How do you 'get over' stuff?

Also sounds like what is classified as typical gen Y attitude
Nothing is my fault
Everything is someone else.s fault
I'm entitled to everything and more
If I don't get what I think I'm entitled, then the world has done wrong to me

If that's the 'typical Gen Y attitude', then guess who they learned it from - their parents. This way of thinking spans across all generations, it is not unique to younger people.

With my first child I was working (at a factory) and literally left work..went to the hospital and with an 1 1/2 hrs gave birth.

I found it difficult to go back to work 4 months later...but I did it.
We had our finances structured in such a way, and also being frugal, I quit work 12 months later.

I didn't need adult stimualtion for my sanity...I guess I'm odd that way :)

If that's the 'typical Gen Y attitude', then guess who they learned it from - their parents. This way of thinking spans across all generations, it is not unique to younger people.

oh absolutely, its the helicopter parents that are to blame as well,

fortuantely, this attitude has improved since the GFC, when every 21 year old out of uni was complaining that they werent getting to boss around people double their age, get paid six figures, get car park, allowance, phone, get pay rises every 6 months, and have to stay back at work

ive been told that the late gen Y is now more financially smarter then any of the generations due to the GFC

Partly parents, but also a good deal of media influence.

Our kids are saturated these days (unless you take away every techno gadget) with ads, mags, music video, tv shows etc depicting kids/teenagers/young adults living the life, gettin' everything they want and never having a responsibility to beholden to.

Back to parents; most "higher end" parents are reproducing less, and spend less time with their kids who have to rely on teachers, other carers possibly, and of course; the media selections. Peer group pressure is there too. But generally; less kids around who are likely to do the extra required to be a success.

Meanwhile; at the "other end" the parents are still pumpin' out kids like rabbits, and unfortunately a lot of parents in that end of the demographic don't have a great handle on life values such as responsibility, education, dedication, sacrifice to get ahead and so on. Generally; more kids likely to under-perform and possibly develop a victim/dependant mentaility.

Not saying they aren't good people, but their goals and decisions aren't the same as the "other end" and it ends up in their kid's heads.

yep - spot on.

gen Y's weren't born with any disposition - their attitudes are inherited by the spoilt generation, those last round of BB's who think the world owes them because the exist - then they had kids.

She did have sick pay but not 4mths worth. Another employee a short time later same situation same type of high risk pregnancy was given a different role and was able to stay until just before due.

She knows that the situation can't be changed and she chose to finish early and she should have read through the EBA. It is the 'getting over it' that she is struggling with.

Does anyone have any strategies to help?
- As knowing/ being told to 'get over it' and finding a way to get past it are different.
One friend psychologist suggested it this way, "You cannot live in the past, in the past moment. If you chose to do so you will be stuck there, so the choice is to either be stuck there or to move on...".
If you dwell on the problem, you will only think of the problem whereas if you dwell on the future you will look for a solution, right (if you need one)?
Perhaps, she can relate to past boyfriends or other situations, where she can either dwell why it didn't work out and then eventually move on, otherwise she will still be thinking of that old boyfriend or the problem and be stuck there!
I also saw once an episode on Opera where a couple lost 3 children, at very young ages, in a car accident (a truck just smashed to the back of the car - due to poor road visibility). The same question was posed, and the therapy was lots of communication, perhaps spending few minutes a day on the problem, and then realising it was out of their control, hence moving on.
The solution was a birth to triplets (exact match, cannot remember but I think 2 girls 1 boy). What a miracle, right!
Personally, when I think of a solution I always will try to answer this question, what would have been worse, when would I feel worse? Would your friend feel worse, if she had received the money and had complications, or her current situation? I know, I would feel worse if anything would have happened to my child (to a human being) rather than losing money (material thing).
I hope that helps!;)

