digging!
What more do you want for $1 website with a free hosting service No Ad...You want everything for nothing??

I want it to be able to serve it's purpose. Having a 15MB storage limit and 100MB download limit clearly won't serve it's purpose in this case since it will not fit many photos.

While the hosting you suggest is good for people who just want a simple homepage, it's not enough for something like Stella wants.

And again, why pay anything if you can get something for free, with a lot more traffic, and much better functionality?

I want it to be able to serve it's purpose. Having a 15MB storage limit and 100MB download limit clearly won't serve it's purpose in this case since it will not fit many photos.

While the hosting you suggest is good for people who just want a simple homepage, it's not enough for something like Stella wants.

And again, why pay anything if you can get something for free, with a lot more traffic, and much better functionality?

Hi Strannik

OK...You are 100% right!

Sorry:confused:

G'night!
Dennis

I have just joined Boundless Gallery in the US. It is a $60 gamble for me, but they give a free 7 day trial.

I have no connection with this gallery, but did a google search "selling art in the US" and this was one of the first ones that came up. I looked around and it sells photos as well as other art on behalf of the artist. My art is not yet up as I have only set it up over the weekend, so I have no idea how many people will find me as yet.

I have set my own price (started high, I can always come down). Two of its best selling artists are Australian.

There are three levels of plan to purchase. I bought the cheapest which was $60 for twelve months and I hand over 10% of any sales. There are two higher cost plans $120pa with 5% commission and $240pa with zero commission (from memory). They hold the payment until the recipient accepts the work, and then release it to the artist. It seems safe enough, but time will tell.

For me, 10% commission is around what I would pay to ebay, so I took the risk and have bought a twelve month plan. I will see what happens. Maybe take a look, or you may find a better "gallery" doing a search "selling photos to the US" or wherever. I chose "selling art to the US" because I have sold several pieces to the US already, and there is such a bigger buying base over there.

Don't know if this will be seen as advertising. Hope not. I don't have any idea whether this site will work for me yet, but I only have to sell one item to recoup my costs.

Cheers everyone - obviously there are many many ways of doing this!

I dont really want to get into setting up & running websites etc - I am after a more passive way of selling. I'm not out to make millions (although that would be nice:D) so I'm taking this very slowly to start.

I like Wylie's set up and will see if I can find similar in Aus too although this probably isn't mandatory. istockphoto will get a good look into too as a quick look seems interesting too.

I'm working on putting together a small portfolio of photos (with a watermark & maybe on a cd to toss around the office) & starting with my workmates - I figure the easiest victims should be people I know lol.

I have located a camera club on the Gold Coast & will meet with them as well as speaking to local camera stores to see what suggestions they have. I also need to learn about mounting (the photos - keep it clean:eek:) and possibly framing if this becomes financially worthwhile.

Best thing is I think I have justified to myself upgrading my camera - yahoo!

I'll keep you all updated & thanks again - never thought I'd relent & sell so here goes nothing!!

....now just need to come up with a name now too!

Cheers
Stella

What's wrong with Stella?;)

Um - Its a name my son created for me many years ago for something or other which has grown into a nameto hide behind on a few forums...suppose I could use it -maybe. Was thinking of something with a little more 'refined' tone to it?

Cheers
Stella

I have to make a living as a freelance photographer and to survive you really need to be aware of a) the different avenues to make money out of your images. And b) WHICH avenue to use to sell YOUR type of images.

The best way to look at it is that photography pays in two stages.

The first stage is the initial commissioned work, being paid once-off by a magazine, company or customer to do a shoot. This is "active income".

The second stage is where you keep copyright ownership of the images, and continue making money off your existing library of images. This is more passive income.

I like to think of it like that your images are forever income generating assets, if you do it right you can make every one of your existing images generate a bit of income for you. As you shoot more and add more to your library you eventually make a decent supplementary income out of it.

