Somersoft Seminar

Had a great day with Ian & Jan in Sydney today with plenty of info available including the P.I.A. softwarwe.

However I did come away with some mixed thoughts.

I felt the presenters assumed that most people had a good idea how to use the P.I.A. software.

To me some of the P.I.A. segment was rushed and some of the figures were used was brushed over with limited explanation. I think because Ian & Jan have used this program for a number of years they conducted the seminar at thier pace with not enough time spent on explaining what they were doing on some sections of the program. Some sections of the program were complicated and explainded too fast at times.

I have been using P.I.A. for 18 Months and I thought that I would like to learn more about the program, however I feel I understand the program a little more than I did before.

I have been to a few seminars and I feel that some of the time is used up on general chatter etc, instead of sepending more time on the more important issues.

On the other hand the fee was very affordable, the venue was good, the food was good, on the whole it was a great and a very well orginised day and I am glad that I was part of it.

Steve

More dissapointment!!!!

I've just gone in to view my version of P.I.A.per and it dosn't contain all the sections that Ian and Jan spent explaining to all of us today IE; Graphics,Calculator,Home Loan,Wealth Builder etc etc
I'm sure she said that the items disscussed were in P.I.A. Per and Pro.

Have you got the latest version ? Some of the features they mentioned in the last seminar they did were only just added to the software.

G'day Steve,

I've just gone in to view my version of P.I.A.per and it dosn't contain all the sections that Ian and Jan spent explaining to all of us today IE; Graphics,Calculator,Home Loan,Wealth Builder etc etc
I'm sure she said that the items disscussed were in P.I.A. Per and Pro

Steve, put the CD from the workshop in your 'puter, and bring in the new version (which includes a BUNCH of extras that even version 16 didn't have - we got v16 in Jan 03 !!).

I haven't done it yet, but will do it tonight (so, all I can recall from previous updates is that it all just "happened" - self-extracting file, etc - and it just automagically updates your CURRENT version to "the latest and greatest")

Re the other comments, do the update first (so you get all the bells and whistles), then go to some of the later chapters in the workbook. Ian has made them VERY detailed so that you can step thru them at your own pace. And, MANY of the points weren't covered today - lack of time.

As always, I got a lot from today - I learn best by being "shown" (and I talked with a number of others today who learn best this way too).

I felt the presenters assumed that most people had a good idea how to use the P.I.A. software
Yeah, that would be right, Steve, as the rationale for the workshop was to impart a "how/where/why to use PIA" for those (like me) who like being shown.

When I first got my PIA, I easily got confused, and reverted to my own spreadsheets. But, after seeing some of the terrific things that PIA can do when stretched, it has re-ignited my interest in PIA, and I now use it regularly.

If you have trouble with the update, send me a PM - or post here. I'm sure there are a number of readers who can probably point you in the right direction far more easily than me.

Hehe - if all else fails, use the "mail to the inventor" - Ian may yet REGRET adding THAT piece of software ;)

Regards,

Hi Woody,

Have you been to the website and checked that you have the latest version? The software has been updated a couple of times since you would have purchased, and updates are free for people who have purchased the program in the past... If you havent already, you can choose to be notified by email when changes/upgrades occur.

For more information, check here

Jamie :p

edited after reading above - what they said :D

G'day Jamie,

A good point, but Ian did say today that the CD we got today is "pre-release" - thus is not yet available on the website.

But, true, Woody would still get MOST of the "bells and whistles" by doing a simple download from the website - v16 is still pretty damn good !!

By the way, the older (cheaper) version is still "out there" - it used to sell for around $120, while the personal PRO sold for about twice that. Anyone who still has the basic version can upgrade by paying the difference. I don't remember what that basic version was called, but if you already have personal PRO (otherwise known as PIAfpu - I think) then the update should add ALL of the functionality we saw today.

Edited in later: I just followed the link from Jamie, found "Maintenance Update" and got an "http 404" error (i.e. "page does not exist") so I still think the CD is the go !!!

Woody, a couple of things to check - first, open your PIA and scan the words (you know, the ones that we usually ignore unless we REALLY need to use them) - look at the top line - does it say PIAfpu ? Or something else?? A couple of lines further down, it will say something like "personal professional V7.01x" - or something similar. This data could hold the clue, as I believe that Borrowing Calculator (for one) was a very recent edition - I know V7.016 had it, and maybe one or two versions prior (V7.014, perhaps???) but NOT the older versions.

Hope that helps somewhat.....

Regards,

Last edited:
Now getting very depressed,

I stalled the updates from the C.D. that Ian gave to us and still not seeing any of the bells and whistles / calculator etc that was mentioned today.
Maybe if Ian is reading this 'how about some HELP please' please please:( :( :(

Hi All,

I also went to Ian and Jan's seminar today...it was fabulous!!! Thanks to both of you....and of course Les who handed out the name tags and folders exceptionally well !!
I went to the seminar expecting exactly what we got....or what I got out of it. (think that makes sense- you'll have to forgive the brain it's been working hard today !!).

