Solicitor or Conveyancer

Guys,

Who do I get to check the contract before I sign? Is there a difference between solicitor and conveyencer, and how much should it cost for them to do this on a Nth Shore Sydney house?
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Blonde

Solicitor = lawyer. Conveyancer = non-lawyer. I always use solicitors because solicitors can do other things like set up trusts, companies etc that are relevant to purchases.

I have found conveyancers more thorough and diligent and willing to supply more info about everything you need to be aware of. And they are cheaper. Solicitors seem to like to create problems .

I have recently used a conveyencer for the first time (long story). Yes I will save a couple of hundred dollars (not much really).

The difference I found that the conveyancer (who is not qualified to give advice) doesn't give advice. They just printed out the special conditions and said this is what you need to consider. Now I have read lots of contracts so knew what it all meant and what I needed to be wary of. But I asked anyway- what does it mean? She said - I just have to let you know. I asked is there anything I need to be worried about. She said- it's pretty standard.

Now in the past m solicitor would have read it, sent off a letter with things we don't agree with and then let me know the decision and his recommendations and advised what conditions are not negotiable and ones we can live with.
Well worth a couple of hundred dollars in my opinion. Especially if you don't know what special conditions mean.

I have been critical of coveyancers in the past, but some are actually much better than solicitors. It depends on the person I guess. The trouble with using some of them is that they are so busy. It is like a factory production line.

Also some solicitors just pass the conveyancing matters on to non lawyers in the office anyway. Many places have unqualified law students doing them 'under supervision'.

If you just want to convey the land from A to B then a conveyancer is the way to go (subject to price). If you want some advice or it any thing happens along the way then a lawyer would be better, generally. Also there are a heap of other issues that may come up 'in conversation' with a lawyer such as structuring, tax, family law, death etc.

+1 for a Solicitor just due to the fact if you transaction happens to go "bad", in a worse case senario, then your Solicitor should be able to handle any issues that may arise but a Conveyancer will only hand you the Yellow Pages.

When purchase fails due to issues pointed out by solicitor

We usually have some idea on what the legal fee would be by the settlement date on our success in purchasing the property.
What we do not know what fee Solicitors would charge once a decision was made to not to go ahead with the purchase.

t

Used a solicitor once - and then conveyancer for the dozen or so since. My conveyancer has been in the business for over 20 years so really knows his stuff and is one the ball.

About half the price of solicitor too.

You have to remember that real estate sales and purchases are the only thing conveancers do - so they are doing it day in, day out, seen everything, heard everything and a good one will know it inside out.

p.s. you don't have to have a solicitor/conveyancer in the town you are buying - as long as they are in the same state. I've used mine for over 10 years and never met him.

lizzie;855060. About half the price of solicitor too.[/QUOTE said:
Can you please tell us what price you would pay? Base price? before the searches etc.

The conveyancer I used wasn't half the price.

I have also found that the searches even can have different charges also, depending who does them.

My solicitor didn't charge me for the few that I didn't go ahead with. But he knows I'll buy more.

In most cases a conveyancer is more than adiquate. When you do need advice, it's a good idea to have one who has immediate access to a solicitor.

As conveyancers do almost nothing else but property transfers, they tend to have the job down to a well defined process. My general experience is that solicitors may be more qualified, but the conveyancers get the straight forward transfers done much easier. Statistically I've had more problems with solicitors than dedicated conveyancers.

The difference between a good conveyancer and an average one is when something happens outside of the normal process. Most conveyancers are heavily process driven and but the good conveyancers are able to think outside the process and solve the problem. They also know when to hand it over to a solicitor. For that reason it's best to go with a conveyancer who comes well recommended by a broker or banker (someone who has dealt with a lot of different conveyancers).

If it's a property transfer of a single residential title, use a conveyancer. If it's a complex deal, take it to a solicitor.

Set fee of $1,066 including searches etc.

If that's normal in NSW I have to say that it is expensive compared with Victoria.

I paid similar amount for a solicitor for a more complex deal in September. Vendor's affairs were really messy with nasty divorce, court orders, rate payments in arrears, garage was built without council's approval etc.

A lot of the larger "Conveyancer" type buisnesses around my way seem to charge either the $880 or $990 fee fixed. My Solictor was $1300 and including a will update for both my partner and myself. I have heard some pay around $1600 locally depending on Solicitor used.

Hi,

I am on the North Shore, here is one of each that I recommend to clients. I am not sure what they charge / what the difference in price is. If I was doing a purchase for myself I would use Anthony.

Julie Lobascher
Based in Castle Cove / Roseville Chase
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (02) 99247496
Fax: (02) 99247495
Mobile: 0407247495

Anthony Hamer (preferred)
Hamer & Hamer Solicitors
Address: Suite 6/2 St Johns Avenue, GORDON NSW 2072
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (02) 9498 8021
Fax: (02) 9498 5551