There are many avenues to sell your images passively (which IMO is the best way cause you don't have to do anything at all :D) but it all depends on the type of photography you do.

DON'T put your images up through ALL the different avenues, research and choose your selling outlets carefully and just focus on them. For example putting your images on stock libraries will nullify your ability to make money through licensing royalties. Why should big paying companies pay you thousands to use an image when they could get your same shot off a stock library for a fraction of the cost?

There are obvious things like selling prints through local retail stores and online. Putting them on a stock photo library is another avenue but you really need to be actively shooting things which work well for stock photography. Something which I don't do, none of my images would really work in a stock library. But there are shooters out there whos style fits stock libraries so well they make enormous money out of it.

There are less obvious avenues as well, you can put them on sites like DeviantArt.com and get 50% of the sales profits made through that site. Which would suit if your photography is REALLY great and people GLOBALLY would be willing to buy them.

What I do is license my images through international merchandising companies, all I do is sign a form to let them put my photos on posters and other merchandise, and I get a small percentage of the royalties. You can get really good supplementary income out of this (nearly HALF of my annual income comes from these royalties, where I do nothing but send them invoices!) but this is an especially niche area.

Whichever way you go it will ultimately depend on your style photography, personally I don't think going local is the way to go. Online is where you'll get the most sales but I wouldn't suggest ebay. I don't think ebay is a good way to link potential buyers to your work.

One thing you must do however - like everyones been saying.. is to build yourself a website. Make it clean but professional - nothing fancy and just let your images shine. My photography website is http://www.eastonchang.com/ but it's buggy and i'm looking at replacing it:D

You can make solid money out of great photographs, but you can make more if you know how and where to sell them, you can make even more still if you do this and go "niche". (i.e you specialize in landscape, cars or glamour photography, or pet/animal photography etc)

Thanks again for the detailed responses everyone!
Time to start doing some serious research I think - Ill let you know when the first $ale is made!

Cheers
Stella

Last edited:
Sat down and thought about it, and I'm surprised just how easy it is to watermark an image,
previewimage.php

<?php
header('content-type: image/jpeg');
$path = ' something ';// enter the path to your images, secured outside the html tree
$watermark = imagecreatefrompng('watermark.png'); //use your favorite paint program to make watermark.png
$watermark_width = imagesx($watermark);
$watermark_height = imagesy($watermark);
$image = imagecreatetruecolor($watermark_width, $watermark_height);
$image = imagecreatefromjpeg($path.$_GET['src']);
$size = getimagesize($_GET['src']);
$dest_x = $size[0] - $watermark_width - 5;
$dest_y = $size[1] - $watermark_height - 5;
imagecopymerge($image, $watermark, $dest_x, $dest_y, 0, 0, $watermark_width, $watermark_height, 100);
imagejpeg($image);
imagedestroy($image);
imagedestroy($watermark);
?>

usage

where picturename is the image name.
the location of the images is obscured, nobody sees php scripts,
and they are served watermarked with whatever 'watermark.png' is an image of,
could have written a text watermark with imagettftext,

The buy script could just serve the image without the watermark

<?php
header('content-type: image/jpeg');
$path = ;// enter the path to your images, secured outside the html tree
$image = imagecreatefromjpeg($path.$_GET['src']);
imagejpeg($image);
imagedestroy($image);
?>

and previewimage could downsize and downgrade the image below the quality of the final image

What fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Wylie I am fascinated to learn of this. I paint in oils on canvas, is this what you do, or watercolours? How will you ship them to US. Watch out for selling in cafes, I did years ago and got ripped off, they never ring you to say its sold and then say "the customer offered less so I took it" I said you had my number and should have rung me to get my permission to sell for less but what can you do. Always get them to sign a list of what you leave too. Some things just seem to disappear. Would love to hear from you about painting as I am missing my usual suspects having just shifted to the Gold Coast. I think you can email a personal as the others might be bored with us talking art instead of houses/interior design (my other love) .

Back