smart meters

They can benefit you if you change your habits.
Best for singles or just a couple, don't think they would work for families.
After I had the smart meter fitted it really didn't effect the power bill much,
when I purchased energy saving white goods and experimented with the
washing machine using off the peak tariff the power bill went down to $180
per quarter, with solar fitted (1kw) have not had a power bill last 12 months,
currently in credit of $220.

My washing machine plug is plugged into a timer to come on after 10pm for
off peak rate because I cant be bothered going down stairs to turn it on at
that time and I'm not up early enough to turn it on before the off peak time
finishes in the morning currently 7am

People just go out and purchase the biggest brightest product they require
and don't look at the energy rating label, this is the first thing everyone
should be doing before deciding on a particular brand/product.

Off peak 10pm - 7am

They can benefit you if you change your habits.
Best for singles or just a couple, don't think they would work for families.
After I had the smart meter fitted it really didn't effect the power bill much,
when I purchased energy saving white goods and experimented with the
washing machine using off the peak tariff the power bill went.

nww
Our son is doing experimenting too to reduce power consumtion charges.

He has had a smart meter fitted and in his kitchen he has the readout so he can glance up and see how much each applicance costs to run.

He has a timer on his hot water booster to come on for 15 minutes before he gets home from work, automatic light switches in some rooms and he told me he was fitting a timer on the microwave so it switches off 15 minutes after he uses it.

Once he gets it all worked out we will replicate at our place and our daughters place.

Regards
Sheryn

We are not talking about the meter reader "thingy" that is installed under the government offer where we can see how much power each appliance uses, are we?

We are not talking about the meter reader "thingy" that is installed under the government offer where we can see how much power each appliance uses, are we?

No, that is different again.

Casserole Dish
In your situation I would be looking for an energy provider with a flat rate.

Just did a quick search and was surprised by how many choices of company you get. Red energy and Momentum energy the 1st 2 I looked at both had flat rate plans listed. I'm sure the others will as well.

I'd have a play around at a few of the websites like switchwise.com.au or goswitch.com.au that do comparisons and find the best deal for you.

If you google "energy comparison" a whole range of similar websites come up ... might be worthwhile

This all sounds like it will add nicely to my high stress levels given I'm a stay-at-home mum with two little kids. :mad:

Sorry to say so but it might.
MIL is stay at home retiree ... and going nuts over this at the moment.
The other bit she find's it hard to absorb is that it's not going to make any change to the overall energy consumption (change of habits that is); unless she's prepared to fork out fair few $$$ to switch over to energy efficient appliances, etc ... which is a bit hard for someone on her income.

I'd have a play around at a few of the websites like switchwise.com.au or goswitch.com.au that do comparisons and find the best deal for you.

If you google "energy comparison" a whole range of similar websites come up ... might be worthwhile

that's a good idea. Looked at these sites a while back and perhaps time to revisit. I wonder if they do ToU (Time of Usage) tariffs as well?

I have an electric hot water service that runs on night rate power, we have two meters. If (when) I get a smart meter what will happen with the hot water. Will I have to install some sort of timer so it switches on at night or will that be up to the meter people?

I have an electric hot water service that runs on night rate power, we have two meters. If (when) I get a smart meter what will happen with the hot water. Will I have to install some sort of timer so it switches on at night or will that be up to the meter people?

You will still be able to receive off peak hot water with a smart meter.

I also made a big saving on my hot water bill by turning down the
thermostat to the minimum setting of 65 degrees.

Download this and put it in your meterbox.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/do-not-fit-a-smart-meter/20110208-1akyx.html

At this stage it is not mandatory as it is under review.

Lock your meterbox and cut out a square,so meter reader can still read your meter.
Or take a photo of your meter,with the date and stick it on your meterbox on approx day of reading.You DON'T want an estimated bill,trust me.

When you get a letter re:smart meter installation,call the number on the bottom page and tell them you are putting off installation until the gov has finished the review.They will put you on the defer list.

Again make sure you lock your meterbox,i work in this industry,i've heard from customers having smart meters installed without the letter.They are suppose to give you 1-2 weeks notice.I've had complaints from customers ie:Letter received monday,smart installed next day while i was out,1 example of many.

I've had many customers complain how there bills have risen 3-10 fold.

It's a scam,money generator,TOU tariffs exploitation as well the wireless transmissions radiation?

In years to come,who knows what health issues will arise with mobile phones,wireless transmissions etc....It may turn out like asbestos,who knows?

I've got rid of my wireless devices and use an earpiece for my mob,i'm not taking the punt.

I had solar panels put on the roof nearly 2 years ago. Our daily use was about 7 kwh/day and the solar panels registered aboout 4.5 kwh/day coming form the sun. Our bills never changed. I'm still fighting Ergon over this.

Also our daylight-hours use was less than 0.5 kwh with bulk of our use at night. According to Ergon, 3 of the 4.5 was being used during the day and so we were only rebated for the remaining 1.5 which was being uploaded to their grid. So it supposedly took 3 kwh/day of solar power to offset less than 0.5 of grid power.

No-one can explain any of this and as far as we can tell there is nothing wrong with the panels, only the Smart Meter.

We are in regional Qld so have no alternative to buy power off and we also do not have differential tariffs so there is no logical explanation.

I did a lot of Googling and Netting about this, there are lots with similar stories and so far no-one can do anything about it.

I reckon they're bloody ridiculous . Basically , we're just getting ripped off so badly that they've decided to force a new gadget onto us that is suppose to pick it up but from what I've heard it's a crock anyway.

If they really want to be such a nanny state and do something bloody useful , why don't gov's just crack down on power mobs and the many others too actually , like supermarkets, Telstra , fuel , tradies, councils , retail and on it goes , that just blatantly rip us off blind left right and center and are just going on their merry way.

If anyone has had a smart meter installed while they were and still under review without your consent.Call your power company who owns the electricity lines/poles/meters and ask for your old meter,if they refuse,threaten legal action,if they refuse,take legal action.
As there under review and not mandatory it is illegal to install without your consent.

Do not waste your time calling your retailer.

Those who have a smart meter and want it uninstalled.One way is to get a letter from your doctor,that it's affecting your health.

Ps.I wonder if people will get a refund or discount on electricity if gov regulates that your under no obligation to have a smart meter installed.As we are paying for smart meters factored into our bills already.Pigs fly...

Back