Sponsoring a Child

I've worked on the board of a community organisation that helps people, and I really struggled with the wastage of donated money that I saw.

Unfortunately this has made it hard for me to give money. We sponsor a child, but when it comes to other donations I am happy to buy an item, or perhaps a food package, or something specific, but generally don't give cash as I fear much of it will be wasted.

I've worked on the board of a community organisation that helps people, and I really struggled with the wastage of donated money that I saw.

Unfortunately this has made it hard for me to give money. We sponsor a child, but when it comes to other donations I am happy to buy an item, or perhaps a food package, or something specific, but generally don't give cash as I fear much of it will be wasted.

Unfortunately, fingers in the pie seems to be an all too often occurrence. Possibly a better option may be to take clothing, books, writing materials to orphanages and distribute yourself, and repeat as often as possible.

Unfortunately, fingers in the pie seems to be an all too often occurrence. Possibly a better option may be to take clothing, books, writing materials to orphanages and distribute yourself, and repeat as often as possible.

Exactly. I'm quite happy to buy something for a specific purpose, but I find that if you just give money it tends to get lost and spilt in the internal processes.

I signed up for a Red Cross programme. The guys came to the door and I was impressed by the programmes they run - e.g. breakfast clubs for school kids in Australia. I asked what % of donations went to admin costs before I signed up and said how important this was to me. They told me it was about 20% which I could live with.

I found out later that nearly the entirety (something like 90%) of my first year's donations would go to the agency that pays the guys who come to the door ...

Argh! Felt like a dope ....

And yet ..without them would I have signed up to the Red Cross?? Someone has to communicate what they do ....

I signed up for a Red Cross programme.
I found out later that nearly the entirety (something like 90%) of my first year's donations would go to the agency that pays the guys who come to the door ...
I am surprised. I have gone door knocking for Red Cross and there was no payment involved--not to me anyway.

I signed up for a Red Cross programme. The guys came to the door and I was impressed by the programmes they run - e.g. breakfast clubs for school kids in Australia. I asked what % of donations went to admin costs before I signed up and said how important this was to me. They told me it was about 20% which I could live with.

Argh! Felt like a dope ....

And yet ..without them would I have signed up to the Red Cross?? Someone has to communicate what they do ....

I once worked for two days in a call centre cold calling small businesses. It was one of those 'good cause' scenarios - we were selling ads to sponsor community publications (police, SES, Neighbourhood Watch etc.).

I found myself intentionally sabotaging calls. The place disgusted me. The better sellers were taking home several thousand a week (well over 100k pa) and the best sellers were taking home over 200k pa. The managers made even more than that.

We were taught every tactic in emotional manipulation imaginable. Every sentence was emotive and designed to make the potential buyer feel like crap if they didn't buy. We were told to use their kids, their grand kids, their nieces and nephews against them. We were to lie about having our own little ones.

They had their routines perfected. The more talented sellers would choose which voice/personality to use based on the 'hello' of the person answering the call, it was like watching a macabre Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine. We had rebuttals to every objection and would guilt the person on the other end until they submitted.

I couldn't do it so I quit. I felt physically sickened by the thought of making a sale. The sellers said they felt good about their job because not only did they make a bucket load of money, but they 'helped the community too'. What a load of crap.

I will never, ever donate to a cold caller or door knocker and I don't even like donating to charities who employ them. Even if a small amount of donated funds do make it to the intended source (and it's only ever a small amount that does), the ends does not justify the means. I will never accept that harassing, manipulating and lying to donors justifies the end and that's how just about every cold caller or door knocker operates if they are any good at their job.

I will likely never earn as much as I could have made in that job, it was a money feeding frenzy for the sellers. Do I regret quitting? Not one bit.

I am surprised. I have gone door knocking for Red Cross and there was no payment involved--not to me anyway.

Most door knockers are not volunteers, the same with cold callers, but occasionally there will be volunteers especially during drives.

If you happen to read my last post, please don't think that it applies to volunteers. They are a completely different species to the salespeople I speak of.

Ice-Bucket-Challenge.jpg

kenya_drought_1111.jpg

I sponsor 2 children (siblings) in Bali through Rotary.

http://www.balischoolkids.org/

The thing I like about Rotary is that they are a not for profit organisation.

