So what opportunities are out there in this economy?

Business I mean. Apart from investing in property and maybe stock market, what else is out there?

Are there opportunities for the service industry? I'm currently working in a hardware based industry and see that there might be opportunites because of the lack of customer service. There are a few good people around but not many.

So what about you? What opportunities do you see if your industry is outside real estate? Where do you think the money flows at the moment?

I think right now people would happily foresake good service if you can give them good deals/prices. We are sick of getting ripped off on everything we buy (food, electronics, books you name it).

I think right now people would happily foresake good service if you can give them good deals/prices. We are sick of getting ripped off on everything we buy (food, electronics, books you name it).

The business owner would probably think it a good idea to reduce hours and have wage rises slow, reduce paid leave and loading, and abolish penalties too, and for departments and retail LL to reduce their rents and fees and charges. Many of them are sick of 'having' to charge too much as well :D.

opportunities are what you make of them. there are ppl making dollars doing other things like a designer bag cleaning business.

Met the person who imported the chain from overseas. he openned another branch now he is the main dude doing it for all the main designer brands (the official authorised cleaning agent)

in my view...with the high AUD - should look outside australia.

everything here especially electronics, building products and the over rated architects and designers contribute to the problem of overpriced services and goods.

everything here especially electronics, building products and the over rated architects and designers contribute to the problem of overpriced services and goods.

i'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

architects by nature design works of art to reside in.

architecture swings as much into art as it does shelter. if someone is willing to pay for an artistic experience, why should they not? architects don't force themselves on a building sector, people seek them out.

that makes them a discretionary purchase, which would mean they have a negligible effect on overall prices.

and if i gave you the wage figures fomr someone designing all those display homes you walk through and standard models you see in the paper, providing you with a choice of abode for your overly emotional purchase, you'd start to realise your statement couldn't be further from the truth.

after all, you could always try to get 6 units on a 5 unit site yourself, or try to navigate local and state planning annals and construction issues and BCA while you do so, while still designing an attractive product the market wants to buy that flows well and is furnishable?

hmmm.....

The business owner would probably think it a good idea to reduce hours and have wage rises slow, reduce paid leave and loading, and abolish penalties too, and for departments and retail LL to reduce their rents and fees and charges. Many of them are sick of 'having' to charge too much as well :D.

So many people choosing to shop online must be hitting businesses too.

It's a sign of the times. I was recently looking to purchase a floor rug with a budget of $250, so I went to my local retailers to see what I could find - I found a nice rug ($279) and asked the owner if she'd take $250 cash for it (the notes I had in my purse for my expected purchase). Nope. She wouldn't budge on the price. Neither would I. SO, when I came home, I jumped on the internet and found, purchased and ordered a rug of the same size, make and colour for $149 + 29.95 delivery fee. It arrived by courier three days later - the courier even carried it up to my lounge room for me. It left me wondering not only what the costs were for the local business owner, but also what their mark-up was - and also if they are feeling the pain from the internet.

It's a sign of the times. I was recently looking to purchase a floor rug with a budget of $250, so I went to my local retailers to see what I could find - I found a nice rug ($279) and asked the owner if she'd take $250 cash for it (the notes I had in my purse for my expected purchase). Nope. She wouldn't budge on the price. Neither would I. SO, when I came home, I jumped on the internet and found, purchased and ordered a rug of the same size, make and colour for $149 + 29.95 delivery fee. It arrived by courier three days later - the courier even carried it up to my lounge room for me. It left me wondering not only what the costs were for the local business owner, but also what their mark-up was - and also if they are feeling the pain from the internet.

I'm a big online shopper too. It's definately is a sign of the times. A bit like manufacturing going overseas - retail is too.

The longer retail outlets are forced to keep prices down though the faster you'll see them close, although alot of the clearing of stock at the moment is caused by more than people shopping online.

I just don't think people should expect most businesses to wear making little or no profit and remaining open to serve the public.

an aside to this - i'm looking for a pipe bender.

locally, i've found one for $209.

online they're $149 + $65 shipping (they're bloddy heavy bits of kit).

manufacturing has it perks if you can find your niche.

Working on that atm ... although other associates idea of "soon" in "try and get it done in a couple of weeks!"

