Selling the Businesses

Hi Geoff

Just wanted to add my best wishes, have enjoyed the updates over the years and wish you and yours all the best in this new chapter of your life's journey

haven't seen any subway sign updates for a while but enjoyed those witty one's I did see

..keep us posted ;)

Life is Short

Hiya

Many years ago, my husband had a safe (read: Boring) job...he was just turning up for work and getting good money and not motivated...poor chap!

Then during the dotcom exciting days, he got an offer to head up a start up; triple his salary; and % of the company but could be boom or bust.

He toyed for some time; i told him hey! life is short and you will always wonder "what if??" (we had 3 young kids then!)

He took up the challenge and boy! did he spring back to life....i wish this story had a happy ending but the dotcom era busted...

HOWEVER, one thing led to another and we subsequently ended up in Oz...we are now happier, wealthier (in all sense of the word...)

Did he ever regret that move?

YOU BET NOT! IF NOT HE WOULD STILL BE IN THAT BORING UNMOTIVATED DEAD END JOB!!!!!:p

Moral of story: Life is too short and precious to wonder about "What IFs!"
Never look back; look forward...:p

I'm about to leave a boring but safe job, which leaves me feeling empty, and move to a start up company that will either boom or not do to well.

So, putting some money into it and seeing how it goes.

It's the work I love doing with people I have worked with before and work well with.

I can't wait.

As my partner said - It's better to take a chance and do soemthing you enjoy than sit and stagnate.

Are you one of them Perchy coz I am recruiting right now (C# ASP.net).....
My apologies to Geoff for going off the thread 's subject.

haha never expected to get offered a job on SS! But no.. I got analyst skills in SAP (globally competitive..)

I do know of a C# ASP.net developer if you want to PM details.. (though not looking for a job)

Sorry Geoff for going off topic..

Thanks for all the positive comments and stories.

For those techo people. I was originially a mainframe Adabas/Natural programmer, spent several years on VB6/Oracle, then worked for a short time on C#. But my .NET skills are a bit limited, and I imagine the environment has changed somewhat. I've recently submitted a few resumes for the Adabas Natural but without the recent experience didn't get a shoe in.

One other benefit I've received from the experience. The IT job was very sedentary, and so was I. So for the last 7 years I've been physically quite active. I lost about 10kg- helped of course by healthy "eat fresh". (For a number of months at the start I hadn't used a knife or fork).

Wow! 7 years Geoff. :eek:

There is a "wall" you hit in small biz where you either move up to the boss's desk with trusted staff around you or you retire. I mentioned our local Maccas franchisee: He's still going strong and is now involved in politics.

But you have done well, Kudos to you.

Thommo.

Kudos to you Geoff. Those of us who run our own businesses know only too well of not only the hard work that goes into it, but the risks that you take in making it happen. Hard to believe it's been 7 years and it sounds like it was a worthwhile change for you. Enjoy your break - you certainly deserve it :D

My condolences and congratulations. One door closes and another one opens.

Came very close to throwing my lot in with a franchise system 4 years ago so have been following your tales with much interest and empathy over the past few years. I appreciate your 'tell it like it is' honesty and wry sense of humour.

Hi Geoff,

How did you go with your thre sale of your stores? Did Subway accept or reject the prospective purchasers? Hope all went well and there was no delays with settlement.
It seems like subway are more organized then the Franchise system I purchased into a few years ago.
It was a well name brand with over 300 stores. I lost well over 300k so was not a pleasant experience. I might start up a new thread and tell my experience with dealing with a Franchise.

Hope your sale went well.

It was a well name brand with over 300 stores. I lost well over 300k so was not a pleasant experience. I might start up a new thread and tell my experience with dealing with a Franchise.

Michels? I looked into one of those, but it's market was to limited - and it's locations weren't always the best - although I wish I'd bought the one at the Newcastle Uni!

Michels? I looked into one of those, but it's market was to limited - and it's locations weren't always the best - although I wish I'd bought the one at the Newcastle Uni!

hi lizzie, i wont mentioned any brand names in case people are assocciated with the franchisor, just about to put my thread up.

Hi Geoff,

Hope it gos well in the end.

I have enjoyed reading the various subway signs you had going at various times:)

F

As of today, I only have one Subway store. It's been a long haul.

The store with the signboard is still mine for now. The new owner has indicated he doesn't want to use the signboard :-(

Back