I have loaded my CD and got the latest edition and it's just like it was today.(sorry Steve)..with of course the exception of me driving it .... not Ian.
I still have to master putting in 3 investment properties that we already have....so will need to work on that one..but at least I now know where to start...and the basic steps required.
Venue was great...food was fabulous...learning curve and hosts even better!!!

Jan and Ian, even though you "retired" 10 years ago your commitment to sharing investment knowledge with others must be commended......
:D ..thankyou for a great day!!!
Wid :) :) :)

G'day Woody,
You said:-
I'm sure she said that the items disscussed were in P.I.A. Per and Pro
I note you said "P.I.A.per" - sorry, didn't note that subtle difference before. I couldn't remember what the "cut-down" version was called, but this is probably it. So, the CD update may (or may not) have made any difference for you. Many of the changes in later versions have added "bells and whistles". What SHOULD have changed for you, even with the PIAper version, would have been the new Tax scales, etc. But, no, the extra bits won't be there.

Re Jan's comment, it is only the "professional" versions that have the extra stuff. She actually said the "personal pro" version and corporate(?) pro versions have the "bells and whistles". They actually stopped selling the "cutdown" version some time back, and now, ONLY the "pro" versions are sold. The personal professional version is "PIAfpu" (for personal use).

I made this comment earlier:-
By the way, the older (cheaper) version is still "out there" - it used to sell for around $120, while the personal PRO sold for about twice that
I recall Jan today saying that the personal version (NOT personal Pro) didn't have graphs, Wealth Builders, etc. I now suspect that this is what you have.

You will need to contact Ian directly to update to the "fpu" version. If you have the "cut-down" version, you only need to pay the difference between that and the "fpu" version to get the full functionality.

Sorry, Woody, I really couldn't remember what that earlier version was called, but, PIAper may well have been it !!!

Did you get my PM??

Regards,

Last edited:
I attended the seminar in Brisvegas yesterday and had a wonderful time.

Thankyou Jan & Ian, Jenny and Leslie and was great to meet you all.

My biggest revelation (would you believe) was that you can change the years to include 6,7,8 etc. I didn't think to do that direct on the screen, I was just clicking on the year part and getting only 1-5 or 1-3-5-7-10 etc.

Now if I can just get all 24 of my files right, I'll really be in business. Look out banks, here I come!

Cheers Brenda:D

I, too would like to thank Jan and Ian for their seminar yesterday.

I really enjoyed it, and met some great people, not to mention learning lots from Jan and Ian...

It was a great day well spent,

Thanks again!

asy :D

I also attended the Somersoft seminar in Brisbane yesterday.

I didn't get "any lightning bolts from heaven" but I still feel that it was good value - mainly because it refreshed a lot of ideas in my head, sorted out some confusion regarding different strategies and gave me the opportunity to meet like-minded people.

I also really enjoyed the way that Jan and Jan's husband (sorry Ian :D :D) presented the material and I especially enjoyed the "Al and Bev" case study. Having bought PIA about 8 months ago, I appreciated the way that Ian showed us how to use it (to obtain maximum benefit).

I thought the pace of the seminar was spot-on. In fact, if it was any slower, I would probably have been bored.

For those who have had difficulty using PIA, Ian has had the documentation re-written in recent times. It is now around 140 pages and is on the CD plus available from the Somersoft web site. I haven't read it page by page as yet (I have promised Ian I would) but, on first glance, it looks a lot better than the previous version.

Finally, the seminar gave me (and others such as Asy, DanielB, Brenda, etc) the opportunity to push the BIG (Brisbane Investing Group) meetings. It was also nice for Ian to give BIG a plug at the end of the seminar. Hopefully, we will see a lot of new faces at the BIG Meeting in Oct.

The normal disclaimers - I don't work for Somersoft, not related to Ian and Jan, etc, etc.

I too went to the Somersoft seminar.

It was good to re visit some of their methods and meet new faces.

However I don't have PIA and found the emphasis on using PIA not to my liking

Janfan ..still

Originally posted by kierank
Hopefully, we will see a lot of new faces at the BIG Meeting in Oct.

Ever the optimist, I agree with Keiren, but I hope we will see them at the SEPTEMBER meeting too!!!

hehe

asy :D

Originally posted by asy
... but I hope we will see them at the SEPTEMBER meeting too!!!

You are right Asy. That will teach me to be posting late at night, after a big day at work and a big weekend.

my thanks too...

Ian and Jan, my thanks for the day also. I found the seminar helped put my thoughts into a concise framework and enabled me to be able to evaluate what factors may be limiting me.
The introduction on the matching of investing style with personality type I found really important.

Janfan, I have a software development background and 12 months ago I found myself creating the "mother of all spreadsheets" in Excel in order to be able to properly evaluate prospective IPs. I came across the demo version of PIA and realised that I was wasting my time creating something that was already on the market and had been tried and tested over the past 10 years. I figured that my time developing the mother-of-all-spreadsheets was worth more than the $245 purchase price of PIAfpu. (Usual disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in promoting the sales of PIA or any Somersoft products!);)

Asy, Mac, Kieran, Brenda - good to see you all again - lets keep the ball rolling at BIG. Judging by the number that mobbed me at the end of the day we should have some more aspiring property investors at the next meeting.:D

cheers,
Daniel

Back