The Bali sponsorship money is kept sepearate and is ONLY used to sponsor the Bali children. I have met many of the wonderful volunteers both in Australia and in Bali. As I am a frequent visitor to Bali I have met my sponsor family many times (and the previous family I sponsored).

School attendence has jumped considerably since this project commenced, and it started with one Roatarian couple who sponsored a few children.

And how much does it cost?

For A$130 a School-Kits year per student, the following is provided:

1 set school Uniform

1 set exercise Uniform
1 set scout Uniform
1 Cap
1 School Tie
1 Belt
2 pairs of shoes (1 pair per semester)
4 pairs of socks (2 pairs per semester)
1 School Bag
12 pcs writing Books
6 ball point pens
6 pencils
2 rulers
2 eraser
Plus some additional facilities or resources for the schools

And it's tax deductible. So cheap but so beneficial.

Just an update, can I just say, after we have sponsored our first child, some really goods things have happened in our lives in the last month or so, none financials and financial benefits have come our ways that we had never expected.

You may hold you personal opinions for whatever reasons, but I can only speak on our behalf, and that is based on our experience, it has been very rewarding, the small amount of donation has given us so much in return, including financial measures.

By giving a bit back each day, life will reward you in mysterious ways

This is something that we have always wanted to do for many years, and we have many made our commitment in sponsoring a child in need, he is a young boy living in the Philippines, (4 years old).

We are not extremely wealthy, but considering giving up $50 a month can help someone's basic needs, that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

We believe that in order to gain, you must first be able to learn to give.

Given many of us here have the ability to help others, please do consider giving a helping hand, one way or another. Financially or in other ways.
There is already too much grief in this world, your help might just bring a ray of light in someone's lives

Sorry I didnt read the posts so I don't know where the conversation is at, but one if the best ways you can help is by skipping the big guys and helping the small in you neighbourhood for eg

http://www.vaks.com.au/index.php

There is a network of people here that actively work on the ground To feed the homeless at our doorsteps and parks, donating $50 a month or 25 kg of sausages would feed a lot of people on certain days that really need it.

IMHO would be far more beneficial than it going to Red Cross monthly for eg by ddebit and you can really see the change and know that ever dollar you donate is going straight to the people that need it.

It's heartbreaking to see young kids 12-19 and even older people living homeless in the streets and parks and In proverty in this day and age

People turn toomuch of a blind eye to it, you can start local and make a bigger differnce faster

Just an update, can I just say, after we have sponsored our first child, some really goods things have happened in our lives in the last month or so, none financials and financial benefits have come our ways that we had never expected.

You may hold you personal opinions for whatever reasons, but I can only speak on our behalf, and that is based on our experience, it has been very rewarding, the small amount of donation has given us so much in return, including financial measures.

By giving a bit back each day, life will reward you in mysterious ways

Well done, I supported canteen for years, look around locally as well, lots of local kids that could do with some food! :)

My wife and I sponsor a child each through a group called http://www.compassion.com.au/

We are so privileged in our country, it's a tragedy that we have so much and share so little.

I have been to a compassion area in El Salvador and seen the difference it makes not just to the child, but their family and their town. I know others that have been to the compassion areas in (I think) Malaysia.

These groups do make a difference in peoples lives. It is my view that the more money you have, the greater responsibility (And ease I might add) you have to help someone else.

As many have mentioned previously, if nothing else, it provides education and education comes hand in hand with health.

The simplest of things like having a tooth brush and known how to use it makes a huge difference to health.

One place I went in El Salvador, they had to walk 7 km each way with their bucket, and climb a hill that we here would consider a 'scramble' if you were hiking - it's hard going without a bucket full of water and kids in tow.

I appreciate the sceptical view of people, I still have that view at times. But regardless of how much it costs to get it to them, it does get there, but of course there is overhead involved.

I do know people that work for this kind of organisation, and I also know they get paid less than they would at a mainstream organisation - that is to keep costs down.

Sadly it does not always work the way you hoped. My sponsor child in El Salvador fell in with the local gang and was removed from being a sponsor child. Knowing how violent the gangs are in El Salvador (look up MS13) it broke my heart. I know have a sponsor child in India.

Some other links for those interested.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.com.au/

https://www.oxfam.org.au/

https://www.oxfam.org.au/explore/millennium-development-goals/

Back