Small bathroom - ditch the bath?

Thanks. As with most renovations most the work (and time) is in the planning. However we did get alot of people ask where we were going to bath the baby - our response - what baby?

1yr on and the plan to move out and rent the property out, as we do after our renos, went out the window when the baby did actually turn up - for the record he is happy in the baby bath at the bottom of the shower or actually being bathed under the shower.

Jane

To be honest, when we had our first baby, we had a clawfoot bath, but hubby used to hand him in to me in the shower. I would hold him and wash him and hand him back. It wasn't until he was much older that he had any sort of regular bath, which he enjoyed. I used to put him in a baby bath sometimes, within our big bath, but often on the kitchen bench.

Bending over a bath (particularly a very deep clawfoot) is a killer for your back, so we showered our kids the majority of the time. They still enjoyed a bath, but I have always found it funny that some people INSIST on a bath.

Thanks. As with most renovations most the work (and time) is in the planning. However we did get alot of people ask where we were going to bath the baby - our response - what baby?

1yr on and the plan to move out and rent the property out, as we do after our renos, went out the window when the baby did actually turn up - for the record he is happy in the baby bath at the bottom of the shower or actually being bathed under the shower.

Jane

A double shower and you didn't expect a baby ??!;)

Save the bath!

I wouldn't be without my bath. I've lived in Rental then PPOR houses and units, all my life. For the past 7 years in a unit, there was only a nice big shower. Then moved into The Beach House a few months back....with a BATH!:)

I spent about 5 hours in the garden yesterday...got really dirty and a bit sore from wielding a spade. All I could think about was having a BATH!

Picture this:
Hot, sweaty, muddy, dirty, tired, sore muscles.
Nice hot bath with salt crystals and bubble bath.
Glass of champange and chocolates.
Phone to chat with the friends.

Twas awesome!

LONG LIVE THE BATH!:D

Yeah but only if it's proper size bath. There isn't much enjoyment when your ears are between your knees and half of the body sticks out of the water :p

Well we were unsure about our latest IP purchase due to the fact there was no bath in the house. In the ended we still purchased the place and desided we would install a half bath if need be (due to advice I received on here in another thread). We have just had the tenants move in and its a family with 3kids (something like 2, 5 and 7) which did surprize me but doesnt seem to bother them so who knows.

Cheers Jayro

As far as bathing your kids (toddlers) try the laundry tub- they love it and saves heaps on water. Water is a big issue; the days of a luxurious bath for one are over. Spas are an outrageous waste as well, and I struggle with the justification. Quick showers will become more and more the norm until grey water systems become mandatory in all new dwellings. My thoughs anyhow.

Spas are an outrageous waste as well, and I struggle with the justification.

buzz - that bathroom looks fantastic. i think the big difference is that all the utilities are on the one wall - to give a clean, long length of space to make it look bigger.

we've always had a bath - but when junior was younger, once she was to big for the baby bath, it was just as easy to hold her on my lap as i sat in the bottom of the shower to wash her, and it didn't matter if she piddled and pooped (as they do when submerged in water).

however, i do like my bath and in the current ppor we've installed a corner bath in the bathroom, with shower over, due to space contrictions ... and don't need a shower screen.

as a side question ... does anyone think spa baths are going to go out of fashion? i know several people who have them but never use them, and i couldn't imagine sitting i a bath with dozens of knobs and jets poking out at me (so we didn't install one).

I have always disliked spa baths because they somehow seem "tacky" to me. Not quite sure why though. I certainly think they would be sitting empty considering the water situation. My parents installed one about 20 years ago in their house, just a normal sized bath with jets. Probably used it a dozen times at most.

I could not justify filling up a bath any more with our water restrictions.

Good point GoAnna - now you point that out.

Just on another issue we added a beautiful new bathroom in a place that ended up being for uni student tenants. The extra long deep bath with the fancy middle plug hole and fancy nozzle was used to store the vaccuum last time I did a viewing. So much for the touch of luxury. We really did it for the valuer and that worked.

Jane

as a side question ... does anyone think spa baths are going to go out of fashion? i know several people who have them but never use them, and i couldn't imagine sitting i a bath with dozens of knobs and jets poking out at me (so we didn't install one).

we are just about to do a bathroom reno.. well 2 and a laundry in fact.

We had a quote last year and the guy suggested a spa bath. Both builders this year said that they ripped out more than they installed and didn't recommend getting one.
So, I think they are probably going out of fashion...
Pen

Currently renovating the bathroom now - big room, but limited water. Didnt want to ditch the bath because little people love baths.

Compromise? A 'dinky di' bath base. 900x900x400, if you do the math the diagonal is almost as long as a regular sized bath. It is the standard shower cubicle size, and is a great space saver. Bought it from one of those fancy plumbing shops that sells everything, they had some others that weren't quite as deep as this one as well.

Back