Splash back

Hi guys about to tackle my first splash back tiling attempt.

I got 60*30cm tiles on special, if you look at the attached, Do you think tiling horizontally or vertically would look best?

My wife thinks horizontally, I think vertically

Attachments

• 7e5b805a-c70f-42af-8bae-e2fd47e7b516.jpg
    7e5b805a-c70f-42af-8bae-e2fd47e7b516.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 223
I like vertical as it's a bit different. If I were doing horizontal I would stagger them like brick work or add a pencil feature tile in between if you can fit it.

What colour grout and size spacing will you be using?

Hi guys about to tackle my first splash back tiling attempt.

I got 60*30cm tiles on special, if you look at the attached, Do you think tiling horizontally or vertically would look best?

My wife thinks horizontally, I think vertically

horizontally!
i went to a tilers market and they reccomended we lay our splashback horizontally as it will give the illusion of a bigger kitchen.

I like vertical as it's a bit different. If I were doing horizontal I would stagger them like brick work or add a pencil feature tile in between if you can fit it.

What colour grout and size spacing will you be using?

Will be using white grout with the smallest spacers I think it was 1mm

Horizonta I think looks betterl. Easier to clean I think as splashes will be on the bottom. More grout lines near the base to get food in.

I had my heart set on a 60 X 60 tile but as we have a gas cooktop need 65 clearance for the cupboards.:(

Have I got it right when I say vertical .... I'm meaning the way the tiles are in the left hand photo .... Just checking....:p Or am I still on the losing side?

Mystery ...

A little off topic, but a trick i tell my clients and friends, in regards to glass splashbacks, and I've done in my own developments.

You can buy reflective toughened glass for about $60m2 from a glazier. As apposed to $300m2 from a splashback company (It's the same glass minus the colour). They will cut a piece to any size, and cut holes if you need it for power points etc for $30 each.

Go down to your paint store, buy a tin of 2k full gloss paint in any colour you want, buy a foam roller and a disposable tray.

Give the back two coats, making sure you dont leave any lines in it.

Mark exactly where your splashback is going, if it's all between cabinetry, tape up all the edges of the cabinetry , lay your drop sheets on the bench, and paint the wall the same colour you painted the back of the glass, in the same paint.

Let it dry.

Next day, just silicone your splashback to the wall, and bobs your uncle.

You can do most of your kitchen splashbacks for about $150

went vertical. thinks it looks great, still not finished though, ran out of adhesive & needed a ceramic disc for the angle grinder.

cant wait to see it grouted.

Attachments

• splashback.jpg
    splashback.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 148
A little off topic, but a trick i tell my clients and friends, in regards to glass splashbacks, and I've done in my own developments.

You can buy reflective toughened glass for about $60m2 from a glazier. As apposed to $300m2 from a splashback company (It's the same glass minus the colour). They will cut a piece to any size, and cut holes if you need it for power points etc for $30 each.

Go down to your paint store, buy a tin of 2k full gloss paint in any colour you want, buy a foam roller and a disposable tray.

Give the back two coats, making sure you dont leave any lines in it.

Mark exactly where your splashback is going, if it's all between cabinetry, tape up all the edges of the cabinetry , lay your drop sheets on the bench, and paint the wall the same colour you painted the back of the glass, in the same paint.

Let it dry.

Next day, just silicone your splashback to the wall, and bobs your uncle.

You can do most of your kitchen splashbacks for about $150

Where were you at the beginning of the year :(

Back