Setting up home Business

Hi all

My wife and I are currently looking at buying our PPOR, and she is a hair dresser with a dream of working from home. So my dilemma is to find a place that has potential to set up a small hair salon from the garage.

My questions are;

1. Is there any requirement (Zoning) in order to set up a home office? Or is it simply as applying with the council & hopefully the neighbor doesn?t complain. ? how do I find out if the house I?m about to buy fit the requirements

2. What are the council application fees etc.. with setting up hair salon from home.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

If you are in a residential zone you will most likely need a permit of some sort if you are going for a full business. If it's just some hobby on the side then who's going to know?

thank for the reply Aaron.

but we are looking at doing it on a long term basis, dont want to be shut down by council mid way. Looks like we have to get permits.

but dont know where to start.

Most councils have regulations regarding home businesses and signage. A hairdressing usage also comes under the eye of the health inspector as well.

It will pay to speak to the planning department at council before venturing down that path.

When we set up our B&B, the first thing we did was call the local Council and tell them what we wanted to do.

We then asked what requirements they needed for us to proceed.

Then you know exactly what the hoops are you have to jump through.

They were very helpful, gave us a list of the various changes we needed to make etc, and one of their employees came out to the house and went through it and set out the requirements etc.

You might not need to go to this extreme, but certainly the first step is the phone call.

Home business

Congrats on working towards you wife's dream!
I love hearing that!

A few things I would be looking for is to go the Council area you are seeking to buy and have a short meeting with them. ( what Bayview Said)

Ask what do I need for xxx hairdressing?

How many clients per day?
Would they take up parking spaces on the street?
(This is the one I think the neighbours might complain about...)
Or would you be able to accommodate them?
Ask your professional body ?Hairdressers Institute?( I dont know what they are called )
Ask What insurance do I need, and how can I comply with their requirements.
They will know what to do for home based Hairdressers.
Best wishes, its hard work starting up,
I hope this helps

Back