small bathroom ideas

Hi,
Our bathroom in the Granny Flat is 1.7m x 2.2m I think is quite small.
For floor tiles, is it more sensible to use mosaic or 300mm x 300mm tiles for efficient drainage purposes?
I actually prefer 600mm x 600mm ones but can it work in this small bathroom? Or would they look quite overwhelming?

Appreciate your feedback.

Actually from a design perspective (and 20 years interior design experience), a larger tile will give the illusion of a larger space. However, the tiles need to be in proportion to the room size for this principle to work.

For example: 600x600mm tiles work in a larger area (a lounge or something like that) but as you say would be too overwhelming in your small bathroom.

100mm-300mmsq tiles are a bit old hat and in my opinion mosaic tiles should be left for splash-backs and 'retro-style' bathrooms.

I would tend to go for a horizontal tile - say 200-250mm wide x 100-150mmH. Horizontal tiles will give the subtle effect of the room being larger/wider (just as if you fixed them vertically it would give the illusion of the ceiling being higher).

Another trick is to tile the walls in a gloss finish and then the floors in the same colour but in a matte finish so that you get a cocoon effect. This is a great way to blurr the lines of the room edges and makes it seem like the room is bigger than it really is.

Also, try a wall hung vanity (no kick-strip) and a large mirror set in to your wall tiles.

Ahhh... I could go on......

Hope those things help anyway.

More ideas for giving the illusion of a bigger bathroom

A couple more ideas for giving the illusion of a bigger bathroom... (even though this post didn't start off for this purpose - sorry jsoe!)...

Use spotlights to shine light on to the walls. This will help give the illusion that the walls are further away than they really are.

Use high gloss finishes wherever possible (not the floor!) as glossy finishes accentuate lightness. For example two items in the same colour - one matte and the other glossy - will look quite different next to each other. Glossy finishes reflect light and matte finishes absorb light.

Use frameless glass shower/bath screens. As I said in the previous post, the best way to give the illusion of a larger space is to blur the lines of things (a frameless glass screen works well because there is not a strong definition of where it starts and stops).

This is great thread!

Im needing to tile the bathroom of my granny flat too (its 2x3m) and I was initially looking at horizontal 300x600 tiles. I have high ceilings, so it would help. Now are you guys saying it would make the bathroom look smaller?

Id try go 600x600 for the lounge/dining.

This is one of my ensuites - it's 2300 x 1800 so pretty similar in size

Here is some photos of it

Attachments

• 51_ensuite.pdf
    559.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 212
I am a plumber and have seen quite a few problems with incorrect fall to the floor waste when large tiles are used on the floor. It is not nice seeing a puddle of water next to the floor waste or worse still water running past the floor waste and out the door.:eek:

Hi all,
wow thanks for the ideas guys, especially Jane.
Hi mike, here's the floor plan. The main house (3 bed, 1 bath) is on the left, and the proposed GF is on the right.
As you can see, we also have a very similar size and small bathroom in the main house so we're thinking of just cookie cutting it. Please note that the door is actually a sliding one so it saves space. But then again, we're not sure how having a shower over bathtub idea is nowadays... are they still hot or not?

Yes, I'd also like to know from the practicality point of view. I don't want a plumber to say it's impossible to set up a proper drainage with big tiles in my small bathroom. so, I'll stick to 300x300 or vertical tiles I guess.

Attachments

• floorplan.JPG
    floorplan.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 344
Actually from a design perspective (and 20 years interior design experience), a larger tile will give the illusion of a larger space. However, the tiles need to be in proportion to the room size for this principle to work.

For example: 600x600mm tiles work in a larger area (a lounge or something like that) but as you say would be too overwhelming in your small bathroom.

100mm-300mmsq tiles are a bit old hat and in my opinion mosaic tiles should be left for splash-backs and 'retro-style' bathrooms.

I would tend to go for a horizontal tile - say 200-250mm wide x 100-150mmH. Horizontal tiles will give the subtle effect of the room being larger/wider (just as if you fixed them vertically it would give the illusion of the ceiling being higher).

Another trick is to tile the walls in a gloss finish and then the floors in the same colour but in a matte finish so that you get a cocoon effect. This is a great way to blurr the lines of the room edges and makes it seem like the room is bigger than it really is.

Also, try a wall hung vanity (no kick-strip) and a large mirror set in to your wall tiles.

Ahhh... I could go on......

Hope those things help anyway.

I am designing the bathroom in my granny flat at the moment and have been thinking about using 300x 600 tiles horizontally up to a 2.7 m ceiling.

The size is 2x3m

Would you recccomend this or smaller sized tiles?

With the floor tiles, would you recommend I get square ones or rectangle tiles ?

I'll be aiming to go for a gloss white wall and either lighter matte white or light grey for the floor tiles to achieve the illusion of maximum space

demolishing external toilet

Great Idea, Menty. I like it.

By the way, we need to demolish this 4.2sqm external shed next to the granny flat. It currently has the toilet/shower/laundry area as you can see from the floor plan. Can someone tell me if we can dismantle it ourselves? I'm just a bit worried about the toilet and sewer. Or will we need a plumber to seal off things? Please advise. Thanks.

Attachments

• floorplan.JPG
    floorplan.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 321
Back