Solar panels and Body Corp

Hi. Mum and I were discussion going solar yesterday and she said that her BC forbids them. There's nothing on the BC bylaws we were given two years ago when she purchased her villa. She talks a lot but doesn't come up with the written facts. She said there was a survey done and the decision was that unless everyone got it, then no-one could get it. Does this sound right?

Can a BC forbid an owner from choosing how they get their electricity supply?

Probably not, but that's not the issue.

The issue is you wanting to change the exterior of the building. You most likely don't own the building, and strata laws forbid anybody from changing the way they look on the outside.

You might have the same issue installing solar hot water, too.

Most body corporates restrict alterations to the outside of buildings. If they do allow it, things usually have to be uniform so as to protect the value of the property, rather than a hodge podge of different awnings, solars, external blinds etc.
Marg

They would consider if it the solar is for the general use of the building (common electricity for lightings, lifts, etc). The benefits need to go to all lot owners, not just individual lot.

O silly me. Mum's panels would hypothetically go over the back and hidden from the rest of the complex, it didn't occur to me about the other homes where their's might be visible to everyone else.

Thanks all

It also depends on your electrical set up. You will most likely will fall into two categories;

1. You are currently billed via your BC - Therefore you can install solar to offset your daytime use any remaining power feeds your neighbours for free so a small system would be ideal for this set up depending on daytime power usage.

2. You are currently billed via normal electricity retailer i.e. Origin. - Therefore you can install and solar system like anyone else and you get paid for exports as they are metered by the retailer.

I work in the solar industry, we have installed countless systems on BC, its a bit of a hassle if the panels can be seen to get approval but if their are out of view normally its an easy process just may take some time.

Kieran

Hi. Mum and I were discussion going solar yesterday and she said that her BC forbids them. There's nothing on the BC bylaws we were given two years ago when she purchased her villa. She talks a lot but doesn't come up with the written facts. She said there was a survey done and the decision was that unless everyone got it, then no-one could get it. Does this sound right?

Hi Angel,

I presume your mother's unit is located in QLD? If so, and depending on a few other factors, she may be able to install solar panels with or without Body Corporate approval.

If the Body Corporate By-Laws in relation to improvements made to a lot are contrary to 'sustainable building' initiatives, they have been recently ruled as un-enforceable. Ie - the Body Corporate cannot stop an owner from installing Solar Hot water or Solar electricity panels just because they are ugly.

If your mother owns a townhouse or a low-set unit, i.e. she has her own section of roof, she would be entitled to install the panels, providing the objection of the Body Corporate was only on the grounds of aesthetics.

If your mother is in a high-rise or similar, where she may have a roof but downstairs neighbours do not have a roof, it can be a bit more complicated.

If you want more information, feel free to send me a PM.

Matt

Thanks Guys. It's a lowset villa in Brisbane and she has her own roof area. The northern part is at the back of the building so nobody else would see them.

Back