Small house fan

I love small houses (and really don't like project homes like in Homeworld).

I'm looking to buy a small plot close to city and build a home for my 4 member family - probably around the size of a terrace with similar dimensions - 3bd, 3bthrm.

I have my eye on a small plot of land for sale right now - and I know council will approve my idea.

In terms of starring in my own "Grand Designs" how do I do this? - contact architecture firms and get quotes? Do you pay per hour? I have no idea. Any recommendations for good builders or architects in Sydney who are quirky/creative/small house friendly?

and I thought this was a post about a small fan for the house ...

would you consider renovating an inner city terrace in Sydney, Darlinghurst, Enmore, Newtown?

Talk to an architect, get it designed, approved and then get quotes off builders.

Architect should have a good idea on costs based on other projects they have done.

Thanks for replies. i already own a rundown terrace but don't want to live there and also don't want to renovate. Have little skills or interest in that.

I want to design a spanking brand new amazing house, just not a huge one. The suburbs I like (and where my family are based) are not in the terracy places. I don't want to live in the inner west/darlo as lived there for 10 years and too annoying vv noise, parking, people throwing furniture from the windows etc etc :)

So I'll make an offer on the block and start talking to council and architects. Does it cost to get plans approved? I understand DA apprvl costs a bit

You have many options for the design - a draftie, a builder or an architect. All 3 can submit to council for you and the council fees vary for each one - call you local and find out how much it costs to have it approved - often it's a % of the construction value.

If you get a draftie or architect you will then own the design and you can shop it around builders. This can save or cost you money. Some builders don't like quoting off other people's designs, some will be competitive because they know you are shopping it around.

I'm building on 140sqm (9.7m wide) with 2 stories plus a loft and it sounds similar. I love the challenge :) So far it will have double garage, courtyard, living, dining, kitchen and laundry on ground, then 2 bedrooms and a lounge and bathroom on middle, master bedroom and ensuite in loft

You're probably already in action on this but in case you're still looking, Archicentre have a service for $1500 where they match you with an architect who will make plans to your specs and for your land size etc. They also do a consult/feasibility service for $695 (these are Victorian prices, might be more for NSW).
Saves having to hunt around and if you hate their work there's a guarantee. We just booked in to have someone help us out with a reno.

Back