Planning on control entire supply chain from totally raw, raw material thru to retails ... although will be contracting out most of the processes and will wholesale as well as online.

Self help and business coaching seem to be doing pretty good right now ... as well as on-line inspirational programs.

It left me wondering not only what the costs were for the local business owner, but also what their mark-up was - and also if they are feeling the pain from the internet.
Generally 2.2 x wholesale price

I've been shopping for quite a few household goods lately and found that "The good guys" even price match from online retailers which I thought was impressive.. but then you have online retailers that include delivery, fitout, and removal of the old item for free!!

Met the person who imported the chain from overseas. he openned another branch now he is the main dude doing it for all the main designer brands (the official authorised cleaning agent)
I was just thinking about something similar the other day - maintenance of a specialty item and what a good business that might be.. just wish I could remember what it was!!

Service do go a long way, doesn't it

I work for the suppliers of the big 'B' and often get asked if I can help. I normally tell people that I don't work there but the supplier but try to help if I can. I often get the comment 'well, it seems like nobody else work here either'.

Even the replies to this thread seems like service is valued as well, eg the carpet brought up, fast delivery and other little things that make a big difference.

I work for the suppliers of the big 'B'

I used to work for the big 'B' too!
I was the night manager, so rarely had much to do with customers, but you're certainly correct that customer service is valued.
It seems retail really needs to take what it can get, by way off staff. Terrible hours/pay etc.
They need staff. End of story. If applicants for the positions are crap, they will pick the best of the crap! What else can they do!

i'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

architects by nature design works of art to reside in.

architecture swings as much into art as it does shelter. if someone is willing to pay for an artistic experience, why should they not? architects don't force themselves on a building sector, people seek them out.

that makes them a discretionary purchase, which would mean they have a negligible effect on overall prices.

and if i gave you the wage figures fomr someone designing all those display homes you walk through and standard models you see in the paper, providing you with a choice of abode for your overly emotional purchase, you'd start to realise your statement couldn't be further from the truth.

after all, you could always try to get 6 units on a 5 unit site yourself, or try to navigate local and state planning annals and construction issues and BCA while you do so, while still designing an attractive product the market wants to buy that flows well and is furnishable?

hmmm.....

the reasoning is my personal bad experience of say 10 out of 15 i have dealt with. Many are condescending and overrate themselves. i had one interior designer saying hey i only working for 8 hours after that dun bother to call me or email me but i expect payment promptly.

and half of them also go for the high end fixtures etc (yeah it looks good, and then not worry about cost etc) but i just want to be in the papers or magazines however i still hold rights to have the pictures taken first.

nobody is saying they dun exist for a purpose but my experience is they generally have a bad attitude with a high price attached. Again maybe i was unlucky in my choices.

This is exactly what more of us need to do.....this should set the silly Australian retailers straight.

By doing this you do cause businesses to close...this then affects people like Westfield who charge ridiculous rents...when they have excess capacity then they drop their rents and voila....things become competitive again.

As a landlord I have had to do this to run my business ....why can't the Big boys face the same situation.

I also want heavy industry and transport wages dropped...this has an impact on our overall living costs as this affects things like shipping, transport, logistics, and construction. Some of these guys are making stupid wages for doing little or semi-skilled jobs....if wages here drop so does our cost of living.

Parallel importing of food and grocercies also keep pricees down.

This is exactly what more of us need to do.....this should set the silly Australian retailers straight.

By doing this you do cause businesses to close...this then affects people like Westfield who charge ridiculous rents...when they have excess capacity then they drop their rents and voila....things become competitive again.

As a landlord I have had to do this to run my business ....why can't the Big boys face the same situation.

I also want heavy industry and transport wages dropped...this has an impact on our overall living costs as this affects things like shipping, transport, logistics, and construction. Some of these guys are making stupid wages for doing little or semi-skilled jobs....if wages here drop so does our cost of living.

Parallel importing of food and grocercies also keep pricees down.

I agree. It is the Westfields, Centros and GPTs that are killing Australian retail. But it's not entirely their fault - people choose to rent those shops, they don't force them to.

Wanna do well in this economy? Become a tradie (doesn't matter what type) what actually does what they say they will do, when they say they will do it.

Back