One friend psychologist suggested it this way, "You cannot live in the past, in the past moment. If you chose to do so you will be stuck there, so the choice is to either be stuck there or to move on...".
If you dwell on the problem, you will only think of the problem whereas if you dwell on the future you will look for a solution, right (if you need one)?
Perhaps, she can relate to past boyfriends or other situations, where she can either dwell why it didn't work out and then eventually move on, otherwise she will still be thinking of that old boyfriend or the problem and be stuck there!

agree with you, however, I like to learn from my mistakes, I think reflection is important........and maybe thats why im not as successfull as bill gates

for example, if I have too many failed relationships in a row, since iam the common point, I assume that it has to do with me, and try and fix it

as I said, maybe if I didnt think like that, maybe I would be in a better place/position!

for example, if I have too many failed relationships in a row, since iam the common point, I assume that it has to do with me, and try and fix it

as I said, maybe if I didnt think like that, maybe I would be in a better place/position!

that's a great line of thinking precursory to throwing yourself off a bridge - or compiling a statistics' report.

sometimes people have - without knowing it - a thought process that always has them seeking out better options.

and with these people - more often than not - they tend to do the same in relationships.

just ask yourself if that person makes you happy. if that's the case, then the s**t's alright.

I also saw once an episode on Opera where a couple lost 3 children, at very young ages, in a car accident (a truck just smashed to the back of the car - due to poor road visibility). The same question was posed, and the therapy was lots of communication, perhaps spending few minutes a day on the problem, and then realising it was out of their control, hence moving on.
The solution was a birth to triplets (exact match, cannot remember but I think 2 girls 1 boy). What a miracle, right!

I couldn't personally see myself moving on from that initial loss. And as great as the new children would be, I bet they still spend a lot of time dwelling on the past.

I couldn't personally see myself moving on from that initial loss. And as great as the new children would be, I bet they still spend a lot of time dwelling on the past.

Our very close friend's son was murdered at 21 years, this was quite some time ago now.
His marriage broke down, he turned to alcohol, he eventually picked up the pieces, remarried and now lives a very productive, good life with his new partner. However, he will never get over it, I don't think anyone could possibly get over something so tragic.

Thank you for your replies. Knowing this person as I do I can see many parts of the feedback given applying to her.

The past is merely a thought arising in the present.
The future is merely a thought arising in the present.

Fully grasped, this knowledge holds the key to not only getting over things, but finding contentment and happiness in your life, in its every moment, regardless of what's been going on or may occur in the future.

Watch this short video: http://youtu.be/T3JzcCviNDk or this even shorter one: http://youtu.be/0Snv88jCtjY

If this clicks, the full 1hr video is here: http://youtu.be/ITTxTCz4Ums?t=2m32s

This insight has been one of the most profoundly positive events of my life.

(I posted this video a week ago to a tumbleweed reception)

Yes they do have the old children's memories all over their house and they do try to incorporate them in their way of life, but I think the dwelling is perceived in perhaps a positive way?
I do not think we ever forget we just try to make the life either move forward, standing still or backward?

Fully grasped, this knowledge holds the key to not only getting over things, but finding contentment and happiness in your life, in its every moment, regardless of what's been going on or may occur in the future.

Yes, interesting, it requires a change in one's attitude, I agree with this. As a result I too have found that I am more at peace with all the things (or problems/challenges) around me. It is really up to us yet so many people the older they get the more unhappy they are, cannot find their peace.
I think personal growth on oneself is imminent if we wish to grow in any other field (even financial), don't you think?

Nice post Richard, I really enjoyed your work on quantum electrodynamics though I wasn't keen on the Manhattan Project.

OP, have your friend watch this short First World Problems Anthem.. it might help her put things into perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxyhfiCO_XQ

You are undoubtedly one of the world's best known scientists but I sense remorse from your involvement. I've visited Hiroshima and felt particularly sad for the 12yo girl who folded 1,000 paper cranes in the belief it would cure her leukaemia caused by radiation.

Back