Soil Tests before purchasing land and house package

Hi, I have found a house and land package that I would like to purchase, although this question would also apply to land that was already owned.
I have personally known one person that was quoted x amount of dollars for the ground works by the house builder only to find when they done the soil tests that the cost of the slab was going to be $5000 more than they quoted. I have also read on different forums prices being increased by $10000, and a couple of people pulling out of the contract, losing their deposit.
I have been quoted $15000 for the foundations but am very worried that this will escalate drastically when the surveyors get in there. Speaking to an estate agent today, she said "They are all doing that at the moment":eek:
Does anyone know if I can get this soil test done independently and what the cost would be before I sign a contract. There doesn't seem to be any sort of recourse.
Thanks for your help
Snivag

We neogitated to pay a certain price and they would cover the cost if it exceeded that. Be careful though, this is a double edged sword, our costs are actually coming back less, but we don't get that money back because it was a fixed cost not an allowance. Although, for our peace of mind it was what we had to do before signing.

Yes it can and yes you should - its about $1000 and takes a few days. It will provide you with details on what foundations are needed - Builders only quote on basic slabs - most are not basic - so yes expect price to go up

What are the conditions of the house and land package? I would assume it would state / indicate about cost variation ie soil test etc. It maybe worthwhile putting as someone else said a clause in the contract about suitable soil test or I would ask for confirmation of the total package inclusive of the soil test and any extra costs before you sign anything.

Brian

builder/developer **expletive deleted**
they put in the road and sewers and trenched in the ug power and telecoms
and built 8 other homes immediately surrounding the block you look at,
and still wont tell you that you need an m-class slab,
even when you are going to but it regardless and there is no way that somebody will build on that ground with less than an M slab

Does anyone know if I can get this soil test done independently and what the cost would be before I sign a contract....Thanks for your help. Snivag

Snivag
If this is a new subdivision then the soil test would have been by the surveyor.

1. Ask REA or vendor for an electronic copy of the the Geotechnical report before you sign contract. (usually successful).
2. Find out the surveyor's name and ring and ask (not always successful)
3. Go to council and ask them (haven't tried)

Any of above will save you about $1000.00 if an old subdivision then you will need to pay to have one done.

Regards
Sheryn

We're waiting on a soil test ourselves, although our "new homes consultant" doesn't reply to any of my emails and that annoys the heck out of me because I'd actually like to know what is happening and its not like he didn't answer initial questions (before I coughed up a deposit) via email.

The cost of the soil test comes off the contract price, if you do it separately it doesn't unless you can talk them into giving them a credit. We have to pay $4000 of upfront non-refundables for soil tests, council approval yada yada.

Snivag
If this is a new subdivision then the soil test would have been by the surveyor.

1. Ask REA or vendor for an electronic copy of the the Geotechnical report before you sign contract. (usually successful).
2. Find out the surveyor's name and ring and ask (not always successful)
3. Go to council and ask them (haven't tried)

Any of above will save you about $1000.00 if an old subdivision then you will need to pay to have one done.

Regards
Sheryn

What seems to happen here is that you agree to the package in which there is an estimate for ground works, council approval etc. You pay your non refundable deposit and then they do the soil tests.:confused:

Quote: Site works and footings above standard as per engineer specification this is an estimate & subject to variation upon receipt of a construction footing report fully verified by ENGINEERS. This report is site specific & the amount may change.

So basically they give an estimate from other subdivisions nearby but of course YOUR bit of land might be different from the piece of land right next door.
All I want is one of the builders to give me a definitive price for the footings, the three I have been to see all give an estimate. I just need to know, so that I can budget.
Thanks for the replies anyway.
Snivag

I don't think you're going to do much better than the replies here. Variation in footings cost is par for the course with builders. We're on a budget too and are crossing fingers the price doesn't go up toooo much when the soil test comes back. If it does, we just need to keep saving up longer for the deposit.

I would assume as its a house and land package the builders have built others in the same estate so they should have a good idea of the costings for the footings, it should only be issues if difficult block, big slopes and rock.

I know soil will vary within an area but they should get close and not $$000's out.

Brian

What seems to happen here is that you agree to the package in which there is an estimate for ground works, council approval etc. You pay your non refundable deposit and then they do the soil tests.:confused:

Quote: Site works and footings above standard as per engineer specification this is an estimate & subject to variation upon receipt of a construction footing report fully verified by ENGINEERS. This report is site specific & the amount may change.

So basically they give an estimate from other subdivisions nearby but of course YOUR bit of land might be different from the piece of land right next door.
All I want is one of the builders to give me a definitive price for the footings, the three I have been to see all give an estimate. I just need to know, so that I can budget.
Thanks for the replies anyway.
Snivag

The only way that someone is going to give you an exact price is based on house plans and subsequent engineers on those plans. Even then, factors such as rock can vary those prices, and if explosives are required the price can increase more. It is also important to note that project builders have tiny allowances for site slopes before prices increase.

In regards to a true house and land package, the soil classification is irrelevant as all costs are fixed.

Are you looking at house and land packages or are you looking at purchasing a block and then go builder shopping?

Thanks for the replies anyway. Snivag

Estimate is all Builders can give until plans drawn, soil on block tested and Engineer draws his specifications and then costs worked out.

Ring an Engineer, all he will give is an estimate until plans drawn up in your name.

Regards
Sheryn

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear with the first post, all three of the builders I saw were offering house and land packages, with their own 'stock' house designs, (you picked the house you wanted and changed the internal stuff like extra cupboards, different tiles etc etc, I was not changing the floor plan of the property), this is a large development and they had built in the same local.
I am now wondering if I was to buy a plot of land for myself then go looking for a builder and paid for the land survey to get a cost for the groundwork, would the builder accept this, I will find out when the offices open again. Perhaps I am over complicating everything.Thanks again for the replies.
Snivag

Most new estates will have some degree of fill. This fill is usually placed in a controlled manner. As long as you can obtain the controlled fill placement certificate your footing cost should not be higher than the others in the estate.

However, each engineer will have their own interpretation on how a footing should be designed. In a recent construction we had ground beams in a 2m grid pattern through our slab while the house next door only had a perimeter footing which left us puzzled. However, we are not the engineers and we are compelled to build according to the design parameters to get a pass.

Back