Software programs for property investment analysis

I've just been reading Michael Yardney's property book which is worthwhile and he mentions that he uses Jan Somers Property Investment Analysis (PIA) software. It does look interesting and worthwhile, has anyone else here used it or have any comparisons to compare it with?

+1 For PIA Software as it does all the calcs i require when cruching the numbers on a property,have added link to Quick Start PDF guide to give you an idea on what it can do.
Also a link for trail version-have a drive of the software and see what you think?

Demo Software
http://www.somersoft.com.au/software/demos.htm

Quick Start PDF Guide
http://www.somersoft.com.au/Software/PIA Quick Start.pdf

Cheers
Michael

Just trying out the trial version the format and layout seems very old fashioned, like something from 10+ years ago, is the full/professional version a little better?

Can you probably setup this excel template with the same input parameters and outputs pretty easily yourself?

It was written 10+ years ago! Even back then my initial thoughts were that it is written in Excel.

Ian has been steadily updating it to keep it up to date with the changing legislation, stamp duty figures, etc. It's still one of the best software packages out there even if the interface does look dated.

PIA is used my many buyers agents, property groups, investors, etc. I've yet to see anything on the market that comes close.

Agreed PT Bear you can have a pretty software interface but if it lacks detail in reports & useability forget it..
IMHO this software has both in spades

Ive been actively investing in residential real estate for the past 14 years.

Over that time I have seen and trialled various software/spreadsheets available.

In my opinion PIA is simply the best and comes 2nd to none.

Ive been actively investing in residential real estate for the past 14 years.

Over that time I have seen and trialled various software/spreadsheets available.

In my opinion PIA is simply the best and comes 2nd to none.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not that familiar with the space could you please name some of the other software programs out there? Also does the full/professional version have a better interface than the trial demo version? Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not that familiar with the space could you please name some of the other software programs out there? Also does the full/professional version have a better interface than the trial demo version? Thanks.

If you do a google search you will find a few programs, Posh is just one.

I dont know about you, but for me the detailed functions performed & user friendliness of a program is more important than aesthetics.

Its purely a tool - an extremely good value for money and detailed property investment analysis tool at that.

I hope this helps.

On the programs IRR methodology is that based purely on post tax cash flows, or is it post tax cash flows + unrealised CG?

Also does anyone know the valuation template to the IRR, eg does it use a certain number of years cash flows and then a terminal growth cash flow as well as terminal growth cg?

On the programs IRR methodology is that based purely on post tax cash flows, or is it post tax cash flows + unrealised CG?

Also does anyone know the valuation template to the IRR, eg does it use a certain number of years cash flows and then a terminal growth cash flow as well as terminal growth cg?

Here is the PIA user guide. It will explain all about it.

There is also a FAQ too.. Click Here then hover your mouse over the 'Support' button for further menu info.

It explains everything about it.

Enjoy!

I had used Grants Investment Calculator, which i bought about 5 years ago. Seems its no longer being supported or sold though, not i guess its not really adding anything here!! But it does CG and equity scenarios, pre and post tax etc quite well.

I also use a few free apps on my Android phone and Apple devices to get quick cash-flow analysis - for the first years anyhow, they don't handle future years depreciation and CG benefits. I am creating my own quick analysis app to have it do things a little better, still won't do CG and multiyear analysis as good as the above mentioned sw though.

PIA Pro

This by far the best piece of software for a property investor to own. If there is only one tool you invest in, this would have to be it.

If there is one piece of paper you need to have read when you buy your next investment, it would be a complete PIA report.

PIA will save you from your costly mistakes, and it come with it's own crystal ball.

Yes, you can see into the future to see how your cash-flow is going to change. It allows you to set future changes in interest rates, management fee, rates, etc and therefore plan for changing costs. There is so much PIA can do, it is a must buy! (IMHO)

We love it and give clients full print-outs for all properties we buy for them.

Does the non-Pro PIA version have the ability to enter different owners?

ie some properties owned by individuals, some in joint names, some owned by company/trust?

(Even better if it can accept shares in an unlisted property trust, too....?)

Back