Small studio reno

Has anybody done up a very small apartment? We've just bought a studio in Cairns mostly for our use during our "sanity breaks" from Port Moresby. We live on a boat in Moresby so we've ajusted to small spaces over the years, but we'd like maximum comfort given the space constraints. Cost is not really a problem (i.e. we're prepared to pay for quality). Any sources of ideas for renovating or upgrading very compact spaces?

Hi Celeste

No useable photos yet - my camera refused to cooperate. Think of a motel unit: basically a box (about 5m by 5m) with the corner taken out for the bathroom. Has a fold down bed which I intially intended to take out but changed my mind. What I'm after is design ideas for things like a mini-kitchen and bathroom. I found a book called The Small Space which has a few interesting ideas, but is short on practical aspects like small appliances available in Australia, dimensions for kitchen design etc. Have found some things like a mini-dishwasher but would like to hear from anyone who has already done some research in this area, and particularly done a small unit reno, who can give some hints on what to avoid, what worked etc. For example elsewhere in "Adding Value", someone advised that large tiles give the feel of greater space - something I wouldn't have thought of. Also loved the glass brick wall and the skylight. See, I've got some ideas to chew over already!

Cheers

Hi Tikor,

If it's in your area - go and have a look at Ikea - they have entire "display areas" for studio type apartments - for instance the 30m2 home - and some great ideas for maximising space. If you don't like their quality - you can always take their ideas and go elswhere.

Some things I've seen (at Ikea and many other places) that might be helpful - 450cm dishwashers - one drawer dishwashers - or above bench dishwashers (personally don't like the look of these though); european laundries in kitchens - or washer/dryer combos; built in wall toilets to save space; wall cupboards in places you wouldn't think possible; tiny vanity units; wall fold out beds, etc, etc.

Also - go and check out some of the studio hotel style self contained apartments that are for sale, should give you some great ideas!

Cheers,
Jen

We are doing 12 studio apartments. Like you, we needed inspiration.
This site has helped us immensely www.chipmanhill.com
The first one you look at when you "enter" looks exactly like one of ours.
There are many on this site that may inspire you.

I looked at a studio apartment where the owner had pull out drawers under the bed that went all the way back to the wall so all the space under the bed can be used for storage. Think trundle bed but drawers slide out instead.

Here are some ideas. A bit random.

Some topics have more than once concept because I am not saying any will specifically fit Kathryn or Tikor but they may help others even for kid's rooms....

TV watching;
Wall mount tv/video/dvd so you do not need a devoted piece of furniture taking up floor space. Place so it can be seen from bed and kitchen (aaand possibly the bathroom :D )

Eating;
Bench and barstools instead of dining set. Like one would sit at bfast bar.
Coffee table and lounge instead of dining set
Fold down 1/2 dining table you can push against wall or pull out and use. But is it necessary if you are not entertaining? If you are happy to picnic off the coffee table or dine Middle Eastern/Japanese style then think of coffee table/lounge option.

Sleeping;
Ikea has queen size beds that are elevated and space underneath can have desk etc. Often in college dorms.

Sitting;
Instead of one large 3 seater get two separate armchairs. Can be moved about and take less room. Footstools can be used for additional seating at a pinch.
Lounge or chairs that do not go all way to floor will give feeling of space. Solid pieces will seem larger since you can't see the tiles/flooring and so the space will seem more packed in.

Kitchen;
Ensure all items have more than one use (frypan can be used as wok but not necessarily vice versa, pressure cooker comes with conventional lid also)
No toaster. It takes up bench space. Use the grill in the stove instead.
Microwave on bracket on wall.
Store pots/wok in oven when it is not in use.
Dishwasher, is it necessary since one is unlikely to be entertaining in a studio apt but if it is a must then The Good Guys had one that was approx $500 and fits on the benchtop.

Misc;
Hooks on back of doors/inside pantry
Linen press, who says one can't put kitchen things in there?
Bathroom cabinets. If you are very clever the cleaning stuff from under the kitchen sink can go in here and the kitchen cupboards are freed up for other stuff.
Lighting - does make a diff.
Mirror opp window
Lots of small pics on wall will make things look cluttered. Go for one large print or framed memorabilia or wall mounted vintage kimono (whatever is your style, you get the idea)
Pinboard inside pantry/linen press/back of laundry door. Magnets and papers all over fridge makes the place look cluttered.

Hi all

I love IKEA

I am putting a convention microwave $ 700.00 in my next apartment reno instead of a stove - otherwise you can get a mini oven with 2 hot plates on top from any elect outlet for less than $50.00

Ikea have great ideas - a table that attaches to the wall and folds away.
I have one of those large pigeon hole (16 holes) shelving units, can be used as a divider with access from both sides. they have a smaller one with 8 holes you can stand up or lie down (I use one when I dress the apartments as a T.v stand ) they have coloured cube storage boxes to put in it.

Check out hafele web site (cabinet do dads) they have variuos brackets, so you can have fold out benches drop down benches etc. they have their whole catalogue on the site - I have an account so I can get you prices if you give me the cat no.

Ikea have beds with storage under or in the bed head (that ones really cool)

I find IKEA quality to be as good as any.

Celeste

We renovated a 45 sq m unit in Darwin and instead of putting in an oven or cook top we just did a bench top with range hood over head which allowed any appliance to be plugged in under the range hood i.e. two burner hotplate, deep fryer, mini oven, electric fry pan. Also we put a convection microwave in a shelf above the bench top. This has worked very well and when not cooking anything it gives you a lovely clear bench to use for food preparation or what ever else you need it for.

good luck
Diane

Thanks everyone - some good ideas there. I will look in on Ikea next time I go back to Oz.

Diane: interesting idea to use appliances instead of a stove. I was thinking along those lines, maybe just a convection/microwave.

I think the project is starting to come together ...

Tikor,

I'm sure when I was in a big newsagency yesterday there was a magazine all about studio unit designs, fitouts etc. It was in an area where there are lots of small apartments. I'll see if I can find a title.

I'm intrigued about how you ended up living on a boat in Port Moresby?

Depreciator

My wife would only come up and join me here if I could guarantee secure accommodation, and the Royal Papua Yacht Club is the most secure address in Post Moresby. Turned out that it's much cheaper than renting an apartment as well.

Back